What type of diet are most people doing? Keto? WW? Which is the healthiest?

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    FemmeBritt wrote: »
    I'm doing the master cleanse.

Oh no, why?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    FemmeBritt wrote: »
    I'm doing the master cleanse.

Eat enough fiber, and you will cleanse... 😁
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    or a bowl or two of stewed prunes

or 1/2 kg of licorice.

Or, if you really have a serious issue with constipation, use a sensible amount of laxative medication.

You do not need a master cleanse - that is just silly nonsense.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    or a bowl or two of stewed prunes

or 1/2 kg of licorice.

Or, if you really have a serious issue with constipation, use a sensible amount of laxative medication.

You do not need a master cleanse - that is just silly nonsense.

Licorice. Really? Black, I assume.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    Yes. licorice is known to have mild laxative effect on many people, in large quantities.

Strong black licorice more so, I presume.
  • May_anka
    May_anka Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The best diet is the one you can continue on for the rest of your life.

If you can eat keto for the rest of your life, then it would be a great way to lose weight and keep it off. Otherwise it is just losing weight.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yes. licorice is known to have mild laxative effect on many people, in large quantities.

Strong black licorice more so, I presume.

Ahh. Didn’t know this could help me.

I think the sugar free gummi bears work for me better. I have tried to like black licorice but I just can’t, too salty.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    nygr8guy wrote: »
    I found a Keto calcultor which says I should do 20g carbs, 80 grams protein 100 grams fat =1300 calories per day. I am 5'6" Male, little exercise. I hate the word sedentary.
    Does this sound right?

No, not really. I'm a 5'5" 63 year old woman. I'd lose too fast on 1300 net. Men generally need a minimum of 1500 for adequate nutrition (I understand that you're not tall.)

And don't think about "exercise", unless you like looking at it that way. Just think about moving more, in ways that are fun for you, personally. It could be almost anything: Carpentry, gardening, dancing, playing rock'n'roll drums, martial arts, or any of a zillion more. Besides fun activities like that, move more throughout your day (ideas here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/). Those things will let you eat more, while still losing at a reasonable rate.

I used this eating plan to lose almost 1/3 of my body weight in just less than a year at age 59-60 (after being obese for decades, not to mention hypothyroid), and to stay at a healthy weight for 3 years since:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

If you just want to "do keto" or you have medical problems for which it may be a solution, or if eating lots of vegetables, grains, fruits and such make you crave carbs or make it hard to control your appetite, then keto may be right for you. Otherwise, it's not necessary to do keto or even low carb to lose weight. I lost weight eating close to 200g carbs most days. The eating plan at the link above will - amazingly enough - work for low carb or moderate-all-macros plans (among others), whatever keeps you full and happy.

Best wishes! :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,024 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit

This one.

It's easy.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Keto for a few years. I started it to address climbing BG levels. I continue it to maintain lower BG and insulin for better health, it reduces my inflammation and pain, and it reduces my appetite so weight man agent is easier. Ymmv

I recommend reading Big Fat Surprise. It goes into the history of where the old low fat dogma came from and why it may not be ideL, good book.
  • elysiannn
    elysiannn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do calorie counting, in combination with intermittent fasting. Personally, too many restrictions on what I'm allowed and not allowed to eat makes me OBSESSIVE, so I try to base things off a general deficit and be as balanced with my nutrition as I can.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Last night was a disaster for me. I was following my low carb high fat macros until I attended a farewell party for leaving my job. We had appetizers like pretzel fondue, and I also had a few martinis. That was last night, today is today. :-)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Last night was a disaster for me. I was following my low carb high fat macros until I attended a farewell party for leaving my job. We had appetizers like pretzel fondue, and I also had a few martinis. That was last night, today is today. :-)

Maybe that's a sign.... just saying... if you were "flexible" no problem as long as you stick to your calories.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

Maybe that's a sign.... just saying... if you were "flexible" no problem as long as you stick to your calories.

I was flexible, but I certainly didn't stick to my calories. It's like I threw everything I learned out the window. I didn't want to "deprive" myself of enjoying the foods everyone else were having. On top of all of the apps, I had a bacon cheeseburger with the bun. OMG, so good, but I got it out of my system.
  • Ohiogirlatheart
    Ohiogirlatheart Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started a balanced food plan (with journaling every single day--the good, the bad and the ugly--on MFP), exercise (now at 4-5 times a week at the gym and walking 1 hour every day with my dog) on 12/27/17. In a 1 year period I lost 51 pounds. I eat from 1500 - 2000 calories per day with emphasis on protein and very few processed carbs. When I started at the gym my exercise was getting in and out of the equipment. When I started walking I could barely get a lap around the block. Now, I have lost almost 12 inches around my waist, can walk for up to 90 minutes and a pretty good pace and am not winded. I am 63 years old, not exactly a spring chicken. I haven't felt this good in 25 years. There are good days and not so good days. What I like about MFP is that every day is a new day. Find your balance and persevere. Hope this helps.
  • normanntwa
    normanntwa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keto Diet high fat 60% protein 25% carbs 15% especially if diabetic type 2. Watch medication as you may have to reduce.
  • 12gr34
    12gr34 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit supported by daily exercise and using tracker with myfitnesspal
  • 12gr34
    12gr34 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Did Keto and it works but reached a plateau as I did not have a plan and lost interest in the strict regime.