Is it bad to do rounded back deadlifts?

Options
This guy at 6:55 in this video https://youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_2UOvNa3o&t=425s is doing really heavy rounded back deadlifts, isn't this dangerous?

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Snap city...
    When doing a PR, some back rounding is a bit inevitable though
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    As the poster above me said, when doing near max some rounding is inevitable. Look at eddie halls world record 500kg, or any strongman comp deadlift for that matter - their backs aren't perfect.

That said, you should aim to keep your back as straight as possible, always. Form is everything especially on a deadlift. Bad form hurts and will sideline you for sure. Last time I pulled with bad form I knew it about 5 seconds after it hit the ground and had to severely deload for 3 weeks on every lift that loads the back to recover.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    And then sometimes the slight amount is purposeful and a variation.

https://youtu.be/9CleNQoKSb0

Which it appears that was some version of a stiff-legged deadlift, but with the American rounding of back.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    ...but it's the pelvic thruuuust...that really drives you insayayayayane...let's do the time warp agaaaain...

I love the video, very informational, though the lifts are different than what I'm used to doing.

Romanian - I do these on a single leg and all the way to the floor, the other leg stays in line with the back kind of making a T as you go down.

Straight - I do these all the way to the floor and don't have any rounding of the back, but I do kind of kick my hips back to counter the weight movement shifting my center of balance forward - definitely plenty of glute activation for me, the whole posterior chain is doing the work.

It might be a mobility thing too, I can stand with straight legs and easily put my hands flat on the floor in front of me without rounding my back, and it doesn't look he has that level of flexibility based on what he is saying about when he can feel the hamstring getting tight.

Who knew there were so many different ways to do what is essentially the same lift - fascinating!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Care to explain the reasoning behind the "woo" assuming you know what it means?
  • ImSoSquishy
    ImSoSquishy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    rounding your thoracic spine is fine, but rounding your lumbar spine is not. if possible try to maintain a neutral spine. the reason for thoracic spine rounding is because it engages more of your lats for added stability and for any exercise in general you want to learn how to keep your body tight to prevent energy leaks, and the more muscles you can recruit all over your body for the lift, the stronger you can become.

here's something you can try:

put your hands out in front of you like as if you're trying to reach out to get something in front of you and with your back hand facing the ceiling. now, slowly turn your thumbs to point outwards so that your palms faces the ceiling, as you turn your hands to point your thumbs to the walls beside you, also start to engage your lats, and now keeping the tension on your lats, start rounding your thoracic spine and you will feel that the lower areas of your lats is now being activated too.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    rounding your thoracic spine is fine, but rounding your lumbar spine is not. if possible try to maintain a neutral spine. the reason for thoracic spine rounding is because it engages more of your lats for added stability and for any exercise in general you want to learn how to keep your body tight to prevent energy leaks, and the more muscles you can recruit all over your body for the lift, the stronger you can become.
    Might want not suggest that to strongman competitors who lift Atlas stones ;).