Intuitive eating to lose weight?????

Options
Sparkle097
Sparkle097 Posts: 83 Member
edited December 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Does this work?

I watched people on YouTube and they were saying you can lose weight while eating mindfully??? I always heard like it’s all calories when it comes to losing weight. But now I’m like confused?! It makes sense to eat when you are hungry but sometimes you can u can under eat or over eat from doing this???

Wat if u eat when you are hungry but you are under eating. For example eating like 1200 calories or below but you don’t know that because you are intuitive eating????

Wat do u think?

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    does not work for me
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I intuitively eat all the things, so, no. ;)

This! I dont have this discipline so I have resumed mindful logging to lose those 12lbs
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Whey116 wrote: »
    I intuitively eat all the things, so, no. ;)

This! I dont have this discipline so I have resumed mindful logging to lose those 12lbs

Sometimes acknowledging your shortcomings and making adjustments accordingly is all that's required to affect the changes needed to succeed. <3
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Try it for a couple of weeks or a month to give you a better idea and see. If you don’t see the scale move then you’ll know.

I’m sure some days you’ll eat over 1200 and some days you’ll eat less. Calories are king however some are able to lose not counting by eating mindfully most can’t though.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm eating mindfully but calorie or portion control? No way! I can't estimate distances, times or sizes of objects. And I can't estimate portion size either. Sometimes a portion feels too big for me, but usually it's bigger than I thought.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    in·tu·i·tive
    adjective
    using or based on what one feels to be true even without conscious reasoning; instinctive.

So it is impossible to learn to eat intuitively. If you gained weight from BED, it is possible that if you successfully avoid further incidents that you can maintain using intuitive eating and if the maintenance weight is below your current weight, you will be at a slight deficit and slowly lose to your maintenance weight. But if eat too much if you don't consciously track, intuitive eating won't work Mindful eating, which is pretty much the opposite of intuitive, can be learned and works for some people who don't track explicitly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Intuitive eating works for me when I'm not doing the shopping and the food available is higher bulk/lower calorie.

When I am doing the shopping and have access to the full array of higher calorie and hyper-palatable foods, it doesn't.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    no that's how i gained weight
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Intuitive eating works for me when I'm not doing the shopping and the food available is higher bulk/lower calorie.

When I am doing the shopping and have access to the full array of higher calorie and hyper-palatable foods, it doesn't.

Interesting answer. I guess you can naturally be good at stopping when full enough and bad at picking what to fill up on.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Interesting answer. I guess you can naturally be good at stopping when full enough and bad at picking what to fill up on.

Oh, I am terrible at stopping when full when eating foods like ice cream and it takes strategies and discipline to stop with pizza.

But when I only have access to lower-palatable foods, I have no problem stopping.