I need to break it down to smaller goals

Options
First goals are:
Don’t eat past 7
Drink at least 80 oz of water
Stop drinking juice and soda. Don’t need it.
Track food don’t worry about calories, just track
Workout 3x a week
Sleep -this one is a hard one- 6-8 hrs a night. (I’m lucky if I get 4)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yeah that's a lot in one go.

whats the reason you only get 4 hours sleep?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    First goals are:
    Don’t eat past 7
    Drink at least 80 oz of water
    Stop drinking juice and soda. Don’t need it.
    Track food don’t worry about calories, just track
    Workout 3x a week
    Sleep -this one is a hard one- 6-8 hrs a night. (I’m lucky if I get 4)

Depending on how big a change this is, those could be big done all at once.

What I did when I started was set weekly goals and focus on just one or two things.

For example, I think my first week I was supposed to start logging food, cook my breakfasts and dinners, no snacking between meals, plus walk everywhere I possibly could. Since I already cooked a decent amount, that wasn't a huge change for me (it was mostly the not snacking and walking when I might have driven or cabbed, plus logging), and were some things easy to focus on.

When that was set (after a couple of weeks), I decided I'd workout at least 30 minutes 3 days per week (it was a cold winter and I mostly like outdoor exercise, so I decided to make going back to the gym or pool as easy on myself as possible). I also in later weeks focused on making and bringing my lunch rather than buying it, and increasing my exercise amounts.

Right now I'm doing the same thing, with some different goals (getting back to my daily meditation, for example).

Because I'm a major planner and motivated that way, I also had monthly and 3-month goals, up to running a half marathon and doing a local bike ride, but I think having the specific weekly goals and checking in daily in my journal with progress and struggles really helped.

I was always a 4-5 hour sleep person too (still am too often), and although I did not do it as one of my initial goals (I've worked on it off and on since), I would recommend focusing on the sleep like some others have suggested. Being tired is one of the things that makes not snacking/not overeating and getting in the workouts toughest.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I get annoyed by claims that you should never eat past 7 (or 6 or even 5), since I am rarely home before 8 and like to eat a dinner I cook at home (so often at 9). However, if you struggle with overeating in the evening not eating past dinner can be a good easy thing to try. (I stay up late often but don't eat once I'm finished with dinner plus any planned dessert which would be immediately after dinner.)

Similarly, while I totally agree that the focus on drinking lots of water is a dieting myth, if someone is trying to stop drinking beverages with calories it can be helpful and also having an easy goal to check off daily can sometimes be encouraging and give a feeling of accomplishment.

Pee color is a good rule of thumb.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I feel like the list is a bit much all at once. From my personal experience, focusing on 1-3 things at one time, getting that down and then moving to a new goal(s) has a higher success rate. But if you feel this is something you can tackle, they hey - more power to you! I wish you the best of luck, and I really hope you are able to meet your goals. <3
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I get annoyed by claims that you should never eat past 7 (or 6 or even 5), since I am rarely home before 8 and like to eat a dinner I cook at home (so often at 9). However, if you struggle with overeating in the evening not eating past dinner can be a good easy thing to try. (I stay up late often but don't eat once I'm finished with dinner plus any planned dessert which would be immediately after dinner.)

Similarly, while I totally agree that the focus on drinking lots of water is a dieting myth, if someone is trying to stop drinking beverages with calories it can be helpful and also having an easy goal to check off daily can sometimes be encouraging and give a feeling of accomplishment.

Pee color is a good rule of thumb.

Oh man, I'm with you. It drives me nuts when people take suggestions from the USDA as hard and fast. They recommended not eating after a certain time because it helped with mindless night eating. There's nothing about eating at night that causes weight gain other than the fact that many people do it mindlessly. If you're mindful about eating at night and fit it into your day, it has no impact.

Sugar has also been victim to this. USDA suggested that people cut down on added sugars, people took that as "sugar is bad". The intention of the suggestion was because people were crowding out micronutrients by choosing foods that were devoid of anything but sugar. However, choosing nutrient-dense foods that are high in sugar (such as bananas or apples) were never considered part of that, and sugar itself was part of that, just that people were eating sugar on it's own and not making up for the lack of nutrients with other foods.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    When i was starting, i did ONE goal at a time.

log my food. all of it. good and bad. weighed on a scale. Dont worry about calories.

got into that habit.

then, added exercise. started by simple walks. one walk, at least 10 minutes. increased from there.

give it time, and adding on reasonable goals, and ,mastering those before adding more, equaled 100 pounds lost (and going).

its not a race.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Those are actually fairly large goals. I suggest you only take on 1 or 2 of those at a time, for several weeks, before you add anything else.

Agreed. I'd chose "log all food/drinks" as goal #1.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    OP, your goals are awesome!
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    MarilynTC wrote: »
    I agree with the others who said to make the first goal to log everything. I have always been good for a week or so, then have a high calorie day and tell myself I blew it, and from then on my logging gets lazy. I decided to just keep logging no matter if I go way over one day. Who knows except for me, and it isn't a failure.

Exactly the right attitude! I also find it helpful to try to understand what happened if I go way over on a day -- logging helps me with mindfulness.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    No sense in rehashing what others have said. I strongly suggest starting with logging and sleeping.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    You're already getting smarter about this process for yourself. Hang in there. Lots of good advice here. You seem to know some things that already work for you (the correlation between eating and sleeping), so keep that up. For most of us, logging food is what it comes down to. And once you start this process, consistency and patience. I'm struggling with both right now because I'm trying to lose the 10 I gained, and to do it the way I want to, that's about half a pound a week, which really isn't visible week to week. In the meantime, we just stick to it, and trust.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Good job on stopping the soda and juice. Those are big. Also good job on getting more sleep. I have to say I've not had cats that wake me up. I do feed them right before I go to bed, so maybe that's it (?)

I agree with everyone else that logging food is the #1 most important thing I did (and still do.) It takes me about a minute per meal and it has changed everything about my food, exercise and nutrition. :)