What cardio do you do during the winter?

Options
Hey there! I have been wanting to shake things up when it comes to my cardio (getting a bit bored on the elliptical) and I am interested what you guys do during winter (since exercising outside is a tad more difficult)? Any suggestions / experiences welcome!

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I run on the treadmill. I know lots of people hate the treadmill but I really don't mind it. I either put on a good playlist (for a harder run) or listen to one of my favorite podcasts (lighter runs).
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Weather permitting I continue to run and cycle
    If not I turn to YouTube videos For instance fitnessblender or Popsugar
  • Coconutsfordaze
    Coconutsfordaze Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Stationary biking tabata style:) there is a great YouTube video to bike along with !
    Also kettle bells & HIIT like turbo fire or p90x3
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I run, outside as much as I possibly can. Plus I train with a PT outside in all weathers.
    Plus go to classes......
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,434 Member
    Options
    I switch from rowing boats to rowing machines in the Winter, and keep going to spin class. Since rowing machine is usually less volume (just not as fun as boats, and I'm undisciplined that way), I try to throw in some other random things like a brisk walk on warmer (40F+) days, swimming, strength training, etc.

Rowing is great, but it's important to learn how to do it correctly. Most people at the gym don't know how to do it in a way that they'll get a good workout, so they set the damper on 10 (thinking it's resistance), and move up and down the slide really, really fast. Even some trainers teach it badly. If you can find decent instruction, it's a good workout, intense, lots of muscle groups, and fun . . . for a machine. But it's not a boat. :(
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I just keep on going outside. I spent the $$ to get clothes that keep me warm both running and cycling. I just don’t do rain and cold both at the same time.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Videos mostly. I like kickboxing 😀 I go to the gym to lift.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I run outside as much as I possibly can because sunshine and fresh air (especially in the winter) are good for my soul.

If I’m stuck inside, I’ll do some sort of circuit training, or rowing/biking/maybe treadmill for cardio.

But my training is also structured so that the winter is a heavier focus on strength training (and switches for spring-fall when it’s preferable to be outside vs cooped up in a gym).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Same things I usually do in the summer. My Max Trainer workout machine, workout videos, workout apps, walking (just gotta bundle up).
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I switch from rowing boats to rowing machines in the Winter, and keep going to spin class. Since rowing machine is usually less volume (just not as fun as boats, and I'm undisciplined that way), I try to throw in some other random things like a brisk walk on warmer (40F+) days, swimming, strength training, etc.

Rowing is great, but it's important to learn how to do it correctly. Most people at the gym don't know how to do it in a way that they'll get a good workout, so they set the damper on 10 (thinking it's resistance), and move up and down the slide really, really fast. Even some trainers teach it badly. If you can find decent instruction, it's a good workout, intense, lots of muscle groups, and fun . . . for a machine. But it's not a boat. :(

I Love the Rowing machine! It is a great full body exercise for those who ride horses (my primary interest). I have never rowed on water ... that would be fun to try
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Indoors, I do both solo and group bike trainer rides and swimming, with occasional treadmill runs & rower work thrown in.

We usually do a weekly outdoor group run in the cold weather and I even ride my bike outdoors when temps and road conditions allow it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    In Canada, I rode my bike trainer, took spinning classes, cross-country skied, and snowshoed. And I cycled outside on weekends.

In Australia, I ride my bike trainer, take spinning classes, and run. And I cycle outside on weekends.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I Love the Rowing machine! It is a great full body exercise for those who ride horses (my primary interest). I have never rowed on water ... that would be fun to try

Oh yes, there is that too ... we often go to the gym once or twice a week during winter. Once for spinning classes, and another time to run on the treadmill and row.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Mostly in winter I switch from outdoor cycling to indoor cycling.
    The indoor stuff is very useful and a chance to do the more technical training as you have full control of the various parameters.

I do find indoor riding a bit of a chore though, it's definitely training for performance not exercising for fun.
    When the weather allows I ride outside but as I have Raynaud's I don't tolerate cold very well.

• JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Walk outside. I have yak-traks and dress warm (in WI).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I bundle up and hit the woods behind my house. I like to do trail maintenance. There was less ATV activity out there this year, so there is a lot for me to do.

I've also been making a new trail through the swamp. The ground is higher along stone walls that were probably put there in the 1800s, so I've been clearing along that to give me a new way to access the trails on the other side of the swamp. While I do very much enjoy walking, this goal-oriented activity is even more enjoyable for me. Actually, this gets me so warm I'm not even bundling up yet - I'm comfortable in the mid 30 degrees F with two shirts, a hoodie, jeans, wool socks, and insulated boots. I'm a little cold when I start out but warm right up once I start Hulk-smashing.

I intend to get out there every non-rainy day all winter long and bought a $10 balaclava today to help with temperatures in the teens.

I think I'm going to get some books on tape for when I go back to walking or hiking in the state park again. I have a few walking playlists, and I also just listen to NPR.

I'm looking forward to snow shoeing after the first accumulation of snow. I have old wooden snow shoes that a friend found at a yard sale for $5. I don't get very far very fast, but it is an amazing workout - so easy, and yet so hard.
  • nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    treadmill or walk in the mall. I can program my treadmill for various speed, incline, miles, steps or time.
    Usually 30 minutes at the prescribed values established when I went to cardio therapy.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Run. There's almost no weather that can make running outside impossible. Out of 260 runs this year 3 were on the dreadmill. #JustDoIt
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    Where I live gets cold in the winter, but doesn't usually get a lot of snow. I walk every day, regardless of weather. I usually run a spring marathon, so I have to keep up my running in the winter. I run outside most of the time, but I have a TM for days when it is really bad. Cross training days are either dvds or stationary bike.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Swimming, elliptical, and this winter adding bike trainer and spin classes.