Surprisingly low cals? What foods surprised you?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Bacon was lower than I expected.

Shrimp.

Plain potatoes. Even more so, most other root vegetables and winter squash.

Pork chops and pork loin.

Yes, and happily so to the bolded. I think they're all caloric bargains for how filling they are.

Also, cottage cheese.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

Shrimp.

Yes, and happily so to the bolded. I think they're all caloric bargains for how filling they are.

Also, cottage cheese.

I have been recently having a love affair with winter squashes..... especially butternut and acorn! Hmmmm...
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Oh, another one is popcorn!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Shrimp.

Also, cottage cheese.

Now put your hands together and its my kind of a dinner :)

One of my favorite easy to prep meals is roasted butternut squash topped with cottage cheese with some sriracha on top. Pure comfort food.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

Shrimp.

Also, cottage cheese.

One of my favorite easy to prep meals is roasted butternut squash topped with cottage cheese with some sriracha on top. Pure comfort food.

I did a garbage pale scrambler, volume eaters edition for dinner tonight. KITTEN thing weighed 2 lbs for about 550 cals.... uses acorn squash instead of potato... home made hot sauce on top.....
  • txvanessa
    txvanessa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, mustard, deli turkey
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    admaarie wrote: »

I made a mistake not realizing the bag was 9 cups, not three - wishful thinking - ha, I have now corrected my logging as of last week. Explains some.
  • IsETHome
    Options
    Just found that a can of artichokes in water is 50 cals for the can. I bought four.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    All winter squash and root veg (other than tubers) are low cal. I was surprised by turnips and rutabaga and beets too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be pedantic and note that the bacon that is low calorie is cooked bacon that has had the fat discarded. I have a number of recipes that call for raw bacon, and this is not low calorie at all as the fat is incorporated into the recipe.
  • atheistred89
    atheistred89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Fruit with full fat plain Greek yogurt and honey. Tastes like heaven to me and surprisingly low in calories while still giving you a bit of protein.

Also I'm a weirdo but I love a banana drizzled with a little Hershey's simply 5 syrup and topped with some reddiwhip. Really low calorie but to me is just as good as a bowl of ice cream.

Those are my "desserts" more often than not.
  • IsETHome
    Options

Shrimp.

Also, cottage cheese.

Skip sriracha. Mix in Kimchi with the cottage cheese. Heaven.

wow, I'm going to have to try that....
  • IsETHome
    Options
    Fruit with full fat plain Greek yogurt and honey. Tastes like heaven to me and surprisingly low in calories while still giving you a bit of protein.

Also I'm a weirdo but I love a banana drizzled with a little Hershey's simply 5 syrup and topped with some reddiwhip. Really low calorie but to me is just as good as a bowl of ice cream.

Those are my "desserts" more often than not.

I think probably these are good desserts, they would be a bit higher for me like for a breakfast. I have found the greek yogurt to be high - I wish that they had smaller containers ready made. Although I've bought a few more smaller cups for portion control.
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    admaarie wrote: »
    Popcorn for me too! Just ate a whole bag for just 75 cal!
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Twinkies are only 130 calorie per cake. I always thought they would be a lot more.
    Put them in the freezer! 😌