Weightloss - Obesity - Mental Health - back again - 2019 đź’Ş

Options
Hi MFP,

I've been here before, hopefully this is the last. I'm needing to make some big changes to turn things around.

I've struggled with weightloss for many years. From my heaviest at 130kg about 6 years ago i managed to get down to 121kg.

120 is where im stuck now, i yoyo losing 5 or 6 kg one year then putting it back on again the next.

I've always struggled with emotional eating and depression/anxiety, which I think im finally getting some control over. For me its a mental health battle.

My plan is to lose 26kg in 2019, which should get me to 95kg. (with a further 20kg to lose to fall within my BMI recommended weight.) So a long long way to go.

All set to smash it in 2019..... once and for all....

Im planning to challenge myself to go on a hike every 3/4 months, such as hiking up Snowden, ScaFell Pike and perhaps Ben Nevis! Although it would proably take me twice as long as most people! It might be a bit of a reward too.

Anyone else on a similar challenge? Or have you been there and done it? Would be great to hear from everyones experience.đź‘Ť

Replies

• JustMeJustEm06
    JustMeJustEm06 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is great!! You’re going to rock this..!

Try starting out with small monthly goals to reach the big, year-end goal. Smaller goals are easier to meet overall and therefore less room for “failure” and the urge to give up. That’s been my own personal experience with a chunk of weight to lose! It’s so easy to get overwhelmed with a big goal all at once, so break it down. At least, that’s my lil ole opinion! Everyone is different! Some people work better under the bigger pressure! Find your stride and run with it!

What are your dietary and activity plans? The hiking bit sounds fantastic!

Add some supportive friends on here to help keep you accountable also. That’s a huge help! There are some truly amazing folks on here that have tons of advice and encouragement!

Best of luck!
  • hillarysmith0529
    hillarysmith0529 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey! Sounds like you have a great plan in place and are ready to make some healthy changes this year. I think it’s great you’re already planning for ways to challenge yourself physically with hikes too! I gained a lot of weight when I had my daughter and it took me over a year to get back to my pre pregnancy weight. Not exactly the same as your situation but similar in the sense that it required time and commitment to reach my goal. And now I’m back to get the last bit of weight off. I logged into MFP for 2 years straight so I think my biggest piece of advice is to log in and even if some days you don’t log all your food or exercise, keeping yourself accountable and remembering why you want to get healthy is a huge part of winning the battle!

Feel free to add me if you need more friends or support! You’ve got this! 💪
  • Pav2019
    Pav2019 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks ^^ for your replies and the advice. Really appreciated.

Diet and activity plans:
    Im vegetarian and a PT had looked at my diet plan and mentioned it was lower in protein. So ive been cooking various new recipes to incorporate lentils and beans etc. And supplement any deficit with a protein shake.

Biggest change is going to be meal prepping for the week ahead as I think that will prevent me from falling off the plan. And not missing breakfast.

For the excercise aspect, im aiming to get to the gym 3 times a week and hit 10k steps per day. Still finalising workout plan, ive had a PT in the past so have an idea what to do.

Its fairly ambitious but fingers crossed 🤞
  • JustMeJustEm06
    JustMeJustEm06 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a solid plan, hun!
  • NewNewMe1989
    NewNewMe1989 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just started my journey and just want to encourage you to keep going.
  • caindove11
    caindove11 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time and stay the course. You got this!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Yes hiking up Snowdon in the summer is a goal for me as well. I have OA so my joints are painful. I have lost 32lbs this last year but need to lose another 30-40lbs By the summer.

I did do the Ingleton waterfall trail a year ago but it was very very hard. But so worth it fantastic scenery up there. I completed it but was off my feet for a couple of days in pain afterward. Still very proud of myself it was a huge achievement for me.

You can do this.