DON'T KNOW HOW TO COUNT CALORIES IN A CHINESE RESTAURANT

Options
I have a challenge that I need help with. I'm going out tonight for a birthday dinner. We're going to a Chinese restaurant where everyone shares food. That means there will be many dishes and I'm not sure how I'm going to count the calories for each. Any suggestions?

Replies

• pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    There's going to be some guessing involved unless you want to bring your food scale. Try to keep track of the names of each dish and then when you record the dishes, you should be able to find similar ones on the database. Allow yourself as many extra calories as you can before you go to dinner. Eat moderately and listen to your body.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Whatever you estimate it to be, it is likely going to be more. Either take it easy and just estimate generously, or relax and take the night off from counting and get back to it tomorrow.
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    When I know I am going out to eat at the chinese restaurant I do not eat any other time of the day so I am not stressed out about the calories. I make sure to stop eating once I am full and I drink a glass of water before I start and at least one more during the meal so I don't eat too much. Have a good night and be sure to drink a lot of water tonight and tomorrow to help take care of all the sodium and carbs you will be eating!
  • josieclaire1
    josieclaire1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestion. Not eating all day is not feasible for me.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Of the large meals I've logged, my personal limit seems to be ~1000 calories, so I'd quick add 1k and enjoy the meal.

You can keep mental track of the dishes you eat and estimate portions to look up similar items and log later. Some people take pictures of their food to log later, but that might be a bit conspicuous for you ;)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Just do your best to log dinner with a number, even if an educated guess is the best you can do. The process is more important than the numbers.

Calorie counting involves gray areas. Ultimately the only test of your skill as a calorie estimator is the scale over time.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

Ok, but since you posted the question nearly 4 years ago, I have to ask - what did you do?

I usually just quick add 1000 calories and try to eat a bit lighter earlier in the day and get an extra walk in.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

Ok, but since you posted the question nearly 4 years ago, I have to ask - what did you do?

I usually just quick add 1000 calories and try to eat a bit lighter earlier in the day and get an extra walk in.

:laugh: Wow! Did not catch that at all.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Rumor has it there’s a Wong way to do it. B)