Replies

• GIRLPOWER7113
    GIRLPOWER7113 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am on Keto and love it.. add me
  • Dispatch101
    Dispatch101 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been reading things online about keto. I have figured out my macros for mfp. My question is. When I hit my macro numbers can I go over on fats to help reach my calories for the day
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have been keto since Oct 2014 when I was 63 for arthritis pain management. Early on I had a few times of eating over 50 grams of carbs but I would get mad at myself because of the returning pain.

All I do is keep my carbs down to 50 grams daily and stick with my rule to eat or drink nothing with added sugar and or any form of any grain.

I did eat 3-4 pounds of huge black grapes over two days earlier this week. Besides some water weight my wrists were painful the following mornings. It took me two days to get back into a solid state of nutritional ketosis.

Because I do not track anything other than to weigh twice the first of each day before and after going to the restroom to monitor my hydration status. If my output drops below 1.8 pounds after sleeping 6-8 hours I know I need to drink more. Output range is normally 1.8-2.2 pounds and rarely do I go more than 8 hours without getting up.

I accept friend requests but just want everyone to know I do not track.

While I did not start keto to lose weight the first year I did lose 50 pounds that I have maintained for three years now. My weight varies over a 10 pound range eating an 2000-3000 calorie daily range.

4 years later my health and health markers are better than 30 years ago.

I way of advice which may or may not apply to others is to just focus on not eating over 50 grams of carbs daily. Over the first 6-12 months my fats and protein kind of worked out naturally.

Other than the 50 grams of carbs limit daily (required for most to stay in nutritional ketosis) keto can be done different ways. I only eat things that I enjoy and other than the carbs the fats and protein vary based on my desire when I get hungry.

After 40 years of yo-yoing weight almost did me in I swore I would never try to lose weight again but just work to improve my health and health markers. 4 years later I am Rx med free and have better mobility than in decades. Life is good.

Best of success. In time you will find the WOE (Way Of Eating) that works best for you. Your body will tell you the way it wants you to eat for the best health. It is not magic but when you find the WOE that works for you whatever it may be it may seem like magic to you however. :)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I want to start as well, so will need help and support! Am gluten free, so am hoping that will help keeping my carbs low. Just really need to lay off the sugar!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    sdereski wrote: »
    I want to start as well, so will need help and support! Am gluten free, so am hoping that will help keeping my carbs low. Just really need to lay off the sugar!

Due to my failing health and age my first two weeks of 50 gram carb limit was hellish no if ands or buts. Then the carb cravings tapered off fast and have not returned over the past 4 years in a meaningful way.

Remember willpower and motivation are one and the same. I made doing it as if it was a matter of life or death in my case.

You can do this. Best of success.

• __Chanda__
    __Chanda__ Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have been reading things online about keto. I have figured out my macros for mfp. My question is. When I hit my macro numbers can I go over on fats to help reach my calories for the day

I'm glad you found the macro calculator. I calculated mine, but follow it very loosely. I eat when I'm hungry and consider my % goals as it relates to each meal. I've been successful with this in the past. I find my appetite slowly decreasing as I get Keto-adapted. As far as fats, if you are going to go over on any of you macros (carbs, proteins, or fats), fats are the best ones to go over on. Some people on the Keto diet will do a Fat Fast if they are struggling to get into ketosis. I'm very mindful of my carbs, a little less of my protein, and even less mindful of my good fats.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

I'm not understanding this question. Your macros should add up to your calorie goal. What are they and how did you set them?

For example, I start with my calorie goal (1600) and then decide how much protein I need (about 100 g, so that's 400 cal or 25% of my total). Then you could decide how many carbs you want (I think you can be in keto under 50 g net, but I know everyone always seems to want to do 20 g, although that's net, so if you plan to eat foods with fiber in them, as everyone should, that would be at least 30-40 g -- when I did keto I aimed for 35 net, which was about 60 total). Anyway, 40 g = 160 cal, which would be about 10% of my calorie goal. That leaves 65% for fat, and all together they would total 1600 if you ate the full number of grams allotted to each.

Normally with keto, though, you'd stay below the carb goal, make sure you hit or come close to the protein goal, and eat fat to the calorie goal.

Many just focus on the carb limit, the protein goal, and then total calories. You only worry about going over fat if you are going over calories or eating too little protein.
  • guyburton
    guyburton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    _Chanda_ wrote: »
    Ohh, I'm looking to start keto soon, any advice?
    Good luck, and good on you for going when you're ready :smile:

The best advice I can give for Keto is not to have cheat meals/days. It takes too long to get into ketosis, and a single cheat meal can blow you out of the water.

Great advice and completely agree.

Are you using strips to check?
  • __Chanda__
    __Chanda__ Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    guyburton wrote: »
    _Chanda_ wrote: »
    Ohh, I'm looking to start keto soon, any advice?
    Good luck, and good on you for going when you're ready :smile:

The best advice I can give for Keto is not to have cheat meals/days. It takes too long to get into ketosis, and a single cheat meal can blow you out of the water.

Great advice and completely agree.

Are you using strips to check?

I use the keto test strips.
  • Dispatch101
    Dispatch101 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Day 1 of my new way of eating. There is a lot of info to take in. I am so excited for the future me!!! 1 day at a time .....