Are exercise calories shown on MFP on the higher side?

Options
Should I be entering a lower value? If so, how do I calculate it?
Thanks.

Replies

• Nixoncat1
    Nixoncat1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always subtract 20% from whatever calories it says I burned. I talked to a trainer at the gym about it one time & he said cardio machines overestimate so 20% is a safe bet. The same might apply to MFP? Easy math is 300 calories x .20 = 60. So I would record 240 calories.
    Hope that helps! :)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    The numbers are spot on for me and off for others. They are all just estimates so pick a number, stay consistent and evaluate after four weeks and adjust if needed. Real life numbers are best.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    It depends on the what for the exercise and the intensity of it. Some estimates seem much closer than others. If you let people know what exercises you are doing, they might be able to suggest a formula or app that gets you close.
  • longkathleenann9291
    Options
    ashphilli wrote: »
    I always subtract 20% from whatever calories it says I burned. I talked to a trainer at the gym about it one time & he said cardio machines overestimate so 20% is a safe bet. The same might apply to MFP? Easy math is 300 calories x .20 = 60. So I would record 240 calories.

Easier calculation: 0.8 x 300 = 240

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    ashphilli wrote: »

Easier calculation: 0.8 x 300 = 240

Says the math teacher.
  • lemonginger35
    lemonginger35 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi All, It is just walking or running. What will be the calculation in both cases?
  • robertw486
    Options
    Hi All, It is just walking or running. What will be the calculation in both cases?

Walking - .3 x your weight x miles
    Running - .63 x your weight x miles

Both of the above are based on a study, and should get you fairly close. Those are for net calories, so they work well if you are tracking with MFP.
  • Nixoncat1
    Nixoncat1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Robert,
    What about jogging? .45 x weight x miles?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Nixoncat1 wrote: »
    Robert,

If you're jogging, you are running
  • robertw486
    Options
    Nixoncat1 wrote: »
    Robert,

Running is essentially running. If both feet are off the ground as you go forward, it's running. There are some exceptions for really fast walking vs normal pace and such, but for the most part it's either feet on the ground of off.

Numbers from a study, which is referenced in the below article that explains some of it....

https://runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a20825897/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning-0/
  • lemonginger35
    lemonginger35 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Both of the above are based on a study, and should get you fairly close. Those are for net calories, so they work well if you are tracking with MFP.

I’m assuming the weight is in lbs.

• robertw486
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

I’m assuming the weight is in lbs.

My bad. Yes it's pounds and kcals. IIRC the actual original study they used was all metric based for speeds, as well as usual kJ rather than kCals.
  • k8tjane
    k8tjane Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I usually go by the calories Strava gives me for walking and running. Based on the calculations given for running 3 miles Strava gives me an extra 50 calories but for walking 12 miles it gives me an extra 1200 😳. Obviously that calculation doesn’t take into account elevation and speed but that’s still a massive difference.
  • robertw486
    Options
    k8tjane wrote: »
    I usually go by the calories Strava gives me for walking and running. Based on the calculations given for running 3 miles Strava gives me an extra 50 calories but for walking 12 miles it gives me an extra 1200 😳. Obviously that calculation doesn’t take into account elevation and speed but that’s still a massive difference.

I know Strava changed some calculations some time back, but something seems way off there. At your size I doubt you would burn 100 calories a mile on anything that any sane person would call a "walk". Maybe a sheer rock cliff at high speed?

The calculator below seems reasonable based on flat surfaces, but I'm not sure how it handles grades. As far as I know it's based on ACSM methods, which were mentioned in the study as being reasonably close.

https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!