Looking for friends for motivation!

Options
13»

Replies

• JustMeJustEm06
    JustMeJustEm06 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hey all I could use some motivation and tips! Love chatting so anyone and everyone is welcome to friend me ! Thanks

First off, nice pike!

Secondly, always lookin for more support and encouragement. I’ll add ya.
  • JustMeJustEm06
    Options
    curlster wrote: »
    Motivation is temporary habitual behaviour is your best bet grind it out day after day and your good behaviour will become a habit, your welcome x

I definitely agree that the motivation needs to be from yourself... eventually. But the accountability and encouragement from friends on here can be a huge building block towards that. Not everyone has the will power and discipline to keep the motivation going to form those good habits in the beginning. Just saying!

That’s why I love the community on here. Amazing accountability and encouragement :star:
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Motivation is temporary habitual behaviour is your best bet grind it out day after day and your good behaviour will become a habit, your welcome x

I definitely agree that the motivation needs to be from yourself... eventually. But the accountability and encouragement from friends on here can be a huge building block towards that. Not everyone has the will power and discipline to keep the motivation going to form those good habits in the beginning. Just saying!

That’s why I love the community on here. Amazing accountability and encouragement :star:

I'm a man of analogies, so consider this:
    It's winter; you're in a private cabin in the woods, in front of a fireplace.
    Motivation is firewood; you either have it or you don't, and the wood you do have will be used up before long, so you need to figure out how to keep well-stocked on that wood because it's a long winter.
    People on MFP tend to ask for 'motivation'; however motivation cannot be given. What they're truly asking for is two things: Inspiration (the spark that ignites the wood); and Accountability (lest one takes the fire for granted and fails to persistently tend to it, in which case the fire goes out).
  • JustMeJustEm06
    edited December 2018
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »

I'm a man of analogies, so consider this:
    It's winter; you're in a private cabin in the woods, in front of a fireplace.
    Motivation is firewood; you either have it or you don't, and the wood you do have will be used up before long, so you need to figure out how to keep well-stocked on that wood because it's a long winter.
    People on MFP tend to ask for 'motivation'; however motivation cannot be given. What they're truly asking for is two things: Inspiration (the spark that ignites the wood); and Accountability (lest one takes the fire for granted and fails to persistently tend to it, in which case the fire goes out).

I can get that. But the first step in someone’s motivation, oftentimes, is just that first step of joining the app or gym or whatever that first step may be. For some, it can’t grow from there without accountability and encouragement. Your motivation grows with accomplishments, but some can’t have that growth without support and encouragement. It falls flat.

Don’t know if we’re saying the same thing here in different ways or what. Haha

But to have one, you have to have the other either way you flip it.

Motivation to accountability or accountability to motivation.
  • BrettWithPKU
    Options
    I had typed about half a page and decided I needed to make this concise. So I'll do it in bullet points. This is all my opinion, but opinions are made to be challenged.

1. The first step of motivation is Desire. In my analogy it's difficult to place desire, but let's go with a 'bellows', that old-timey hand-powered fan that pushes fresh air into the fire, strengthening it.
    2. Support is a means of 'holding someone up', or (in context) keeping someone moving in the direction of their goals. Inspiration, accountability and encouragement are 3 distinct types, though there are surely others.
    3. Accountability and encouragement are similar; the primary difference is that (though often sugar-coated here on MFP) accountability generally aims to discourage a negative action or negative trend, or reverse such an action or trend; whereas encouragement aims to, well, encourage positive action through positive reinforcement.
  • JustMeJustEm06
    Options
    Right. And accountability, the preventive measure, is what I’m here for as my motivation is yet lacking on my own power. But with successes, and other people’s success, I’m inspired to grow my motivation.

I guess I view it as a cycle. I continual need of one for the other.
  • BrettWithPKU
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Right. And accountability, the preventive measure, is what I’m here for as my motivation is yet lacking on my own power. But with successes, and other people’s success, I’m inspired to grow my motivation.

I guess I view it as a cycle. I continual need of one for the other.

Ooh, there's an analogy there. I'm thinking of the sleigh from Elf powered by Christmas spirit, with a supporting engine for when Christmas spirit fades. That's fitting on several levels--which I won't go into detail on as I've typed enough already.

Anyway, accountability and successes you shall have. --as soon as the Great News Feed Outage of 2018 ends.

Side note: I love hijacking threads and making them about me. OP, I can support you however you need, friend me if you'd like.

EDIT: I think the GNFO18 ended! :)
  • JustMeJustEm06
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    Anyway, accountability and successes you shall have. --as soon as the Great News Feed Outage of 2018 ends.

Side note: I love hijacking threads and making them about me. OP, I can support you however you need, friend me if you'd like.

EDIT: I think the GNFO18 ended! :)

Haha! We are friends and it has ended..!! Praise the good Lord!! :joy:
  • amba89lynn
    amba89lynn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Always need more motivation!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I'm 26, and looking to lose about 80 lbs. However, I am terrible at keeping myself motivated, and would appreciate some friends to help me out, and I could do the same for you!

@Kalahiraamonkira thankfully you are very young so time is on your side. I was 63 and to the point of using power carts for shopping or where much walking or standing was involved. Our kids had just turned 16 and was having to help me in and out of vehicles, etc and I wanted to recover to give them more hope about their own future health.

I saw myself in my coffin at the funeral home and for hours people walked past me and everyone said, "Well he finally ate his fat butt to death." In my case my top weight never hit 260 that I recall but it was not because I did not eat enough calories to gain more.

On a hunch at the age of 63 in Oct 2014 I cut out all foods containing added sugars and or any form of any grain. Within 14 days my cravings started to fade fast and I was walking with less pain in 30 days. It was day 45 BEFORE I lost the first pound of weight but I had lost an inch in the waist and some of my fat face.

Four years later I have maintained the unplanned 50 pound weight loss for the past three years with better health and health markers than 30 years ago. I still eat the same way but now limit my carbs to 50 grams daily and have never gone hungry even one day because I eat about 3000 calories most days. I am more active and still daily walk a 1/4 of a mile at a fast pace now without resting ever couple hundred feet.

We all do this different so just work to find a Way Of Eating that works for you long term. Key in my case was finding a WOE that cut out my cravings daily. Yes it is fine to read other success stories but remember you success story may wind up sounding very different than my or others.

Best of success in finding the WOE that works best for you for years to come.

Yes working to not die obese and prematurely in front of our kids was a motivating force in my case. I had some fat friends that died in the nursing home just because they were too heavy to manage by the family at home.
  • hillaryschmutz
    hillaryschmutz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Haha I have loved reading these posts, both for the inspiration and the debate about inspiration :) I'm new here, so how does this work? What do you guys do in the app and for accountability/inspiration/whatever we call it? :)
  • BrettWithPKU
    Options
    Haha I have loved reading these posts, both for the inspiration and the debate about inspiration :) I'm new here, so how does this work? What do you guys do in the app and for accountability/inspiration/whatever we call it? :)

This app takes some getting used to. Some people never find the forum.

For ‘support’ of all kinds, you could simply post to and read this forum.

But—even better—add friends. Tap a person’s name, then tap the person’s name again, then tap the icon that looks like a person with a plus sign (+). That’s how you send a friend request.

Friends posts appear on the main screen of the app.

I’ve sent you a request.
  • times60
    times60 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have 105lbs to loose. Need all the motivation I can get. Please add me
  • breezylynn92
    breezylynn92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m looking for motivational friends as well!
  • hmkiesel
    hmkiesel Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Everyone can add me as well! I only have 5-10 pounds left to lose and then I will be maintaining!
  • MarkSBarber
    MarkSBarber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me 😊
  • ALittleLessOfMe2017
    Options
    Anyone can add me. Need people who can call me out on my bad choices and keep me on track
  • GGTiny
    GGTiny Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, 20lbs to lose to my goal weight so need motivation to get moving again.