Finding it hard to see a difference after -30 pounds

Replies

• BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Echoing others' input, you've GOT to focus on the way your clothes fit. If you rely solely on the mirror your head will *kitten* with you relentlessly.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    @jojo19812018. Although 30 lbs down, you are still you.

The mind changes MUCH more slowly than the body. You may not think there is a difference as the changes are day by day are small. However a side by side photo comparison of before and after will be a totally different story.

Being lighter just make everything easier because you are carrying less weight while doing it.

Be happy you are achieving and keep going till you achieve the weight/size you want. If you can drop 15%, you certainly have found something that works for you.
  • lcatalan93
    lcatalan93 Posts: 45 Member
    I started this journey on sept 20. I’m 5’1 and started at 198. I’m currently 168. I’m happy with 30 pounds down in about 3 months. The problem is I don’t feel like I look much different. I’m only on 1200
    calories and don’t go over. I do a little bit of weights and cardio at the gym 2-3 times per week and average 8000 steps per day. I was hoping to hear from anyone who started on 1200 calories and stayed there until they hit goal. (Or any successes). I need to hear some inspiring stories. How long did it take and how much did u lose? I understand this is a journey and I have to be patient. I suppose I want to hear that I’m doing all the right things and the weight loss will keep happening. Im just having a hard time lately as I feel like I’ve made big changes and can’t see much in the way of results. Thank you 😊

I also started my weight loss journey at 198lbs and I am currently at around 161 lbs and really I mostly noticed my weight loss in my face and my pants and my boobs shrunk. I went from a tight size 14 to now a size 10/11. I am aiming to be at around 148 lbs by April of next year. Slow and steady wins the race lol I just dont want to rush anything as I loose weight in my own time so its harder for to gain it all back you know. Also you loosing 30 lbs in 3 months is amazing!! I have lost that amount in like 2 years so you should be beaming with pride! Good job and keep going soon you will see your results! :)
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    You are doing great . and sticking with your allowed cal and a little movement makes so much difference . I did not take a photo until I had lost around 15 I was to embarrassed . but I am so glad I finally did I can see the difference you will see the difference measure and notice how you feel . ( for me it is huge 49 lbs off and the stairs feel like nothing ) just think that is 3 10 lb sacks of meat you are no longer allowing to weigh you down !
  • jojo19812018
    jojo19812018 Posts: 66 Member
    Thank you everyone!! And well done on your weight loss! 😊
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    You have to have patience. I think you've made phenomal progress so far - be proud of yourself. I lost 110 pds in a little over a year, and I cut out all the junk from my diet and was at the gym every day.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    I remember after losing 75lbs, when looking in the mirror - I felt like I looked the same. I lost my weight proportionately, plus after years of carrying excess weight, my brain was slow to catch up.

Progress Pics 100%. That was one of the only ways I could confirm a difference.

Also, I remember walking around still feeling like I was in my old overweight body. I found it helpful when I was laying in bed, I would close my eyes, and feel my stomach, arms, legs...and that helped my brain adjust to the changes.
  • LilBit73SC
    LilBit73SC Posts: 1 Member
    I am going to start taking pics based on your suggestions. Hate the idea, but need more motivation than I currently have.
  • beatthereaper2016
    beatthereaper2016 Posts: 55 Member
    Put up some pics, MFPers will clearly show you how to appreciate the hard work you've put in
  • competeagain4x
    competeagain4x Posts: 167 Member
    Look at old pics of you
    Then look in the mirror
    Then back at old pics
    Then mirror
    Repeat like 1,000x
  • SpicyWater
    SpicyWater Posts: 99 Member
    Take measurements and take all sorts of pictures! It's possible that the reason you're feeling stuck is because the places you'd like to see an improvement in, you aren't necessarily. I know that technically you lose fat from your whole body but me, for example, I hold most of it in my stomach so that's an area that always depresses me.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Agree with everyone that pictures will help you see the situation more realistically.

Also, I’ve lost 43 or so pounds and find I now wear styles/cuts I wouldn’t have worn at my previous/starting weight. When I wear those more fitted/updated things I can see much more of a difference in the mirror. I have a pair of jeans in a size 4 that are the same exact style as a pair I wore as a tight size 12. When I wear those, I swear in my mind’s eye I look like my former size.

It’s a process :wink:
  • jojo19812018
    Hi everyone. Just a quick update. Today is 100 days logging! I’m down 34.2pounds. (15.5kgs). I have just started to ramp up my exercise as I still have a fair bit to lose. Good luck everyone! 😊
  • MeredithDeVoe1
    MeredithDeVoe1 Posts: 67 Member
    Surely your clothes are starting to fit differently too. Our eyes lie to us. I learned that years ago when I found a pic of myself at 13, slim, healthy, perfect-- and I thought I was FAT... Let your body prove you wrong!
  • IndigoWest
    IndigoWest Posts: 118 Member
    I cannot reiterate enough that taking progress pictures can be so helpful. I cannot see my progress in the mirror most of the time. The slight daily changes are enough that they get lost in my mental perception of me. Instead, I take pictures and put them side by side. Or sometimes, I take pictures of disembodied pieces of me to break the "whole" that my brain constructs. It is jarring to see, for example, that when I was sitting next to a super tiny woman yesterday and I took a picture of my legs... that my legs were not giant compared to hers (hers were caught in the picture by accident). I am bigger, sure, but I am not gigantor like my brain wants me to believe, and was telling me, reminding me, when I glanced at her.

Pictures help so much when you cannot see. Or, I should caveat: pictures help me so very much to see the truth and not what my brain struggles to reassert the pattern that used to be.

So much of this!
  • ferniejoy67
    ferniejoy67 Posts: 11 Member
    It truly is a mindset. What great progress you have made! It takes time for your mind to catch up with your body. It may help to have a gratitude mantra or prayer that states how grateful you are for your present loss and the loss to come that you repeat (even out loud) until you see the new thin you. Congrats to you and every here on your success!
  • Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    Take a look at measurements as well. You mentioned you're doing some weights. That builds muscles. Muscles are more dense and weigh more than fat, but take up less volume. Measurements are a great idea to see progress when the scale doesn't reflect it.

Clothes are also a good way to see difference. Next time you'r in a store, just for fun, try a size smaller than you usually do just for fun. As mentioned so many times before, take pictures in a tight shirt, and then create side by side in that same shirt to see how it fits differently further down your progress.
  • jojo19812018
    Thank you very much to everyone that has replied. Since my post 2 weeks ago I’ve now lost a total of 35 pounds. Still don’t feel much different though. I’ve taken your advice though and taken some pictures! Thanks again and happy new year! 😊
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Congrats so far! I definitely agree with others that you should eat a bit more, that way you have somewhere to go when you want to get smaller or hit plateaus. 1400-1500 might be a better option for you right now, until you get closer to your goal.
  • jojo19812018
    Ok thank you for your help! 😊