Vegetarians / vegans

Options
2»

Replies

• foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I try hard not to eat meat. I only eat it when I'm out at someone's house and that is what they are serving.
  • PigHerder
    PigHerder Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hello. *waves*

Just entered my 4th year as a vegan. It's boringly normal to me now. :) Apart from occasional cravings for fried chicken (!), it's basically plain sailing at this point. Luckily, I LOVE veggies, which definitely helps. I also love carbs (hence the extra bulk I'm in the process of shifting!). There is no earthly way I'm giving up the carbs, but MFP has helped me be far more mindful of portion sizes which has helped. I'm a 5ft 3 woman, and was eating like a 6ft 4 man!

If anyone is doing #Veganuary this year, and needs any advice - hit me up! And my diary is open, so feel free to have a poke around and see what I eat (um, maybe ignore the last week though!? The holidays got the better of me!)
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    Anybody doing the fok 21 day challenge? It's free to sign up on their website. I'm starting over. WFPB for health reasons.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Frogfisg wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I just finished one full year WFPB and will not be sticking with it 100%. I learned a lot and I’m glad I tried it, but my body was breaking down.

It’s great to learn how specific foods affect you. I will stick with a very heavy plant diet, but will add back eggs and salmon. I’ll stay off dairy and cut wheat. Sugar (my arch nemesis) and I will continue to do battle. Maybe a tiny bit of grass fed beef and a dash or two of olive oil.

How was your body breaking down, may I ask? And how did you know if it was from WFPB diet? Thanks!

@Frogfisg for starters my teeth hurt, I had no energy to walk (much less run, which I love), I lost strength in my lifts and was generally lethargic. I was totally turned off by beans and soy and was basically down to broccoli and potatoes. I’m not suggesting that a WFPB diet isn’t healthy or that people can’t thrive - I just didn’t work out for me.

Unfortunately, I've seen this happen to too many people who adopt a WFPB diet. Layering the additional restrictions on top of avoiding animal products can too often lead to people not getting enough of what they need. I hope you feel better soon.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I’m raw vegan. I have a pretty restrictive diet, because old habits die hard. I’ve been vegan since Feb/Apr 2015.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Ovo-lacto vegetarian here
    I have to supplement plenty due to malabsorption but it suits me fine

My sister bless her was hosting Christmas and bought about 5 different mains for me and my kiddos as she couldn't decide what to cook for us
    On the plus side she now has some veggie foods in the freezer for when we visit
  • frenchiesgiirl
    frenchiesgiirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I try not to get stuck on labels, but I have been a vegetarian for 26 years (since I was 14!) And wfpb vegan for over 3 years. Stress at both home and work have led me to spiral quite a bit since August. After losing over 40lbs, I've gained back about 10. Ugh! Although, things are still not better at either home or work, I am determined to get back on it as of the 1st of this year. No more excuses, no more dairy and very little to no more gluten (not allergic, just makes me bloated and feel like garbage). My husband is a meat eater and has never been supportive of my WOE, so it would be nice to have a support group that understands.
  • snowdemon75
    snowdemon75 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My son has just decided to try being a vegetarian so I’m interested as maybe it will give me ideas for him I think it’s be around 5 months since he’s eaten meat but he tells me he feels better and he’s lost some weight
  • cassyblack86
    cassyblack86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Vegan chef here! Feel free to add me if you like meal inspiration and pics!
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I'm in the process of transitioning to a more plant based diet, with a goal of switching over to a whole foods, pescetarian woe at some point. Currently working on reducing chicken/beef right now, while upping beans and whole grains :)