Just need a little motivation and help

Options
I keep track of my weight loss daily on a dry erase board as well as on here. I know it may be a little obsessive, but I just like to see the fluctuations all throughout the month. It helps me find out what negatively and positively affects my weight loss based on how I did. Well every Sunday, I record my neck, waist, and hip measurements as well as my weight that day and my BMI. I've been slowly losing weight in pounds, but my measurements, for the past month and a half have stayed the same. I also don't feel like I've lost much body fat, yet my BMI is going down. Feel free to check out my food diary if it will help and these are the calenders I've been recording.

Here is July's calender:
IMG_4932.jpg

And this is this month's calender so far:
August2011calender.jpg

Replies

• streetnamejim
    Options
    Hi Amanda. :) Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are exercising in a way that builds strength then you are going to see a slower loss of weight as you get more lean. Weight fluctuations can also vary throughout the day, so I don't know about you, but it would drive me bonkers trying to weigh myself and monitor it closely everyday. Perhaps you could cut yourself some slack and only write it down on Sundays? Check it if you like every hour, but only document it once a week. Be sure to weigh yourself at the same time of day (first thing in the AM is pretty consistent) too.

In any case, keep your chin up!! you are making progress for the long haul... so keep digging and you'll get there!! :)
  • JennysMan
    Options
    See if there is some way you can make a change in your routine...what you eat...when you eat...when you exercise....how long you exercise...the type of exercise. Sometimes your body gets into a rut based on your routine, and it just takes a simple change to "wake it up" and get your metabolism kicked up again. You're obviously dedicated and doing a great job. Just think where you would be today if you weren't working hard to become healthier. Also, remind yourself that it's not about numbers, but about health. The numbers help you "see" the changes, but ulimately, every day that you eat and exercise is making you an overall healthier person! Keep up the good work, and you'll be fine! :)
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It really depends. I'm not going to lecture you on the benefits of not weighing in every day because you know them already, I'm sure. What types of exercise are you doing? Is it purely diet? How many pounds total have you lost so far?

The thing is that the body is not a static machine. 1 + 1 doesn't always necessarily add up to 2. Because you are tracking it everyday, there will be fluctuations that affect your weight. Everything from water retention to genetics. You are indeed losing weight, but you have to be patient with the measurements. Fat comes off in tiny sheets, and often the places we are measuring are the last to go (face, neck, waist). Stay encouraged and keep doing what you're doing. You'll get there. Just remember that being healthy is a journey, not a race. You will get to where you want to be in due time. Then you'll look back, laugh, and wonder what all the fuss was about! Keep pushing!
  • amandarenee31
    amandarenee31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have been more specific. I only weigh my self first thing in the morning, before I've had anything to drink or eat, and after I've gone to the bathroom.

As far as everything else goes, I constantly change what I eat and I drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. I also try to stay under 1,500 mg of sodium a day so that doesn't cause water retention. The only thing is that I've been having a hard time staying motivated for exercise. I usually exercise for at least 40 minutes 6 days out of the week and I take one rest day with no exercise where I simply keep track of what I eat.

I'm not concerned about the weight on the scale so much because that HAS been going down. I'm more concerned about my measurements and why they have stayed the same for over an entire month. I'm not even going down 1/2 an inch like I did last month.

I've been working out, sleeping enough, and eating fairly healthy for over 3 months now and have lost a total of 28 pounds.
  • streetnamejim
    Options
    keep at it Amanda... you are doing good. :)
  • amandarenee31
    amandarenee31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I still can't figure out why I haven't lost any inches of body fat though. Other than the fact that I've lowered my sodium and have been slacking exercise wise.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Do you see a difference in the mirror, or has anyone spotted your weight loss yet? The weight obviously is coming from somewhere. It's not physically possible to lose 28 lbs of water weight alone (and even then, water occupies volume!).