Calories for Octane Fitness Xr6000?

Options
Hello fellow MFPers,

Someone once told me not to trust how many calories the machine tells me I'm burning, so I have been going with what's on the MFP database, rather than what the machine tells me post-workout.

That being said, I've just fallen in LOVE with the Octane Fitness Xr6000, and I wanted to know if anyone knew correct calorie counts.

I've just been counting it as an elliptical, but I'm sure that's not correct.

Thanks so much!!

http://www.infiniti.com.au/octane-elliptical-machines/195-xr6000-octane-elliptical.html

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    The only way to get an accurate count is a hrm. I found machines and mfp both give high counts.
  • leese559
    leese559 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i love this machine!!! and i go by the calorie count on the machine
  • wowsrz
    wowsrz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Our gym just got this machine and I love it!!! I use the calorie count on the machine; I've found that if I wear my HRM while on different machines at the gym that the calorie count is very close.
    I can't get enough of this machine... It makes me want to go back to the gym this afternoon!! :)
  • aWildFlowere
    aWildFlowere Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Love this machine. I do intervals for 50-60 min and it says I burn 1000-1200 calories spanning 11-13mi +/- depending on my settings and energy for that day. I weigh 217 right now vs 214 (grrr) and I am 6'2" so don't freak about my lofty female stats;) I usually do an avg speed of 77-90...I should slow down during rest interval level 7 but need to talk to my personal trainer and finally splurge for a iwatch or the fit bit that can go in the pool for those cross training workouts & PT as I need to get a handle on maximizing my aerobic & evaluating my anerobic HR etc.

I was pre-360 spinal fusion and TKR and used it per above for two years. Post surgery (both within 6mo & 1yr recovery each) I hopped on this asap as the most comfortable.

I constantly adjust the seat, never use the handles (I hard lift days btwn cardio so my arms need rest). I also adjust resistance if my intervals are off a bit per energy plus I don't look down and move my feet everywhere like dancing to work my neuro coordination and work the little muscles vs just the big/primary.

Friend me!!! I will let u know what my trainer, new watch and sports nutritionist say!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    yeabby wrote: »
    The only way to get an accurate count is a hrm. I found machines and mfp both give high counts.

HRM may or may not be accurate. They're likely to be closer for steady state cardio, but it's still dependent on your user setup being accurate, how close you are to the average of research the algorithms are based on, and how good that particular device's designers/programmers were.

It's not measuring your calorie burn, it's estimating it based on arm movements, elevation changes, speed (via GPS, where relevant), connections to the exercise machine via wireless protocols, its heart rate readings, and that sort of thing.

HRM can be very inaccurate for strength training, strength-intense cardio, or interval training. Accuracy may also vary depending on your fitness level, and whether the machine knows your true (tested, not age-estimated) HRmax or VO2max.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Oops, zombie/necro thread from 2011.