When to Maintain?

Options
At what point did you start focusing on maintaining your weight instead of losing?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    After I reached my goal weight and wasn't happy with the results, I ran a couple bulk/cut cycles and felt much better where I was. I have maintained since. It's been a couple years now.

Basically when the mirror/photos made me happy.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I just lost 1lb/week until I got to goal and increased calories up to maintenance levels when I hit my target.

I didn't get a bounce in weight but I also lost my weight with an unusual eating pattern.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me it's when my body begins to look worse than better, I look a bit too thin for my liking and I start to lose too much fat in places I don't want to or even muscle... Time to stop losing and head to maintaining.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I started gradually increasing my intake when I was about 5 pounds from what I was pretty sure was going to be my goal weight, in order to coast into goal. (I'd already adjusted goal downward a couple of times when I got close, and decided that last 5 pounds or so wouldn't be enough, from where I was at the time.) For me, it was pretty easy to tell when I was where I wanted to be, based on how I felt, and how I looked.

I preferred that "coast in" approach partly because I know myself: By adding 100 or so calories at a time, then monitoring my weight to see if it stabilized, I tended to add small pleasurable but nutritious tweaks to my eating. If I'd added (say) 500 calories all at once, I would've been more likely to add some kind of less nutrient-dense treat food(s), hedonist that I am. There's nothing wrong with treat foods, but I really don't want to devote a big chunk of every day's calore goal to them.

Also, some people experience a small but meaningless water weight increase (up to a few pounds) if they add a bigger chunk of calories all at once (from extra carbs/sodium in the added food, and from increased average digestive system contents). At the time, I thought that might be distressing to me, and by phasing in more calories gradually, any of that effect was masked by my continuing very slow weight loss alongside any gains of that nature.

YMMV.

Just getting into maintenance mode. Your comments are helpful.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I started gradually increasing my intake when I was about 5 pounds from what I was pretty sure was going to be my goal weight, in order to coast into goal. (I'd already adjusted goal downward a couple of times when I got close, and decided that last 5 pounds or so wouldn't be enough, from where I was at the time.) For me, it was pretty easy to tell when I was where I wanted to be, based on how I felt, and how I looked.

I preferred that "coast in" approach partly because I know myself: By adding 100 or so calories at a time, then monitoring my weight to see if it stabilized, I tended to add small pleasurable but nutritious tweaks to my eating. If I'd added (say) 500 calories all at once, I would've been more likely to add some kind of less nutrient-dense treat food(s), hedonist that I am. There's nothing wrong with treat foods, but I really don't want to devote a big chunk of every day's calore goal to them.

Also, some people experience a small but meaningless water weight increase (up to a few pounds) if they add a bigger chunk of calories all at once (from extra carbs/sodium in the added food, and from increased average digestive system contents). At the time, I thought that might be distressing to me, and by phasing in more calories gradually, any of that effect was masked by my continuing very slow weight loss alongside any gains of that nature.

YMMV.

Just getting into maintenance mode. Your comments are helpful.

Unless you've already read the maintenance stickies, this may have some useful details:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level
  • Rabbit91476
    Rabbit91476 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For me it it wasn’t when I looked good. I looked great at 158. Abs looke great. But dieting wasn’t fun and work outs were suffering. Increased to maintenance calories but still wasn’t happy wasn’t happy. Increased until Weight 163-165# Holidays hit and hit 170. Now as of this am I’m 165. Misse the abs. But feel better.