Walking, Why it's my favorite exercise.

As if you would care. LOL

I hit the gym 2 to 5 times a week. While I'm there I lift a few weights and then hit the cardio. Now cardio consists of the Elliptical, Treadmill, Stationary bike, and rowing machine. All good. I just plug my earphones in and drift off to a degree. Though I seem to chronically watch the distance and time.

One thing I often do though is compete against myself. Can I go faster and can I go longer. These aren't bad things but I need a break from myself so it seems. So I walk. I love to walk outside. Sometimes I'm on an abandoned railroad trail and other times I walk through an historic area with some truly great old houses. It's fascinating to look at the architecture and watch how hard the folks work to keep their homes really presentable. There are a couple houses along the way that must be in foreclosure, they are abandoned. So I dream about buying one. Though that may be a bit off. When I'm on the trail I look for critters. Once saw a Brown Weasel, many times deer, and occasionally a Coyote. Never do I wear earphones when I'm outside since I want to hear everything around me including approaching bicyclists. Then I want to greet the people I meet and not seem aloof.

There are several other factors about walking that make it one of my favorite exercises. When you stride just a bit you can feel your torso working. It just makes me feel fit and thin. Then when I'm walking I don't try to walk faster than the last time. I just let it happen. Sometimes that's near 4 mph and sometimes it's 3.5 mph. Last thing, it appears to me that walking really promotes weight loss better than gym exercises. Don't know why and don't know if it's totally true. I just no I can feel a good walk for days after.

All said and done it is really just a great break from the gym and it's great to be out in the open.

Replies

• sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    it's so natural and feels really good. it doesn't need equipment and rarely causes injury. inside or outside, city or country it's all magical!
  • brocflores
    brocflores Posts: 111
    Good little story I feel the same way! I also sometimes need a break from the usually workout. So then I take it outside! Wtg on your weight loss 
  • I've made some of the most important decisions, in my life over the course of a long walk. Every day, I try to walk at least 2 hours..I cry...I talk to myself...and I sing. New York is the BEST place to "people watch" and WALK!!!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Me too. It's a 15 minute to and from walk for me from the train station and I love it. It clears my head.
  • We have recently started going for walks on and evening before our evening meal and its been lovely, we've chatted about things we wouldnt of chatted about if sat indoors, the kids have lerned things when we've pointed things out on the walk. Its been lovely.
  • hi, i walk my border collie for an 1hr to 45mins everyday, and totally love it, it's strange, but, when where out walking, people smile and stop to chat, where if you're on you're own, they don't usually smile at you:-)
  • I'm with you on this one! I will be walking outdoors for as long as the inhospitable New England weather allows me to! It's the best way to see the first hints of the seasons changing, to see animals that are usually shy or scarce, and also for plant watching, if anyone else is as dorky as that, lol! Found a patch of wild thistle and what appears to be morning glories the other day when I got up at 6 am to walk! I do wear my headphones though, as it is an incentive for me to walk further and longer. I "read" audiobooks when I walk and it's easy to keep walking when you want to get to the next chapter!