Help

Options
I have been trying to lose weight now for three months I exercise and eat right but instead of losing I gain I suffer from depression and anxiety have bad knees and heart condition not sure what to try any advice welcome

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what does 'eating right' mean? are you weighing your food and eating in a deficit?
  • Firewife18
    Firewife18 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Meant by not eating junk food fried or greasy foods that's what I meant all my food is either grilled or baked
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Firewife18 wrote: »
    Meant by not eating junk food fried or greasy foods that's what I meant all my food is either grilled or baked

make no difference how its cooked, if you're not eating in a deficit you wont lose weight.
  • Firewife18
    Options
    OK I mean I'm constantly active every day with work and my kids always on the move I walk to and from work everyday I'm not always able to eat breakfast due to the time I work
  • PartyPerson
    PartyPerson Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think, like me, it might be portion size which is blocking all of your efforts. I was genuinely shocked when I started weighing my food - I'd been eating portions which were at least three times the recommended amount. I understand the depression, but cut yourself a bit of slack here. Keep at it, weigh your food and keep moving and it will start to work. And when you're having a bad day, it isn't your fault and it will pass (I know that's difficult to believe when you are in the depths). hugs.
  • Firewife18
    Options
    I think, like me, it might be portion size which is blocking all of your efforts. I was genuinely shocked when I started weighing my food - I'd been eating portions which were at least three times the recommended amount. I understand the depression, but cut yourself a bit of slack here. Keep at it, weigh your food and keep moving and it will start to work. And when you're having a bad day, it isn't your fault and it will pass (I know that's difficult to believe when you are in the depths). hugs.

Thank you I have set my mind to it that this year I am going to lose the weight and keep it off I have my children who are active and want me to be able to run around with them so I'm determined to lose weight
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Rogersfit1 wrote: »
    As you’re working out your weight gain could be muscle as this weighs more than fat. I would also watch your sugar intake. Look out for sucrose, fructose, or corn syrup on food labels and try and avoid or greatly decrease your consumption of them.
    Many low fat/zero fat foods have different forms of sugar added to give the food some taste. Basically try and keep processed foods to a minimum and keep vegetables , fruit and meats higher.
    Keep going you’ll reach your goal if you don’t give in 😊

OP won't accidentally gain appreciable amounts of muscle, especially when she doesn't even mention strength training.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    keeping a food diary include any snacks in-between there is no need to be super strick it's really helpful to look at your eating habits then you can look at ways of tweaking like having a glass of water instead of an orange juice or tweaking portion size by having a spoon less or slice less. Also swapping certain things for healthier choice that has a better nutritional value to it
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Like @PartyPerson, until I started weighing my food and tracking, my portions were seriously out of whack. Like you, I had even cut out anything fried and limited dietary fat.

Having lost a lot on my own, I thought I knew what I was doing. But until I started crunching numbers, I was fumbling around in the dark. Count calories and plan your meals and snacks. Given time even a small calorie deficit will get you what you want.

Weight loss takes place in the kitchen. I can undo an hour’s work at the gym in 5 minutes with a fork in my hand.
  • Pool_Boy
    Pool_Boy Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    @Firewife18 You can do this!!!!
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. You need to start actually tracking what you're eating. I bet you're eating way more than you think. Also, maybe look in to low carbing it. Not keto... just low carb... like 100g of carbs a day. You'd be surprised how much that helps too.