Options
arrowprayer
arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
edited December 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Im 185 pounds 5'2
Want to go down to 110
This is my current exercise
How can I make it more effective for weight loss

They are interval like although not hiit cuz my hearty rate doesn't get too it's max

Bike 2 min on, 30 sec off (7x)

Elliptical 2 min on, 25 sec off, 7 times

Burpies with a medicine ball 45 sec on, 30 sec off..7x

Crunches on a stability ball 1 min on 20 sec off 5 times

Row with weight machine 35 sec on, 20 sec off, 6x

This ends up being almost an hour exercise

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Weight loss is about food.

Are you logging food every day? Staying within your calorie goals?

Most people can only find time and/or energy for an hour or two of exercise per day and that isn't going to cancel out an extra bowl of chips or a few too many cookies or too many beers and wings.
  • arrowprayer
    arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm happy with my diet
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm happy with my diet

Then any exercise you do will be effective if you are working moderately hard doing it.

For me, I had to find something I really liked to do so that I would keep doing it. Do you like any sports, or some kind of fun thing outdoors? The best exercise is the one you'll do consistently.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, eating usually makes a bigger contribution to weight loss than exercise. I stayed at a weight in the 180s (at 5'5") for a decade, despite working out (and hard) most days of the week. I kept working out about that same amount while losing weight; I just ate less. Starting at your weight, I was in the 120s in just under a year.

With an hour to invest, you may find that you will get a larger total calorie burn by doing steady state exercise for that hour, continuously, at whatever intensity you can sustain for the entire time period and still feel good/energetic for the rest of your day (after maybe just a few minutes of "whew" feeling right after the exercise), not exhausted or fatigued all day afterward. (Working out to the point of fatigue tends to sap calories out of your daily life activity level, because you rest more/do less in daily life.)

If you're not able to exercise continuously, intervals are fine as you build up your endurance.

Keep in mind that when you do intervals, only the active part is calorie-burning exercise. For example, with your biking 7 x (2' on, 30" off), that's 14 minutes of cycling and 3.5 minutes of rest. (If you go hard during the 2', easy but still cycling 30", then it's 14 minutes at the higher calorie level, 3.5 at the lower level).

If you're using a heart rate monitor (HRM) to estimate calories, it will probably over-estimate calories for this type of exercise, especially if you're relatively new to working out: Your heart rate drops slowly during the "off" segments (especially true if you're relatively new to exercise), making your HRM think you're still working harder than you really are during those periods.

HIIT (which I know you said you aren't doing yet) tends to be over-rated if your main objective is maximizing calorie expenditure. In particular, the so-called "afterburn" from HIIT is underwhelming, when you do the arithmetic. Multiple-times-a-week HIIT is also over-rated for building fitness. (If it were fabulous for fitness, Olympic athletes would do HIIT every day. They don't. Yes, I know some. ;) ).

The most important thing in choosing an exercise routine is to find something you enjoy doing. When we enjoy exercise (ideally enjoy it so much we'd do it even if it weren't good for us), we'll do it regularly, because we want to. If we don't enjoy our exercise, we're more likely to avoid or back-burner it every time there's the slightest excuse for doing so. A theoretically less effective exercise, done regularly, burns more calories and creates more fitness than a theoretically perfect exercise that we put off and avoid doine.

Keep in mind that lots of things count as calorie burning exercise, and can contribute to building fitness: Anything from walking to swimming, martial arts to dancing, gardening to carpentry, tennis to cycling, will burn calories, and many of those things will improve strength, coordination, flexibility and cardiovascular capability.

Best wishes for great success! :)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Im 185 pounds 5'2
    Want to go down to 110
    This is my current exercise
    How can I make it more effective for weight loss

Do it for longer. For example, you're doing 14 minutes on a bike. If you burn 400 kcal per hour on a bike, you'll burn almost 100 from this part of your workout. On the other hand, if you spend 4 hours on the bike that's 1,600 calories.

Now obviously that's not what most people want to do. But that's the answer to your question, the way you make exercise more effective for weight loss is by burning more calories, and time is far and away the biggest contributor to calorie burn from exercise.

A friend of a friend lost about 40 pounds hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. He averaged about 35 miles a day and ate as much as he could. Again, most people aren't willing to do this. That's why people say to focus on the food.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you intend using your exercise to create your deficit then it's incredibly inefficient to do intervals, you are "wasting" a whole load of time with your recovery periods.
    The miraculous calorie burns people think they get from interval work is normally due to failing to understand quite how inaccurate and limited HRMs are for calorie estimates.

As an example I'm currently doing a lot of technical interval work on an indoor bike (winter training for fitness and performance reasons) and an hour of really taxing intervals that leaves me completely knackered gives me an average power output/calorie burn that I could easily maintain for far longer and almost no fatigue if I was doing steady state.

Apart from that there's no reason to flit from elliptical to rower to bike in the same session, another time waster.

More effective for calorie burns (IMHO a bit of a sad and unlikely to be sustainable goal but the question you asked) would be long duration moderate pace cardio of a type you can endure.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about being in a calorie deficit. I think you have a ton of cardio that might be tough to sustain. Long term, I recommend lifting weights during your weight loss to maintain as much muscle as you can. I regret not doing so when I lost 62lbs doing nothing but cardio. I didn’t look great and lost a lot of muscle mass.