Calories burned when cycling

Options
2»

Replies

• karenvandam
    karenvandam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What is a zeeuwse bolus? It sounds like Dutch language, but I have no idea what this is. Your biking sounds rather Dutch as well - I think the Dutch are the only ones who grocery shop by bike!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    What is a zeeuwse bolus? It sounds like Dutch language, but I have no idea what this is. Your biking sounds rather Dutch as well - I think the Dutch are the only ones who grocery shop by bike!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeeuwse_bolus
    It's a regional delicacy, and I'm so happy I found it in a different region.

Nah, the Dutch are not the only ones to bike or walk for groceries. I'd think most Western European bigger cities have no parking places near shops, or only very expensive ones. Most people living in cities don't go shopping by car. And why should you if the shops are literally just around the corner to 500m away? And for the same reason why should you have a car if you can't even park it near your home, especially if you work in the same place? I had no car when living in Denmark either. Would have preferred to cycle in the UK, but with no secure bike parking, crazy amount of bike theft and too many stairs and firedoors it was just not practical.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    A garmin helps loads
  • yirara
    Options
    A garmin helps loads

What a garmin? A fitness tracker? If my fitbit can't deal with a high maxHR despite it having settings for it, then I doubt a Garmin with even more limited settings for individual HR can do better. And you might have missed it: I just spent a shitload of money in an international move after getting less in that UK benefits level for more than 2.5 years, including nothing at all for 6 months. I don't really have money to buy more tech.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Garmin is the market leader in cycle computers, their cycle specific models are a lot more than fitness trackers.
    Your doubts are based on ignorance of the product range.
    Yes you can't afford one but the advice from one cyclist to another is good advice.

Maybe borrow one?
    I borrowed one before I bought my own and I've also loaned mine out. Maybe a local cycling club could help?

Cyclists are a helpful and supportive bunch if you let them help, something you seem to struggle with TBH.
  • yirara
    Options
    Ok, accepted! I only know their handheld GPS and looked at their fitness trackers before.

To be honest, at the moment I know no-one here. Hey I only came over 2 months ago and spent most time moving into my flat, making it half cozy and getting into my work. I'll certainly look into this once everything has calmed down a bit <3
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    what sijomial said. the pro peloton use them they are pretty darn accurate.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Ok, accepted! I only know their handheld GPS and looked at their fitness trackers before.

To be honest, at the moment I know no-one here. Hey I only came over 2 months ago and spent most time moving into my flat, making it half cozy and getting into my work. I'll certainly look into this once everything has calmed down a bit <3

See if you can get one used on craigslist of the like.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    ... I think the Dutch are the only ones who grocery shop by bike!

I tried to persuade my wife to get me a Burley Travoy trailer for Christmas to go grocery shopping/etc. (I'm in NJ USA). She's now convinced I've gone completely over to the Dark Side of the Force, LOL. I got a little cred, though, when up in Ottawa for Christmas with our daughter's family, we went to the Farmer's Market in the Lansdowne Pavilion. There was a guy with a Travoy, and I had a great (short) discussion with him about it. So she was able to see that it is a "thing" after all. Maybe there's hope for one yet ...

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell with any certainty unless you're using a power meter (bikes are incredibly efficient macines) but if it's any help, my power meter estimated about 17 cal/km on my bike commutes which are on reasonably flat terrain averaging 25 km/h. So it would not be unreasonable to assume that you're burning 1,300 to 1,500 cal riding that distace at 20 km/h.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    what sijomial said. the pro peloton use them they are pretty darn accurate.

For what it's worth, cycling pros ride with bikes and gear because they're paid to, not because they chose those bikes and that gear. Garmin sponsors several teams.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fitness/welcome-team-garmin-2018/
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    A garmin helps loads

What a garmin? A fitness tracker? If my fitbit can't deal with a high maxHR despite it having settings for it, then I doubt a Garmin with even more limited settings for individual HR can do better. And you might have missed it: I just spent a shitload of money in an international move after getting less in that UK benefits level for more than 2.5 years, including nothing at all for 6 months. I don't really have money to buy more tech.

Garmin's bike computers can do things like turn by turn guidance without a phone or preprogrammed route, show you what gear you're in, and tell you about the traffic behind you using radar. Fitbit isn't in the same league.

If I knew you in the offline world, I would lend you my 800 indefinitely. A lot of cyclists are gear lovers and generous with older stuff.

But to be honest I don't think it would be terribly helpful for calories. It's just going to ballpark it and you can do that yourself.