Glut of plums

Options
morenita71
morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
Hi everyone,

My dad has got lots of fruit trees in his garden. He has bags of Victoria plums at the moment that he wants to give me, In the past I've made a fruit compote, cooking them down with a tiny amount of sugar , cinnamon, star anise and an aged balsamic vinegar which was nice and sweet.

Any ideas for something savoury with a plum or is that a step too far? There are LOADS of them...
Thanks!

Replies

• vkahlenberg
    vkahlenberg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've seen plums and apricots used in a Morroccan lamb (or beef) stew before (delicious!), so no, it is not a step too far. :-) I hope someone can help you more than I have, with actual recipes.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What wonderful bounty! I really like both chicken and pork with many kinds of fruit, especially apricots/peaches, but plums sound good, too!
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    can you make a jelly out of them? can you make a bunch of your fruit compote and freeze it? it sounds like that would be good on pancakes
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    plums go well with pork, especially with chinese style flavours. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12841/braised-pork-with-plums looks good, i may have to try it soon if i can acquire plums :)
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Oh my gosh, there's this plum jam that uses chipotle peppers in it on food.com. It's so amazing. I made a ton of last year.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I am SO jealous - I only buy Victoria plums, they're just the best! I wait all year for them!

You could make a plum chutney? Just google for a recipe x