Instapot - flash fad or worth it

Options
I am considering getting an instapot. I love my crock pot because I can dump ingredients in and come home from work to a delicious dinner.

Does an instapot save time? Are the recipes easy? Healthy?

I don’t want to buy a kitchen gadget that will sit around after a few weeks.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I love my IP. I have been using a stovetop pressure cooker for years. I finally bought an IP and I like the feature of the electric pressure cooker because it does not need to be tended like you would a stovetop cooker(they are cheaper, however).
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have a crock pot and an instant pot. I love both, but instant pot is great if you don’t decide what to make for dinner until the last minute (which is often how I operate 🤪). You can cook a whole meal with frozen meat in it in under an hour. This is huge for me because I hate having to defrost my meat in the microwave. It never quite comes out right.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying mine, but only had it for a few weeks, so far. They have functionality for slow cooking, as well as pressure cooking. It can also be used as a steamer, rice cooker, and other things as well. I haven't been disappointed by anything I've made with it so far.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I love my Instant Pot. I got it less than a week ago and have already used it twice. My crockpot is awesome too but I do have to be more on top of planning things out to use it. My instant pot is great when I haven't bothered to think of dinner and need something faster. Both the recipes I made in it were pretty easy and turned out great.
  • Savagawea
    Savagawea Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love my crock pot, but with my job I can never tell if I’m going to run late and I’ve come home to some burnt stuff.

Instantpot ... worth it! I love that I can program mine from my phone, and that the majority of my meals are like 1/2 hour to complete
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Define healthy? If we're going off of calories (which is, ultimately, what I'm assuming you mean), it's not any healthier than any other appliance save for say, a fryer.

It may or may not save time given that you have to take into account how long it takes to come up to pressure. I posted earlier today about how I'm bemused about the concept of cooking polenta in it. Yes it saves hours on broth - but the end result doesn't taste as good. Sometimes I'm more than willing to babysit something on the stove or in the oven for an exceedingly long period of time - other times I'm not. It depends on the day. Indian food is great in it, beans are as well.

Easy - I suppose it really is dependent on the recipe. A major issue that you have with pressure cooking that you don't have with most other forms of cooking is that you can't check on what you're cooking at any point.

Do I think it's a fad? Ultimately yes, I do - at least in North America. From what I can tell, there are parts of the world where pressure cooking is significantly more common, but I doubt Instant Pots aren't showing up there.

Also do read reviews before you buy. There are other multi cookers that you can buy. To get you started:
    https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/595-testing-multicookers-electric-pressure-cookers
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/equipment-the-best-pressure-cookers-review.html
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-pressure-cookers-4067671
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't have instapot, but Tefal 10 in 1 multicooker was one of the best buys I ever made
  • sivyaleah
    sivyaleah Posts: 51 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    As already mentioned, Instant Pot is great for getting dinner on the table quicker than a slow cooker. It can enable you to cook healthy meals but in of itself isn't a cooker meant for that. Like any other appliance the recipe dictates the outcome.

I like mine, I use it mostly for soups and stews so far. I personally can't leave a slow cooker going all day since I'm out of the house far too many hours during work days; the slow cooker would have turned off completely by the time I get home.

With the IP, I can get home and have a similar dish that needs hours to cook done in about an hour. You do need to remember that you have to leave time for the pot to come up to pressure. For instance, last night I made Split Pea Soup with a left over ham bone from Christmas. Took about an hour total: 5 minutes to saute the veggies (my cooker can do this), about 15 minutes to come up to pressure, another 15 minutes of actual cooking, approx. 10 minutes of cool down and then releasing the pressure manually which takes a few minutes. Then, add in a few more minutes to remove the bone/shred the meat back into the soup etc.

An hour from kitchen to table for PERFECT pea soup is a huge time savings for anyone.

The model I have can make yogurt also but I haven't tried it yet.

It does have a learning curve. Getting the liquid to food ratio right is important. I made a stew once from scratch not following a recipe and well, it was way too watery so that was disappointing. I find following recipes designed specifically for Instant Pot turn out a lot better.
  • phoebe112476
    phoebe112476 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    _aenyeweddien_ I am intrigued by the multicooker. What do you love about it? Can you give example of a recipe? Where do you find recipes for it?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    So worth it! Yogurt, soups, meat of all sorts, potatoes without boiling them over on the stove(bad habit of mine), beans from dried to edible in half an hour vs soaking overnight then hours of simmering, spaghetti squash(all squash I assume) in 8minutes, boiled eggs that peel without taking the whole egg white apart. My pot gets used about 3-4 times a week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm not sold on this for me yet, partially because I do plan ahead, but if things change and I want one I would definitely get ATK's cookbook:

Multicooker Perfection: Cook It Fast or Cook It Slow-You Decide

When I was in Costa Rico I used a pressure cooker to cook beans and liked it, but didn't have electricity there, and when I got back to the US and electricity went back to using my crock pot for cooking beans. (They cook overnight; no soaking required.)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    _aenyeweddien_ I am intrigued by the multicooker. What do you love about it? Can you give example of a recipe? Where do you find recipes for it?

While I don't have that multicooker, I would just use pressure cooker recipes. You likely won't need special recipes for most of what you'll cook in a multicooker if using the pressure cooker setting. I suspect that some of the confusion about this has to do with the sudden proliferation of instant pots and people marketing to people who have them. Having used some recipes that are marketed towards them - just go with any recipe made for a pressure cooker.

Obviously this is not the case when not using the pressure cooker function (so say, making yogurt). That said there are blogs, cookbooks, facebook groups, and cooking websites (like Bon Appetit) that have recipes for the instant pot specifically and pressure cookers more broadly.
  • kbrunner2
    kbrunner2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love mine. I have had it for over a year now and use it at least two times a week (sometimes 5). I make yogurt, shredded chicken, hard boiled eggs, soups, stews, risotto, cheesecake, and many other things in it. You do have to learn that not everything is good in the Instant pot. I would never cook whole chicken breasts in there (that I wanted to stay in one piece). They tend to have a weird texture for me. I would not cook a whole roast either. I do cut roast up into pieces then cook in it. I even made deer cubed steak that was really good in it and I don't even like deer meat...lol.
  • kbrunner2
    kbrunner2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add...It is awesome for spaghetti squash or butternut squash too. Put them in whole and pressure cook for a short time then cut them. No need to hassle trying to cut them in half and cut your finger off!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I am considering getting an instapot. I love my crock pot because I can dump ingredients in and come home from work to a delicious dinner.

I don’t want to buy a kitchen gadget that will sit around after a few weeks.

Instantpot is great...what you cook can be as healthy or not as you want. It's just a cooker...what you decide to cook will determine whether it's healthy or not. We make a lot of soups and stews in it...also cook a lot of beans and lentils. I can cook a black bean soup with dried beans in under an hour...this would otherwise take hours to get the beans cooked.
  • BeckySBowen
    BeckySBowen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Best kitchen appliance ever! At 52, I can finally cook healthy meals that satisfy my family. You will not be disappointed!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have been pressure cooking for more than 60 years with stove top and now InstatPot. It is hardly a fad. I love it.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've had an Instant Pot for a year now and it was absolutely worth it, even for just two of us an even when I was living alone. My favorite thing about it is homemade yogurt and easy hard-boiled eggs. It's also awesome for chicken stock from chicken bones. Last night we made a steamed Christmas pudding, and I've made excellent cheesecakes in it. Chili and soup in it are great, and I sometimes cook a pound of dried beans at a time. Thanks to the Internet you'll have no trouble finding recipes that suit (or you can find) for your dietary needs and preferences.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine! As far as a fad, many parts of the world use stove top pressure cookers, so I think it's here to stay. There are so many recipes out there, I've tried many new flavors, there's an Indian cookbook that I've enjoyed immensely. I say give it a whirl :)