Your weight will probably go up this week - and that's a good thing! :)

It means you have enjoyed yourself and know you can give yourself some treats and it won't matter as part of the larger plan for the year or longer! :smile:

Last year we had a thread where we logged our pre/post holiday weight gains and drops.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10625312/xmas-water-weight-gain-and-drop-give-us-your-data/p1

That thread is a reminder that:
  • You need to eat 3,500 calories over your maintenance calories to gain 1 lb of fat.
  • Even if you eat 3,500 calories over maintenance in one day, you won't gain 1 lb of fat because the body can't convert that much fuel to fat in a day, and a large part of the energy will become waste matter. But if you gain 1 lb in one day, it's highly likely it's not fat!
  • Weight can go "up" due to hormones, increased sodium or carbs (yum!), intense exercise, stress, injury, certain medications (these make the body hold more water mostly for repair) - but that doesn't mean you necessarily gain fat.
  • A large meal or three will increase sodium and carb intake which will increase water weight far more than fat. It's only water!!
  • A large meal or three doesn't mean you will be over your calories for the week, and the week is what matters.
  • Water weight will go back down after hormones settle, and after you get back to your normal calorie limit. Again, see the thread.
  • Any fat gained is no indication that your weight will continue to rise. You control that.

Don't be worried about this week...

Embrace it!

Remember, diet breaks actually speed up the weight loss process!

So now, let's post the lovely treats we're especially looking forward to eating over the coming days! :smile:

I'll kick off with: Gingerbread & Butterscotch Sponge Pudding, and Bailey's Custard.

h9562a1wbt6y.jpeg

qts56hl1ffrc.jpeg

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I'm in maintenance but I really needed to hear this right now since it's been a very loosey goosey quick add calories for the past week and we had our office Christmas dinner last night and I was up 2 lbs today.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    So far it's been cookies:

White Chocolate chip cranberry cookies
    Pecan pie thumbprint cookies
    Salted butter chocolate chunk shortbread cookies
    Scotch shortbread cookies

Oh, and Mexican date night with margaritas! Makes shopping for stocking suffers way more tolerable lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm making Gluten free banoffee pie... having it with Bailey's cream... can't wait!

Weighed myself this morning so I have my starting weight ready!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I gained weight on holiday earlier in the month but have maintained since so now I know I can do it I can keep it up for another week. Salted caramel profiteroles on Christmas Day is my treat, oh and Heston's mince pies are to die for!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Went for a lovely walk this morning while nearly everyone was still asleep.

Having more time to exercise is another reason the holiday period isn't so bad on the weight.

Now I want cookies!
  • jeffrey_ad
    jeffrey_ad Posts: 789 Member
    Making cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    la756pwjp3pj.jpeg
    Rum cake; portioned.
  • KatyCSTinPNW
    KatyCSTinPNW Posts: 28 Member
    I really needed to hear this! Thank you! I’ve been on my journey since May and have been trying to be nice to myself for enjoying cookies and such at work. I am going to relax and worry about getting stricter again after the new year. 👏🏽❤️
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Thanks for this great post! Tomorrow is cookie making day and I have been excited for it and dreading it for weeks." YAY , I love making Christmas eve cookies with my kids", " Ahhh how many calories am I going to eat with all those cookies being made and laying around?" This is a great reminder to just forget my "diet" for the day and just enjoying making memories with my kids.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    jeffrey_ad wrote: »
    Making cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning

@jeffrey_ad @manderson27 @Suuzanne37 @kshama2001

Hmm, whose party shall I crash first? :smiley:

@KatyCSTinPNW @Heidijens123 I'm so happy to hear that, and I hope you have a really lovely time. :heart:
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Shake shack burger and shake, movie popcorn and Junior Mints on Saturday, carrot cake today. I'm not weighing til Wednesday. I'll be fine with the fluctuation.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    I'm actually hoping to drop a kg or two by mid-Jan. :)

The Christmas holiday break is a time for me to exercise more and aside from one or two days, I don't go too crazy with the food.

That said, I will be making a pavlova later. :)

Good thing I went for a 3 km run and 1 km walk and am hoping to a bicycle ride shortly!! :grin:
  • sivyaleah
    sivyaleah Posts: 51 Member
    What a great reminder to all of us.

Today for the first time in 2 months I'm allowing myself to enjoy a lovely Christmas Eve dinner out with my husband. We are having a traditional Feast of the Seven Fishes meal at a local restaurant, which just happens to be high in protein (which I love) and lower in carbs due to the menu. It's 8 course of small plates, dessert is the last one and by chance, it isn't something I'm overly fond of so I probably will easily pass on it.

I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the evening, the meal and company and tomorrow is another day and put it behind me. We won't be doing a big Christmas meal tomorrow although I will be making a nice dinner but it will be more "normal" since cooked at home.

This one meal out of all the ones eaten in 2 months isn't going to make any impact and in the long run. Just going to log it in best as I can (I already gave it my best guessitmate since the menu is online) and move on!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Great thread @Orphia! <3

I've made my traditional batches of shortbread. With a lb of butter in each tray of them, these suckers are caloric and absolutely wonderful. I only make them this time of year for a reason!

Thankfully, I give most of them away to friends and family. :)