Losing Weight After 50

Options
Hi I’m Amy. I’ve lost 23 lbs using MFP and have another 40 to go. Trying to increase my activity and took a 3 mile walk. But my knee hurts. Trying lose weight after 50 is a little different for me. I will say it’s more about the food than the exercise for me. Thoughts?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    logemana wrote: »
    Hi I’m Amy. I’ve lost 23 lbs using MFP and have another 40 to go. Trying to increase my activity and took a 3 mile walk. But my knee hurts. Trying lose weight after 50 is a little different for me. I will say it’s more about the food than the exercise for me. Thoughts?

The good news for you is that it’s easier than after 60 but with desire, discipline, patience and perseverance, it can be done.

• kew1952
    kew1952 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Maybe, rather than taking one long wall, you can do a couple of shorter walks. As we get older, movement is so important for us.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Since I turned 50 it seems like my body wants to add belly fat and lose muscle mass even though I’m the same weight I have been. I feel like I keep needing to raise the exercise bar and lower calories to maintain.

What are your walking shoes like? Perhaps it’s time for a new pair, and if you went from zero to 3 miles maybe it was a bit too much to start. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • idnasenoj
    idnasenoj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. Something to consider are your shoes maybe they have worn out and are not giving you the support you need. When my knees begin to hurt I get new running shoes immediately. It keeps my knee pain away. Just a thought
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I had knee issues too. Finally had a knee replacement. Which solved all those issues. Before that, though. I found exercises in the pool and the rowing machine (both nom-weight-bearing) were both quite doable (just wish I had done the replacement sooner).
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Last year I turned 50 & I lost over 50 pounds. It seems like it's so much easier to gain the weight now than even 5 years ago, but for me, it was all about 2 things. Eating better & finding a workout that you can't wait to do again & again, which was 9Round (35 minute kickboxing workout). When I was lifting & running, it was so easy to find excuses to skip a day. Now I find excuses to get to 9Round more.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Age isn't really the main factor at all for weight loss.
    Losing weight is always mostly about how much you eat whatever your age.
    Injuries aren't unique to aging either - I started wrecking my knees and back way back in my 20's and 30's.

There are some differences in that the rate of fitness improvements and recovery from exercise are slower as you age. I definitely have to train a bit smarter rather than go all out all of the time. But my volume of exercise is higher than ever but I've built that up steadily and progressively over a long time period.

For health and fitness my 50's have been a great decade and losing the excess weight has noticeably reduced the pain from my old injuries.

Keep it up Amy, it's worth it.

I'm 67 and I completely agree.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    mtnstar wrote: »
    Since I turned 50 it seems like my body wants to add belly fat and lose muscle mass even though I’m the same weight I have been.

Every body wants to do that, regardless of age. There is really only one way to not lose muscle - resistance training. Moving them alone won't do it. And deficit, while it may help with the loss of belly fat, won't help with muscle preservation.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that diet is the driver and exercise the passenger :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    What was you activity level prior to this?

I had extensive damage to my left knee and used the elliptical when I first started out on MFP. This evolved to walking and currently to running. Along the way I also started lifting heavy using a progressive resistance program and this helped more than anything. Key point though I hired a professional to ensure that my form was perfect when I get started off again.

Give it time and take it slowly. Your body is adjusting and building up capillary beds to support this new activity.
  • cvgolfcoach
    cvgolfcoach Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is you must keep moving; at minimum walk and stretch everyday. It's good for your heart and metabolism. Don't use those aches and pains as an excuse to avoid exercise. Yes it's frustrating, find a personal trainer who understands your needs. Good luck!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Age isn't really the main factor at all for weight loss.
    Losing weight is always mostly about how much you eat whatever your age.
    Injuries aren't unique to aging either - I started wrecking my knees and back way back in my 20's and 30's.

There are some differences in that the rate of fitness improvements and recovery from exercise are slower as you age. I definitely have to train a bit smarter rather than go all out all of the time. But my volume of exercise is higher than ever but I've built that up steadily and progressively over a long time period.

For health and fitness my 50's have been a great decade and losing the excess weight has noticeably reduced the pain from my old injuries.

Keep it up Amy, it's worth it.

I'm 67 and I completely agree.

I am 67 too. I am losing weight in my 60’s and it isn’t any harder than it was when I was in my 20’s.
    I bought into the whole idea that, “it’s harder to lose weight over 40”, and figured, why try?
    It takes commitment, dedication, and perseverance, no matter what age you are, and most people, with no medical issue that could affect weight loss, can do this. There are many, many people here, adults of all ages, that have done, and are doing it.
    I exercise more now, than I have done in decades. Losing the weight has made a lot of difference in my mobility.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    logemana wrote: »

It's more about the food than exercise for everyone, regardless of age. Exercise is great for overall health and well being and has the added benefit of increasing energy expenditure to some degree...but for most people, that degree is relatively small as compared to the calories being expended just being alive and going about your day to day.