Developing scoliosis.

Options
Hello guys ,

Around 3 and a half years ago i started my weight loss journey and shed about 32 kgs in 6 months (114 kg to 82 kgs). Before and after photos are

y4tz1wd1f74y.jpg

You can see that there is a bit of curve in my start of journey photo but i never noticed it before.

Sad story begins , after losing 32 kgs i have gained 41 kgs in 3 years time and it came with mid right back pain and then i noticed my back that i have a very pronounced curve. (Sorry i have a hairy ugly back , not for viewing pleasure :D) .

rtu2jghzrijs.jpg

Where i live we do not have any chiropractic help and physiotherapist arent much help either. Has anybody else encountered this problem. As in the first photo you can see that losing weight kinda straightened my back. Can this help this time too?

Can anyone tell me about any exercise which can help me straighten my back?

Replies

• stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    What is your age? I've had it since middle school. In my 20s, a Dr told me that if I wore a lift in the shoe of the shorter leg.. maybe .75-1in., that it would straighten it out in 6 months to a year. Of course, I did it for a while & stopped because of sandals, etc..
    It sure wouldn't hurt you to try. I need to myself. What I don't know is whether or not it will still work at an older age.. I'm mid 40s now.
  • jee_nee_us
    jee_nee_us Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What is your age? I've had it since middle school. In my 20s, a Dr told me that if I wore a lift in the shoe of the shorter leg.. maybe .75-1in., that it would straighten it out in 6 months to a year. Of course, I did it for a while & stopped because of sandals, etc..
    It sure wouldn't hurt you to try. I need to myself. What I don't know is whether or not it will still work at an older age.. I'm mid 40s now.

Thanks a lot for replying , I am 36 at the moment. My left leg seems a bit shorter , i dont know if its a hiked hip or actual short leg.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Everybody has a shorter leg. Some a bit more obvious. Unless you're talking like .75 of a inch I wouldn't worry about it. You can have shoes shimmed if it's drastic.

As far as your back, just train. I would be more concerned about a stong back then a curve that you probably had most of your adult life.

• 80sSynthwave
    80sSynthwave Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had a moderate case of scoliosis for a number of years, along with a herniated disk. When I got into weightlifting, I over-emphasized pulls, especially back exercises, and always symmetrical training. I hadn't planned on fixing it, in fact I gave it very little thought because I just enjoyed having a strong back to avoid any type of continued nerve pain. Last time I had an x-ray done, my spine was completley straight, and there was no sign of the herniated disk. Maybe the same could work for you.