How often do you excersize per week?

Options
So, I’ve been going to gym a few times a week for a couple months. I was curious how often do you guys excersize per week? Mine isn’t always the same. Mine goes from, 2 days rest day 1 day rest day, 3 days then 2 rest days. Really depends on my schedule. It’s only for 1 hour since most of those days, I work as well on that day. Yet, sometimes my body just won’t be able to go some days. Do you go gym, even if your muscles are sore? How do you know when you should take a rest day? I’m trying to improve my fitness goals. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Typically 6 days a week.

I can generally tell by how I am feeling if I need to take an extra rest day. Feeling extremely fatigued/run-down are my typical sign I need a little extra rest.

I don’t experience DOMS often, but even when I do I workout.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    5 x a week usually, running, cross training and strength training
  • nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    7 days a week on the treadmill. Exception is if I do car repair, cut grass, or other physical activity. Have not felt good for the past few days. so also missed on those days.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I lift weights twice per week and overall generally do some form of exercise 7 days per week - walking, hiking, trail maintenance, yoga, and in season gardening and swimming.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    6 days a week. But on Wed and Friday I do what I call active rest/recovery, I walk, add in Core on Wed and light stuff on Friday. Full day rest every Sunday no matter what.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    5X a week for me. Running and cycling mostly with 2x strength training. At 57, I’ve found my body appreciates the rest days.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would say anywhere from 3-6x per week. Minimum 3x lifting, and one or two days cardio.

Sometimes I workout when sore, but it depends on if I can an adequate workout in. I never push myself through severe pain. If soreness is preventing me from getting the weights up, I will do cardio, yoga, walking or another bodypart that day. I take at least 1-2 rest days per week.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    5 days a week. Only cardio so far, but starting a Fitness Blender program in January. If I add a 6th day, it's usually just yoga or Pilates.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Currently lifting 4x per week following PHUL. I also throw in some elliptical as needed for relief from depression. That's usually two to three times per week.

I do exercise when I'm sore as it's the one thing that helps me with DOMS. Usually half-way through my warm-up, I'm feeling better and am able to do my full workout without issue.

I also have a de-load or full rest week every six to eight weeks.

ETA: I'm also in maintenance. In deficit, I usually lift three times per week and throw in some elliptical as I feel like it.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Usually 6-7 days a week of formal exercise. But I am otherwise very sedentary.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Not enough.

Going to try doing Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred every day in January to get my butt kicked into gear and make working out more of a habit and then settle into a routine of running 3 days a week and strength training 2 days a week.

During the times I was really good about getting my workouts in, I worked out even when my muscles were sore. There's a difference between sore and pain. You don't work through pain but sore muscles aren't really a reason to skip a gym day.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Four to six days depending on how I'm feeling, what my schedule looks like, and whether or not the gym I go to is open (it's my uni's gym and currently it's closed during the tail end of winter break). That said, this isn't some sort of competition.
  • MattO229
    MattO229 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't go gym since I work opposite shifts with my wife and my son isn't in full time preschool yet but I exercise the NHS recommend amount which is 150 mins cardio and X3 strength sessions a week.... When I'm consistent
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I exercise everyday that I eat!
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 466 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    It varies with certain fluctuations in work schedule (I travel a fair bit for work)
    I will do a 30 minute morning workout 5 days a week. (weights, body weight and yoga type in different combinations)
    I will cycle 11km to work (so 22 in total) 3-4 times a week at a fairly high pace
    I run 3-4 times a week 3 times 5-6 km and once a long run up to 15 km
    On non run days I will go for walk as I will always get my 10K steps in and with a desk job that means another 3-5 km walk in the evening to get there.
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My goal is 3-5 times a week. I used to exercise 7 days a week, multiple times per day but it was not healthy.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I personally don't exercise I train which is generally 5 days 9.5 to 10.5 hours per week. At the moment I do 2 days in the gym which are legs and core work and the rest is on the bike. I don't often get sore muscles but if do I will do a bit of foam rolling or stretching etc. I also have a physical job as a joiner.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, I do some formal exercise (for fun, mostly) 6 days a week. Occasionally I work out twice in one day; occasionally I do something active but easy (walk, casual bike ride) on my official weekly rest day.

I will take the extra odd day off from intentional exercise here and there if I feel extra fatigued**, am too sick or injured, am traveling or real life otherwise prevents, or I just don't want to work out that day (the last usually rare). It's important to me to plan workouts so that I'm not placing the same major stresses on the same muscle groups and joints. If I have sore muscles from a workout, I'll usually keep up with the workout on a rational schedule***, maybe backing off the intensity a bit if sore, or do an alternate activity that day if the soreness/stiffness hinders movement.

That said, this is the Winter doldrums: The period where my group classes and rowing team are both on holiday hiatus, and I'm tired of my rowing machine after completing the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge. So, in the last week, which included Christmas, I've only done 4 significant workouts (plus a bit of yoga, random kettlebell exercise, and other things too small to bother counting). It's a good time to focus on creative hobbies and household stuff. NBD, back on it in a week or thereabouts.

** After 15 or so years of being active, I can pretty much tell true "did too much, maybe on bad sleep or fuel, drained" tired, from the kind of tired that will be reversed if I do the workout. The latter is more common than the former.

*** If you're strength training, it's important to follow a good program. And those Instagram/Facebook challenges where you do the same thing at increasing repetitions nearly every day for 30 days . . . those are typically a really bad plan, from a fitness perspective.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    3 days per week but I am going to do more this month
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Right now, I'm at 3-4x a week (roughly 30-40 minutes depending on day), but I'm hoping to get back to roughly 5x a week (40-60 minutes)... I had a fairly long break from exercise and I'm trying not to rush back into it, I need to get some strength and endurance back