Exercise at Home Advice? Skinny Fat!!

Options
Hi
All my life I have struggled with my weight and ever since the age of around 8 I have always been overweight. During summer last year I successfully managed to lose 20 pounds, although I was still a little overweight I was happy. I then entered my first year of University and thanks to my own stupidity I drank and ate more than any person ever should and I gained all the weight back plus more. I finally bought a new set of scales and I was 203 pounds. That was the heaviest I’ve ever weighed and as a 5 foot 9 male with virtually zero muscle that would make me bang on obese. After 6 months of counting calories I have lost 62 pounds which is more than I’ve ever lost before and for the first time since I was a kid I’m a healthy weight at 141 pounds. I’m happy with the weight I currently am, but I’m not happy with my body at all. I lost all the weight with zero exercise and I can now say that I am without a doubt skinny fat. I have finally understood that in the end the number is just the number and people can look very different at the same weight. Although I have lost a lot of the flab I still have lots left. I still don’t have the confidence to wear a T-shirt since I still feel flabby and have love handles and a bit of a muffin top. I am not toned in any way and I understand that I’m never gunna reach my end goal and feel somewhat comfortable in my body with just calorie counting alone. I would go to the gym but I would be alone and I’m too socially inept to gain the confidence to go. Instead I’m wondering if it’s possible that an exercise regime at home would instead be helpful. Squats, Push ups, Sit ups, Planks would a regime of that sort be at all successful. This is coming from a guy who cannot run 2 minutes without having to stop or does squats for 30 seconds and is then incapable of walking the next day. My end goal isn’t too be muscular and built like a tank, I just want to be flabless. I truly am clueless when it comes to exercise and working out can anyone please give me advice and tips.

Replies

• JasmijnRF
    JasmijnRF Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I like Fitnessblender for workouts at home. They have different levels.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Les Mills on Demand is great
  • zupyoo
    zupyoo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bodyweight training is a thing, and you could do it at home, check this reddit out https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/ they even have a reccomended routine
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I like HASfit
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has lots of 30 day challenges which helped me straight after I had both my kids and couldn't get to the gym 😁
  • hbncmom
    hbncmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Fitbit coach, it works at your own pace and it adjusts the exercises based on whether it’s to hard / easy for you. I am not at all into exercise, but it really works for me.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I’ve been exercising for 2 years and I’ve never been inside a gym. I do all my exercise at home.

For cardio I dance and jog on the spot for around 60-90 minutes (5 times a week). For strength I’m doing planks, press-ups, squats and lunges, plus some light dumbell work (bicep curls and Cuban lifts).

Works for me.
  • Determinator205
    Determinator205 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Quit ssking questions and writing lond discertaions. Start with something. Improve each day. No more excuses! Just do it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Hi
    All my life I have struggled with my weight and ever since the age of around 8 I have always been overweight. During summer last year I successfully managed to lose 20 pounds, although I was still a little overweight I was happy. I then entered my first year of University and thanks to my own stupidity I drank and ate more than any person ever should and I gained all the weight back plus more. I finally bought a new set of scales and I was 203 pounds. That was the heaviest I’ve ever weighed and as a 5 foot 9 male with virtually zero muscle that would make me bang on obese. After 6 months of counting calories I have lost 62 pounds which is more than I’ve ever lost before and for the first time since I was a kid I’m a healthy weight at 141 pounds. I’m happy with the weight I currently am, but I’m not happy with my body at all. I lost all the weight with zero exercise and I can now say that I am without a doubt skinny fat. I have finally understood that in the end the number is just the number and people can look very different at the same weight. Although I have lost a lot of the flab I still have lots left. I still don’t have the confidence to wear a T-shirt since I still feel flabby and have love handles and a bit of a muffin top. I am not toned in any way and I understand that I’m never gunna reach my end goal and feel somewhat comfortable in my body with just calorie counting alone. I would go to the gym but I would be alone and I’m too socially inept to gain the confidence to go. Instead I’m wondering if it’s possible that an exercise regime at home would instead be helpful. Squats, Push ups, Sit ups, Planks would a regime of that sort be at all successful. This is coming from a guy who cannot run 2 minutes without having to stop or does squats for 30 seconds and is then incapable of walking the next day. My end goal isn’t too be muscular and built like a tank, I just want to be flabless. I truly am clueless when it comes to exercise and working out can anyone please give me advice and tips.

I have some social anxiety and understand your reluctance to go to a gym. However, if you are new to working out, really the best way to learn is via a few sessions with a personal trainer. This will get you comfortable with a gym.

Your U has a gym, yes? Does it offer personal trainers? If not, maybe look into a YMCA - they offer a sliding scale. Last Y I belonged too had a lot of disabled veterans and it was nice seeing people overcome adversity to work out. (Normally I don't look at other people but it is hard to miss when they are missing limbs or in wheel chairs.) I once took a series of 6 small group classes at a Y that was super cheap and useful. My 81 year old mom is delighted with her trainer at her Y.

There's also Planet Fitness, which is $10 per month. PF is a great option for those with a small budget, who are new to working out, or just want someplace close and convenient.

I am currently working out at home, but don't recommend skipping the step of learning how to lift weights from someone in person.