Intermittent Fasting

Options
Has anyone had success doing IF? If so, what window worked best for you? Did you find that it helped decrease excess belly fat?
Planning to start IF again, so just curious to hear about other’s experiences 😊

Replies

• hillarysmith0529
    hillarysmith0529 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That makes sense, I know it’s not a free pass to eat as much as you want lol I’m glad you found something that worked for you instead!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    First time I tried IF, nine years ago, I used a five hour feeding window and eventually gravitated towards a 2 hour feeding window. I was working a lot if hours so it worked well.

Now, I shoot for a 5 hour feeding window (noon to 5:00 pm) but have some 8 hour feeding windows this Christmas season. I still try to have my feeding window end at 5:00 pm.

This works for me and I don’t advocate it for anyone else.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    That makes sense, I know it’s not a free pass to eat as much as you want lol I’m glad you found something that worked for you instead!

To clarify, I wasn't eating as much as I wanted. It was just that even eating what I felt was a reasonable amount, without counting calories, wasn't sufficient to put me into a calorie deficit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I used to do 16:8 when I realized I wasn't really hungry for breakfast anyway. Then a few months ago I started waking up super hungry and switched back to a more traditional eating schedule. I didn't really notice a difference one way or the other. Except for appetite control, which if it does that for you is certainly a benefit!

If you are concerned about belly fat, you might get something out of this thread...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    OMAD, I can't stand 3 tiny meals through out the day.
  • backindabox
    backindabox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    IF works great for me. I won't repeat what others have said, but due to the longer window of being awake while not eating, I tend to drink a ton of water to compensate. I drink black coffee which also helps suppress my appetite.
    I don't know if IF has any actual fat loss effects, but from a degree of separation, it helps by not eating at all for 16 hours and increases my water intake. Been doing it for the better part of 5 years now and has always helped me achieve my goals.

Good luck to you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I sort of stumbled into IF once I found a woe that worked well for me, stabilized my BG, and reduced my appetite. Before that, I ate every 2-3 hours to avoid BG swings

Now I tend to not be hungry before 11 am - 2 pm and typically last eat at dinner or 9pm.

I did not experience spot reductions with IF.
  • rpmkarting
    rpmkarting Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use IF 16/8. I feel when I have a bigger breakfast I am normally more Hungary throughout the day. So I try to eat less than 300 calories for breakfast around 9:00. Lunch around 12 and dinner around 4-5
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I stumbled onto IF accidentally as I work a non traditional schedule and I don’t eat much in the morning. I found IF to give me greater control over calories in a shorter time frame. Interested in how you do! Let us know!

Good luck! 🍀
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I’m really frickin snacky in the late afternoon. So I skip breakfast, have lunch around 12, eat a big snack at 4 and have supper at 7. If I don’t have a planned snack in the afternoon on workdays, bad things happen. Personally I’d be fine eating lunch and another meal at 4 or 5, but don’t want to wreck the family dinner dynamic.