What cardio do you do during the winter?

Options

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I continue to run outside, as do many others in my community. I have cold weather gear (most bought at a second hand shop) and lights since there is less daylight. I find I'm less efficient in cold weather, but I really enjoy getting outside and I prefer it to a treadmill. The coldest I've been out this year is 14°F.

I spend bad weather days (windy, sleet, ice, etc...) on cross training with bodyweight exercises.

It certainly is managable if you want it to be.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Nordic skiing.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I prefer to exercise outdoors at three local parks. I have a 12” step in my office and a couple kettlebells for days when it’s too cold or raining hard to my liking.

Last indoor cardio workout was 15 rounds of the following: KB snatch R x 5 then KB snatch L x 5 then 25 step-ups using the 12” step. I ued a 20kg KB and I started a new round every 2:00 so the entire workout took slightly less than 30 minutes.

Definitely a bona-fide cardio workout.
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Treadmill always for me. Even when the weather is nice. I prefer that it keeps me on the pace I wanna go.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Running outside unless there is glare ice or lightning. However, I end up walking less during the winter since it's too chilly to be pleasant. So I make an effort to get extra movement in by dancing to music, Zumba, or in a pinch stationary bike.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Hiking/backpacking, snowshoeing, running inside or out.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Spin classes, elliptical, rowing machines, interval classes.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Snowshoeing or nordic (cross country) skiing. Cardio machines at the gym are my last resort. For me, time spent outdoors is a thousand times better than time indoors.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I run outside, year 'round, regardless of the weather (though right now I'm using the Octane LateralX and Elliptical until I'm cleared to run outside by my Doc after my recent surgery).
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Soulcycle mostly for cardio.. 🙌🏻
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    running, biking, hiking, nordic skiing
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same as summer except my biking isson a trainer and swimming in the pool. Swimming laps is almost as mind numbing as running on a treadmill which I do occasionally when there's freezing rain.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Treadmill if it's too icy to run outside. Cross Country skiing when I can.
  • jkmalte
    jkmalte Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I run and do spin classes. I also train with heavy weights w a PT twice a week and take a barre class once a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I do more cycling on my indoor trainer vs outside...that said, we still have some really nice days in winter and I can still get out and ride on weekends. The biggest difficulty is darkness at the times I have the greatest availability.

I also belong to a small community center near my office and just go over their and jump on the treadmill or elliptical from time to time. I also take the boys to the trampoline park every couple of weekends or so and I get a pretty good workout jumping around for an hour with them.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    I lift weights.

faster.
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I own rollers, so I haul my bicycle upstairs to my workout room, set up, and try not to murder myself by zipping right off the damned things. :) Not only is is great cardio getting the spin on (and it doesn't kill my knees by having to adjust to a different bike fit, so I avoid the pain that visits me when I use stationary bikes at the local gym), it's got the heart rate going insanely high due to the stress of trying not to fall. :D
  • meritage5
    meritage5 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    cross country skiing, snowshoeing, walking, ice skating and I set my road bike up on a windtrainer
    There is also swimming and aqua zumba
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I run outside. I live in Norway so that means darkness, cold and ice but with decent gear its safe enough.

shqy3f55ezhr.jpg
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I walk every day and the only weather that will make me use a treadmill at the gym is lightening. Couple of extra layers in the winter and I’m good even below zero. I used to dread snow (still do but not for walking in) since I got a pair of pull on spikes. Nary a slip.