Healthy Homemade Pizza Recipes...?

Options

Replies

• jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I tried a black bean spinach pizza recipe (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-spinach-pizza/detail.aspx) a while ago with a few modifications -- less cheese, whole wheat crust, fresh spinach. Not your typical pizza, but it was really yummy, filling, and nutritious.

I also LOVE little english muffin pizzas as others have recommended (I use Thomas 100 calorie triple health muffins). Turkey pepperoni is great as well!
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm a fan of whole wheat or whole grain flour tortillas as the pizza crust. Place in the oven at 400 for about 2-3 minutes on both sides, then add sauce, cheese (if you must) and lots of fresh veggies! I'm a fan of mushrooms, peppers, onions, scallions and garlic, in any combination!

P.S. Saw the cauliflower crust recipe on Dr. Oz this morning. You might want to check out his website as well.
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the cauliflower crust. . . I forgot to mention that one. . I have made it. . It was very delicious.

http://www.examiner.com/low-carb-in-national/cauliflower-pizza-crust-worth-its-wow-gold
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I also just discovered the light italian flatout bread and do the same. Toast first in toaster oven then top with 1/4 ragu pizzza sauce, 1/4 shredded mozzarella, and other toppings, spinach, crushed red pepper, onions, mushrooms put back in toaster oven and broiled to melt cheese. I usually end up eating 2 YUMMY!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    OP thanks for asking this question! I'm posting so I can save this for later. :D Great topic!
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Pizza sandwiches. Use a 1/2 sourdough roll spread with some spaghetti sauce, topped with low fat cheese and other toppings of choice.

Bake until melted.

I like to put my toppings under the cheese so they dont slide of the sandwich.
  • HisSonbeamer
    Options
    yummy sounds delicious! love all the ideas
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Flat out italian makes the best crust for only 100 calories. Top it with whatever you want. Mine usually rund about 250 calories.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Ok, if you're looking for pizza from a Pizza Delivery place, then try Pizza Hut. Some of them have a "Fit n' Delicious" pizza which is amazing! It's thin crust and has tomatoes, onions, cheese and peppers on it. It comes in a 12" size and has only 150 calories a slice. I got it when I was in Indiana a few months ago. However, not all Pizza Huts carry the "Fit n' Delicious" crust but it doesn' hurt to ask! Unfortunately, they don't carry it where I live! : (
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    HAVE YOUR PIZZA!!!!
    If, you completely deny yourself your favorite foods your more likely to cheat. Order a small or medium pizza and only take one or two slices and put it with a giant salad. If you live alone freeze the rest of the pizza in ziplocks (pre portioned) it will last months. :wink:
  • Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    We have homemade pizzas, topped with cheese and veggies.
    The recipe we used last time came from here:
    http://step-by-step-cook.co.uk/mains/pizza/?persons=2&units=Metric

It can take a little longer to make your pizza from scratch so we sometimes make more than we need of the dough and the sauce, and then freeze them for another time.

Having it homemade gives you much more control on calories and flavours, and I find it to be more filling.

One of the restaurants in the UK does a healthy pizza option where the centre of the pizza has been removed and replaced with a tasty salad, which I think is great.
  • YeOldeLancer
    Options
    I LOVE pizza!! Pizza never has to be a bad thing. It's what you put on it that makes it bad! I love Trader Joe's Marinara as my base and use your favorite yeast risen dough, then:

fresh basil
    fresh mozzerella (the one stored in water)
    sliced roma tomatoes.
    fresh ground black pepper
    Add your sliced tomatoes, chunks or slices of fresh mozzarella and black pepper, bake until the crust is golden brown, then tear pieces of fresh basil on top!

another one:
    goat cheese (3 oz or so)
    proscuitto
    thin sliced zucchini
    drizzle of truffle oil (or olive oil will be delicious too)
    Crumble your goat cheese and add finely slice proscuitto pieces and thinly sliced zucchini, bake until crust is golden brown and drizzle a little bit of truffle oil or olive olive when done. DELICIOUS!

Here's another tip: if you have a pizza stone, use your gas or charcoal grill to get the stone nice and HOT. It will get much hotter in a grill than in the oven. You have have much better results as your crust will be crispy.

If you go easy on the toppings, each slice will come out to be about 200 cals!!
  • KimberlyDenice
    Options
    what is naan bread and where can you get it?
  • akashastrega
    Options

It is an flat Indian bread often served with olive oil and garlic, most Mediterranean markets carry it as does Trader Joes and I think, Whole Foods.
  • Kaecklund
    Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Oooooh I got one here and it's delicious! 150 cals/each. Not traditional pizza...

4 portabello mushroom caps
    4 roma tomatoes, chopped
    1 leek, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
    fresh grated parmesan cheese
    4 basil leaves, chopped
    olive oil for sauteeing - I use about 2 TBSP (that's where most of the cals come from)

Sautee the onions until soft. Add the leek, tomatoes and basil. Sautee until soft and stir in lemon juice. Spread on top of mushroom caps and top with parmesan cheese. I cooked them in a baking dish and they were a little juicy and slippery on the bottom of the mushroom. Next time I think I will try it in a broiler pan. I LOVED them. I had 2 and was full. My boyfriend liked them too and he doesn't usually like "healthy" stuff like that.

Enjoy!

I tried to post a picture - not sure if it will upload:
    zmhwgj.jpg
  • Kaecklund
    Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
    Options

It is an flat Indian bread often served with olive oil and garlic, most Mediterranean markets carry it as does Trader Joes and I think, Whole Foods.

Emeril's naan is good... If you could substitute whole wheat flour maybe? I make it with my Chicken Tikka Masala and it turns out great! Not sure how to minimize the oil though...
    http://www.emerils.com/recipe/4422/Naan-Bread
  • lorettatat
    Options
    Bump
  • AmazingStace
    AmazingStace Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just made a cauliflower crust for a pizza last night and it was AMAZING! I was skeptical at first, but it didn't really taste like cauliflower, and half a pizza was 314 calories. I'll definitely be making it a weekly treat on Saturday nights!