Need some help with weight loss

Options
Alright so I've been down this road before and it is very frustrating. I have been working out now for at least three months. At first I lost and went from weighing 170 to 162. I had a period of not watching as closely what I was eating for a week and a half but still exercising. I have my cheat days on the weekends. Especially with parties etc... I don't feel so bad about it. Well I have noticed that my weight has gone up to 166 or so. I gain weight around that time of the month but don't we all.

I have noticed that I have a lot of definition in my arms and I am starting to show signs of my abs poking out (I stared at those in the mirror, very exciting) I also now fit into a size 8 where before I was at least a 10. I am feeling a bit discouraged because I put on muscle so quickly and my body doesn't seem to become much slimmer before I start to bulk up. Why is that. And yes I am only lifting light weights (5 lbs and under) while doing a Jillian Michaels 30 shred for sculpting 4 times a week with either belly dancing or skating or running or some other type of activity at least once a week. That's it no more weights but I can't seem to get slim just muscular.

Replies

• mdebroy
    Options
    Alright so I've been down this road before and it is very frustrating. I have been working out now for at least three months. At first I lost and went from weighing 170 to 162. I had a period of not watching as closely what I was eating for a week and a half but still exercising. I have my cheat days on the weekends. Especially with parties etc... I don't feel so bad about it. Well I have noticed that my weight has gone up to 166 or so. I gain weight around that time of the month but don't we all.

I have noticed that I have a lot of definition in my arms and I am starting to show signs of my abs poking out (I stared at those in the mirror, very exciting) I also now fit into a size 8 where before I was at least a 10. I am feeling a bit discouraged because I put on muscle so quickly and my body doesn't seem to become much slimmer before I start to bulk up. Why is that. And yes I am only lifting light weights (5 lbs and under) while doing a Jillian Michaels 30 shred for sculpting 4 times a week with either belly dancing or skating or running or some other type of activity at least once a week. That's it no more weights but I can't seem to get slim just muscular.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Can you find a personal trainer? Like, maybe just 4 sessions with one to show you what kind of exercises to do and nutritionally how to slim down? Also, it may just be your body type, which is not a bad thing - better muscular than flabby!!!
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have a body type that puts on more muscle. I alternate with heavy and light weights and a lot of cardio, especially swimming which really burns calories and overall tones. Keep in mind that muscle does weigh more than fat. A trainer told me how to compute the muscle mass gained, but I don't remember it. I have had similair situations, one month at the gym, went down in inches a lot, but hardly lost weight on the scales. I ignore the scales and concentrate on how my clothes are fitting.
  • mdebroy
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Yeah I went to see a trainer at the gym and that was a complete bust. He had me doing lots of weights and I just well I just got bigger. Some people... I need to learn to stay off the scales too. Your probably right. I can go to the gym and drop 4 dress sizes in 3 months. My body likes the muscle. Thanks for the tips and I think I am going to try the swimming.