How to start strength training

Options
Hello all,
On my weight loss journey, and I’ve learned from reading and gym that strength training should be added to your exercise regimen. I’ve never really strength train, afraid to use the machines at gym without looking silly. Anyone have a source or input? I have 3 pounds at home

Replies

• FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises are a great introduction to strength training. Check out nerdfitness.com for some beginner routines.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender is another good internet source. You can narrow your search to body weight only.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. Your gym membership should include a tour and demonstration of the machines.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    This link has great info on choosing a resistance program: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

As far as learning to use the machines, ask for a demo at your gym. The staff there should be able to assist.
  • sandyy0605
    sandyy0605 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback! It is a great help!
  • FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Remember one thing, everyone starts someplace. If you choose the machines at your gym, don't worry about looking silly. Anyone who uses them did so for a first time too. And don't fall for the myth that women will look too manly because they bulk up using weights. You're building strength, not competing in a body building event. Take progress pictures and record your exercises. It'll be motivating to look back and see how far you've come in 6 months.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The staff at the gym will show you how to use the machines correctly. Just ask!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The staff at the gym will show you how to use the machines correctly. Just ask!

Unfortunately in my experience checking with the gym staff is very hit and miss. They should be able to show a new person but often dont have a clue. I'd suggest a bit of reading on your own so you can ask good questions to and get a feel for how knowledgable the staff is.

Best of luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Most gym weight machines have instructions and/or diagrams on them. It's fine to study them when you first use the machine(s). Mostly, they're not terrible.

Read the instructions, try it with a very light weight to get a feel, read the instructions again to confirm details, then increase the weight to a level that's a little bit challenging for the number of repetitions you want to do. I'm a believer in working one's way up, so I'd go with one set of 8-12 reps on your first visit, at a weight that's challenging but not a struggle, then do 2 sets the next time, and maybe work up to 3-4 sets.

Over time, increase the weight to keep it a little challenging. As you increase weight, you may find you need to decrease reps (more like 8) with that new weight at first, then work up to more reps (more like 12) at that weight, then increase weight and drop reps when necessary again. At first, read the machine instructions every visit, then recheck once in a while to make sure you're using the machine correctly.

There are different rep/set ranges and different difficulty (weight) recommendations for different goals (strength, muscle mass endurance, etc.), the above is just a starter idea to get used to the machines as you figure out what kind of routine you really want to do (the link above about picking the right strength training program for you is an excellent source).

In the long run, bodyweight exercises or free weights provide more benefits, but machines can be a good on-ramp to this kind of activity, especially for those who are a little fearful at first.

Best wishes!
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Staff are there to help. You can also book a 1 on 1 session with a trainer. Plenty of people do it. Don't randomly pick weights on your own. You can hurt yourself if not done correctly.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that I started with resistance tubes—mainly because I was walking past a fitness store, went in on a whim, and was told I had a choice between dumbbells and tubes. I was a 40-minute walk away from home and had my doubts about how much I'd be able to carry (and how well any shopping bags would hold up) if I went with the dumbbells.

While working out with the bands (using exercises I found online0 I started getting strength training books from the library, flipped through them, and narrowed it down to a couple I thought would be worth buying. Got to the bookstore and bought a totally different one. Strength Training for Women by Joan Pagano. And went back to the fitness shop with a grocery cart and bought some dumbbells. The book is great for beginners, showing a good progression for weights, sets, and reps, using relatively inexpensive equipment, and includes 3 sample strength-training workouts and 4 weights-and-cardio routines.

That was about a year and a half ago. I started with 3s, 5s, and 8s. I'm now doing most of my exercises with 17.5s, 20s, 25s, and 30s. (Still using a 3 and a 5 for a couple of new exercises I'm trying to nail the form with; I'm uncoordinated and it takes my body time to master the 'tense this, relax that, lift on exhale, lower on inhale' all at once. I'd rather get it right with a low weight before I hurt myself with a high one.)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Research shows that strength training improves most people's confidence. Losing weight usually means losing muscle, strength training will prevent or minimize this. It's great for your health in the long and short term, can prevent injuries in day to day life, and helps you look better naked. Good choice to start!

Most people are best served with a program, like Strong Curves, Convict Conditioning, or whatever else. Have a look at some of them. When you're starting, you can use resistant bands instead of weights and get the hang of it at home, if you're intimidated to go to the gym. But please know that everyone in the gym is too wrapped up in what they're doing to care what anyone else is doing.