Suppliment recommendations

Options
I have used on amino energy in the past and liked it but its hard to find. Any recommmendations for similar products?

Replies

• missrunner5
    missrunner5 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I am a very tired mum of four and find that my energy levels are crap, exercise is sporadic but mostly just walking my diet is ok but I tend to look to snacks to keep me going all day after only a couple if hours sleep so anything that can keep my energy levels up without me resorting to snacks is great and the fitter I get the more energy I will have plus as kids get older I will get more sleep. Caffine is my friend.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I am a very tired mum of four and find that my energy levels are crap, exercise is sporadic but mostly just walking my diet is ok but I tend to look to snacks to keep me going all day after only a couple if hours sleep so anything that can keep my energy levels up without me resorting to snacks is great and the fitter I get the more energy I will have plus as kids get older I will get more sleep. Caffine is my friend.

Why not just a good quality multivitamin? I don't think it will help much with your energy though. Only extra sleep will really make a difference and working on increasing this should be your number one priority for improved health. A few hours isn't enough.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    ]
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Why not just a good quality multivitamin? I don't think it will help much with your energy though. Only extra sleep will really make a difference and working on increasing this should be your number one priority for improved health. A few hours isn't enough.

Sometimes this isn’t always possible. <rolls her eyes>. sooo my REALISTIC suggestion is to find a supplement that works well for you while you are working towards getting more sleep. For me it’s coffee. I grind my own beans and sip away.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Also, OP, think about the flow of your day, your children’s schedule, your house setup. Maybe some adjustments need to be made.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The problem with caffeine is your body will become immune to it and it won't has the same effect. Its one of those supplements that should be cycled on and off. Outside of that, eating nutrient dense whole foods and limiting junk where possible is best.

I would get some blood work to check vitamin D and iron levels. Its not uncommon to have deficiencies in those which can effect energy levels

Based on the information provided, i wouldn't recommend a supplement unless you are deficient or what to cycle caffeine for those real tough days.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    sounds like a better diet and regular exercise will solve that.

(from a mom)
  • Savagawea
    Savagawea Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Okay I know the grind. I wish there was a magic pill to solve all but until then friend, all I can give you is what I use to help through the craziness of life.

Get yourself a good B12 supplement. Vitamin B12 may benefit your body in impressive ways, such as by boosting your energy, improving your memory and helping prevent heart disease. Sublingual always helps as you can grab it on the go and it dissolves under your tongue.

My go to in the morning is Hot Ignite from mountain ops.

https://mtnops.com/product/hot-ignite/

I drink it in replace of coffee on days I know I’m going to be working out and it tastes great.

Thrive (another supplement)
    - I don’t sell it, but when I can afford it, is AWESOME. The one thing I noticed on the supplement, was my improvement in mood. I mean when I’m expected to juggle the world on 1200 calories it was bound to make me a bit cranky. My family can attest to that bit. 😂

Hope it helps! Message me if you’d like more info 🙂
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    You should get your Vitamin D levels checked. I was so deficient that I was 1 point above the diagnostic level for Rickets. I was very low energy. Once my levels stayed in the normal range, I felt much better.

Being D deficient has nothing to do with being an over-tired parent, it's lack of sunlight exposure and somewhat dietary.
  • missrunner5
    missrunner5 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    For the short term I have bought some diet coke to get me through. I dont have deficiencies just kids who have been sick, teething or feeding for the last three months. Hubby works fulltime and we dont outsouce anything (no cleaners etc) cant justify the expense when I can do it. I just want to be able to get everything done plus at least a walk without putting on weight from snacking. If im still struggling on coffee and coke I will check out your recommendations.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For the short term I have bought some diet coke to get me through. I dont have deficiencies just kids who have been sick, teething or feeding for the last three months. Hubby works fulltime and we dont outsouce anything (no cleaners etc) cant justify the expense when I can do it. I just want to be able to get everything done plus at least a walk without putting on weight from snacking. If im still struggling on coffee and coke I will check out your recommendations.

If you don't have deficiencies, than no other supplement will help outside of higher levels of caffeine.

At some point, you may have to consider having others or outsourcing some of those activities or your husband may need to take on more. And trust me, i understand your struggles. I work 50 hours a week + commute time and my wife owns and runs an in home daycare. So when i come home, i help her.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids? Are you delegating as much of the housework as possible to them? We have three - 11, 8, and 5 and it gets better once the younger ones are older. My wife and I both work full time and we have a private daycare who have become part of our family. The kids all have their chores and we just make sure these are done and do some coaching at times.

Unless you have a diagnosed deficiency you don't need a supplement. Caffeine is fine in small doses - good for that extra burst of energy in the morning or whenever needed, but there's diminishing returns.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options

@missrunner5 I hear ya! Part of my fitness goal is to have more energy as well I agree it’s diet and getting better sleep - that helps me at least. I’m a caffeineaholic and I don’t even feel the perks of drinking coffee anymore. Supplements can be hit or miss - but I have tried increasing my B vitamins and drinking more water and it has helped a bit. Decreasing the stress and caffeine and upping my morning stretch helped as well. I guess it all pointed to more me time. Hope you get some rest and revitalization - let us know what works for you!