CrossFit -- I'd like to hear about your experience

I just (I've been to about 6 classes) started CrossFit and so far I'm really happy with it. I'll be 50 in a few weeks, and I've never done this kind of workout before. I've had almost all the exercises scaled down for me, have felt welcomed and encouraged by the coaches, and am trying new things at each class.

If you've done CrossFit, how was your experience?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    My wife used to be a big crossfitter and loved it. That was back when she was in the best shape of her life. She can't really do it now for health reasons, but would love to go back some day if she is able to.

I tried a couple of classes and immediately knew it wasn't for me. But if you like it and finding it encourgaging, go for it. I think 6 classes is enough to get a sense of it you like it or not.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    My wife used to be a big crossfitter and loved it. That was back when she was in the best shape of her life. She can't really do it now for health reasons, but would love to go back some day if she is able to.

I tried a couple of classes and immediately knew it wasn't for me. But if you like it and finding it encourgaging, go for it. I think 6 classes is enough to get a sense of it you like it or not.

I imagine the atmosphere really varies from gym to gym. If it were too macho and competitive, I doubt I'd stay -- I'm not the competitive type.

The people (so far) at my gym are friendly and helpful and I look forward to seeing them.

I love trying brand new things ( a very modified handstand pushup?!?!). The coach showed me and I laughed. Then I tried it and it was great!
  • mackfoo
    mackfoo Posts: 28 Member
    I love it because they introduce lots of moves I would never have tried myself, like the handstand push-up.

I was doing a 5x5 lifting program before, and sort of locked in to about 5 basic moves. CrossFit incorporates them all, but now I do pull-ups, toes-to-bar, etc.

I feel more like an athlete.
  • 7elizamae
    I am all for the variety in training exemplified by crossfitters but I am just not into the whole competition aspect (compromise of form due to time) and some of the questionable exercises (cough...kipping pullups..cough)

What I have learned is that you don't have to do any exercises you'd rather not do (or think are stupid). For example, the other day the rx WOD included not just a box jump, but jumping over the box. Well, I could jump over the box. But I chose to just jump onto it and step down during the actual WOD-- I didn't want to fall.

And our coaches repeat often that we are not to compromise form during the timed WOD.

So, like anywhere, the workout seems to be up to the individual.

And I love the variety. I would never, ever, do all those exercises on my own.

• KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    I am a CrossFit lover. Totally signed up to the cult. Ha ha I’ve been doing it for 3.5 years and love how I’ve progressed and the new skills I’ve learnt. Our box is super friendly and the coaches knowledgeable. They teach the strict stuff to build strength and the efficient moves such as the kipping pull up. Have I seen my lifts progress as fast as I would have doing 5x5, no. But I’ve had lots of fun and learnt loads more stuff in CrossFit than working out alone. I enjoy the “competitio” and it pushes me to keep getting better.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2018
    My experience:
    Didn't like the atmosphere
    Didn't like that it left me very hungry and I had a hard time controlling my calories
    Didn't like that it made it harder for me to be active outside of workouts (could not reach my usual spontaneous steps)
    Didn't like that I had to drive for 40 minutes from and to the gym
    Didn't like the price for what you get - you can do the same set exercises much cheaper elsewhere if it doesn't have the "CrossFit" name attached to it.

Basically, it wasn't for me. My sister loves it, though. Looks like you're enjoying it, so continue with it if it feels right.
  • 7elizamae
    My experience:
    Didn't like the atmosphere
    Didn't like that it left me very hungry and I had a hard time controlling my calories
    Didn't like that it made it harder for me to be active outside of workouts (could not reach my usual spontaneous steps)
    Didn't like that I had to drive for 40 minutes from and to the gym
    Didn't like the price for what you get - you can do the same set exercises much cheaper elsewhere if it doesn't have the "CrossFit" name attached to it.

Basically, it wasn't for me. My sister loves it, though. Looks like you're enjoying it, so continue with it if it feels right.

I wouldn't like any workout if I had to drive 40 minutes to do it. Luckily my gym is about a mile from my house.

The price is an issue for me, too. But I am motivated to get my money's worth out of that fee, so I think it will get me there at least three times a week. We'll see if that lasts. :)
  • 7elizamae
    I am a CrossFit lover. Totally signed up to the cult. Ha ha I’ve been doing it for 3.5 years and love how I’ve progressed and the new skills I’ve learnt. Our box is super friendly and the coaches knowledgeable. They teach the strict stuff to build strength and the efficient moves such as the kipping pull up. Have I seen my lifts progress as fast as I would have doing 5x5, no. But I’ve had lots of fun and learnt loads more stuff in CrossFit than working out alone. I enjoy the “competitio” and it pushes me to keep getting better.

I hope I stay for 3.5 years! Right now my goal is to stick with it for six months. I'm about to turn 50, and I really want to improve my general strength. This seems like it'll do the trick. I've been sore (good sore) in all kinds of new muscles since I started.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Hello, I have done CrossFit off and on for 5 years plus. I am also a competitive powerlifter. I have been certified as a coach in weightlifting and powerlifting as well.

The good: community, accountability, motivation, progression, and variety. I also have great coaches at my box. CrossFit introduced me to the barbell, which has become my passion.

The bad (for me): a bit cult-y, eventually your strength really slows down or tops out, some movements are a killer for larger or older athletes, group-think mentality that wants people to push themselves beyond what is appropriate for health, and a lot of soft tissue/overuse injuries.

I've left CrossFit off and on and just got into getting stronger. Now I am back 2 days per week but I'm still training for powerlifting, too. I modify whatever movements I want to work around my own training and I don't kip anything anymore. I will never kip again in my life because I am older and larger and I hurt all the time when I kipped regularly.

Overall I'm glad that I did CrossFit and it was a life-changing experience in a positive way. It made me a lot mentally tougher!
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    I'm 48 and I love it. I agree it is quite 'cult'. I can't get to the classes regularly due to family stuff so I'm a payg member. Some ignore me, but there are some very friendly and supportive people there. We have a great trainer who really knows his stuff. I scale a lot of exercises and I still feel sometimes they are talking in a language i don't understand, but that's more about me being slow to.pick.It up / not interested/ failure to remember things ! I like the range of exercises, and push myself more i n a group class than I ever would on my own.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    I'm almost done my on ramp (first 6 sessions with a trainer) and I'm really enjoying it! I just turned 47 last week and thought it's time I start thinking of my bones and muscles... I figure this will help make me a stronger runner as well.
  • 7elizamae
    I don't really get the 'culty' thing at my CrossFit gym. Not at all. I've actually been impressed by how focused the coaches are on adapting/scaling workouts for me -- I haven't felt a bit of pressure. I just feel encouraged , and I'm having fun exercising in a whole new way!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I love love love it. I have done it for years. Ive have been obese 90% of time I've done it so I do have to modify some movements. Exercise is easy, the diet part is hard
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great info!!!!!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited December 2018
    the workouts are just okay...

but the group photos are the best !

1*gfDtMZPuN8Ufm6PRpLg6vw.jpeg

group_feature.jpg

• Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    I had a really super response to this, but then my phone spazzed out on me :( tldr: my experience is similar to yours. And really, yours is the average experience. Yes, there are outliers, but that is expected in anything a person tries.

It is so very fun, and after a year, I've come to love and appreciate it and my workout buddies more than I thought I would. No matter what a person does, they should enjoy it. For me, I didn't enjoy attempting my own programming at a normal gym, and I didn't enjoy normal gym kick boxing or zumba. But, I enjoy this. So, keep on having fun!
  • jenniday1229
    jenniday1229 Posts: 27 Member
    I started Crossfit 7 months ago and it's been amazing. My box is small, community driven, and everyone is approachable. The coaches are great and balance scaling to the individual while encouraging us to push ourselves. I'm down 42lbs this year and this week celebrate my 42nd birthday. I've never been into sports or competition and hate the workouts most of my friends like (Zumba, ugh), but I love feeling stronger and more capable than ever. I like that the workouts are always different so I never feel bored.

Those first couple of months can be a beast if you're starting from ground zero, but being consistent and listening to your body as it adapts will get you through. I worked up to 4 classes a week which seems to be a good spot for me for now, doing MTWF. I go to a noon class which is usually the smallest of the day and comprised of those of us who telecommute and some who work non-traditional hours (retail, restaurant etc), and a few SAHM.

Looking forward to 2019. I WILL get pull-ups and T2B. :)
  • 7elizamae
    Kohanai wrote: »
    I had a really super response to this, but then my phone spazzed out on me :( tldr: my experience is similar to yours. And really, yours is the average experience. Yes, there are outliers, but that is expected in anything a person tries.

It is so very fun, and after a year, I've come to love and appreciate it and my workout buddies more than I thought I would. No matter what a person does, they should enjoy it. For me, I didn't enjoy attempting my own programming at a normal gym, and I didn't enjoy normal gym kick boxing or zumba. But, I enjoy this. So, keep on having fun!

Yes, it IS fun. I can see how people become 'addicted.' I think a lot of that has to do with all the variety -- and the surprise workout. I really like not knowing what we'll be doing. I don't think anyone could get bored at CrossFit.