The Better Than Ever Challenge!

Options

Replies

• pffssas
    pffssas Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    @futurekilousky...your courage is amazing! i'm proud of you and impressed by you, your goal for this challenge is to not let the part of you that wants to take the easy road off the hook. be TOUGH and DON"T GIVE UP!!! we are here cheering for you every step of the way! Thank you for sharing that pain with us...know this YOU WILL WIN THIS BATTLE and CHANGE THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. i am soooooo pulling for you. (we ALL ARE). hugz and much luv
    Leslie
  • pffssas
    Options
    @jnchorn...your biggest victory is not the weight that you've lost so far (which by the way is mindblowing and incredible), your greatest victory is 1)you're still here and havent given up. 2)when i asked u to join us for support and encouragement, you said yes. putting others before your doubts, fears, and insecurities is one word: A M A Z I N G. You are AMAZING...U are amazing. Don't let anyone (including yourself) tell you any differently. Thank you for stepping outside yourself and pushing and encouraging us in our journey. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! btw its okay to be critical of yourself, thats TRUE self development. Don't be afraid to demand THE VERY BEST FROM YOURSELF, and if you don't remember to cheer for you, don't worry thats what i'm here for! and i know really well just how much you rock!
    Sendn u all the luv and support your heart can hold!!! (if you ever need to scream...email me!)
    Leslie
  • pffssas
    Options
    Hi all...just thought i would share...really struggling to meet my goals with the new hectic schedule. deep breathing ahhhhhh hopefully it'll work itself out! if not i see some changes in my future...life is to short to not put HEALTH and HAPPINESS high on my list!!! Hope you guys are having a great week!!!

p.s.I think we should start posting every Sunday a short paragraph about how we won or lost the challenges (personal challenges and better than ever challenges) for the week. whatcha think? let me know!
  • 4N6junkie
    Options
    @jnchorn Hey Girl, my advice is to SLOW down and stop being so hard on yourself. I think you really need to try and eat the calories you need. The way things are going you can tell that you are already starting to plateau. Losing 8lbs in two weeks is a lot.. and now your body is going into starvation mode so it's going to try and retain whatever you put into it. "Slowly but Surely" is the way to go. Also, remind yourself that you are only human! It is IMPOSSIBLE to be perfect in this life so ya might as well stop stressing about it lol. As far as lesser losses.. (that doesn't seem right...?) just remember... however long ago .. you weren't even achieving that! It is STILL good and your still losing. Embrace your victories.. no matter how small. Wars have never been won without smaller battles and skirmishes.
  • pffssas
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Challengers!!! Due to several emails I received recently I'm posting a list of sites that I use daily or 1 to 3 times a week...I know how hard it can be finding something "that fits" when you first get started. I included a site about rebounding but thats just FYI...i usually just pop shania twain into the DVD and jump to my hearts content! Hope this helps!!!
    Leslie

1) its a timer that keeps track of how long i'm working out
    http://www.online-stopwatch.com/full-screen-stopwatch/

2) my interval training site
    http://www.losebellyfatworkout.com/category/week1

3) my stretching exercises
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/405713-top-ten-stretching-exercises/

4) my strength training site
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

5) 33 benefits of rebounding
    http://www.healthbounce.com/33ways.htm

6) my personal fitness plan and the ultimate fitness challenge
    http://members.doctoroz.com/challenge/ultimate-health-challenge
  • pffssas
    Options
    Saw this creed as a status post and luvd it!!!! Thank you nckrystalblue!

Promise Yourself The Optimist Creed
    Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet. To make all your friends feel like there is something in them. To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true. To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and expect only the best. To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own. To forget the mistakes of the past and press on the greater achievements of the future. To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living person you meet a smile. To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others. To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, and too strong for fear, and to happy to permit the presence of trouble.
    4 hours ago · Comment
  • pffssas
    Options
    TGIF BETTER THAN EVER CHALLENGERS!!!! Its 3 weeks into our 12 week challenge only 9 more weeks to go...yay! I hope everyone is meeting their goals and happy with the changes they've made in their lives. I know I am!!! Take this weekend to evaluate whether your program is working or not. If not...change it. Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results. If you need to yell (in triumph or frustration), jump or cartwheel...I'm here, email me. Hope this weekend is your best ever!!!

My gift to you for today...my theme song. Hope it inspires you as much as it does me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5-yKhDd64s&ob=av2e
  • 4N6junkie
    Options
    Alright! Is there anything challengers want to use for this coming week's challenge booster? A particular struggle your having a hard time with and want us to join in?

If you wish to remain anonymous, for whatever reason, you can send me a message and I'll post the challenge in here for you.

Feel free to send anything and If I get multiple things I'll just pick one for this coming week and do the rest in the following weeks.

Don't be ashamed or nervous! It can be ANYTHING that is giving you a hard time.. like.. fitting in a food category, doing stretches, umm cutting something out? Whatever! Let me know and we'll see if it works.

Note: If someone else's particular challenge booster is impossible for you because of medical issues, we'll find a substitute!

Thanks!
  • pffssas
    Options
    Happy Monday Challengers!!! WOW! It hardly seems like its been 3 weeks since we started this journey together...but it has been! Today begins week 4, by this time you've probably addressed the reasons why you arent physically where you want to be...you've probably learned the things that hold you back and stall your development...you've probably learned which foods and exercises give you the greatest results...you've probably learned your body measurements...and you may have shed a few tears! My greatest desire is that you haven't given up on yourself. I TRULY want whats best for you. I know beyond a shadow of doubt that this can be a hard and difficult journey, if it was easy...more people would choose it. Well we have. I wanted to take the time today to congratulate you, each and every one of you. It takes a lot to agree to learn who you are, destroy the person inside you who's holding you back...and become the woman you DESERVE TO BE. I am soooooo proud of US! As you journey carries you throughout this next week i propose that you do 4 things. 1)Take a picture of yourself today...and print it out. (this pic is FOR YOU) Take it in shorts and a sports bra or in a swim suit etc.etc. 2)Begin to visualize the body that you are creating...see it clearly everyday when you wake up and before you go to bed. If you need to cut out pics of women who have that body do so... 3)Each time you exercise focus on the areas you would like to change and develop them accordingly 4)Use a marker to shape your body in the pic of yourself. Whittle off your belly. Create lean sexy or muscular thighs, erase a double chin. Round out your bottom...recreate the body inthe pic to match the body you visualize in your head.
    I have always believed that you think, believe, achieve...remember that everyday of these next 8 weeks. What you THINK about you BRING about...and bring about the beginnings or completion of the body you desire. Good luck this week...HUGZ!!!
    Leslie
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I found this post today and thought I would pass it along. Happy Monday!

Great Tips on Diet and Exercise from a Trainer

http://vmfit.wordpress.com/starting-out/

Starting Out
    These are our generic recommendations that are appropriate for almost every client we work with. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. However, we do suggest you give serious consideration to all of these recommendations. If there is anything here you question or doubt, let’s discuss it. And of course, we encourage you to discuss your health options and issues with your doctor. Changes in diet and activity level can have risks for some people. However, not changing your diet and activity level can have serious repercussions, too. So, let’s get after it.

Nutrition

You will see no results from your fitness program if you don’t spend at least as much effort on your nutrition as you do your exercise. Fitness is 1 part good nutrition for every part exercise. They are inseparable. Challenge this and you will really be wasting your time. We can’t be more clear or direct than that. So . . .

Plan your meals several days at a time. In one sitting, plan all of your breakfasts, snacks, lunches and dinners and then go shopping for it all. Bring the food home, put it away and do as much prep as you have time for. By doing this, you’ll never not know what your next meal is and when you’ll be eating it. You should never go longer than 3 hours between meals/snacks. And before you have finished all the food you’ve planned for, start the process all over again.

Log your food. Research has shown that writing down everything you eat helps you keep more realistic tabs on what you really do eat. This really works and there really is research to prove it.

Foods to avoid:

All soda (sugar-free and sugar-full are equally bad) – drink water
    Energy Drinks (too many sugars) – drink water
    Energy Bars (too many sugars) – eat fruit, nuts, cheese, yogurt
    Bread, pasta, chips, white rice, white potatoes, tortillas, muffins, rolls . . . Simple starches, flour and grains are counterproductive.
    Cereal, candy, cake, ice cream, fried food, bacon, sausage
    Fast Food
    Frozen Convenience Foods
    Canned or Packaged Convenience Foods (beans and tomatoes specifically are good, other vegetables are OK. Fresh is best)
    Alcohol: 1 glass of wine, 1 beer or 1 shot of alcohol is about 120 – 160 calories. Occasional enjoyment is OK but count the calories and include them in your journal. 3 drinks contain more calories than many meals and have zero nutritional value.
    Protein, Fat and Carbohydrate: For every meal or snack, you should have a protein source, a fat source and a carbohydrate source. Don’t avoid fats. Instead, learn which fats are good for you, respect their caloric density and include the right kind in every meal/snack. Vegetables and fruits should be your primary source of carbohydrate.

Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Produce, Seafood, Meat, Dairy are always on the perimeter of the store. This is where the good food is. However, watch out for the bakery and deli.

Calorie Counting: Lastly, don’t be tempted to over-restrict your calories. If your body is undernourished, it will go into a “starvation” mode where it tries to retain everything you put into it rather than burn it as fuel.

These resources are a great place to start to put together a plan:

What to Eat, by Marion Nestle (Marion Nestle is a professor in the Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health and Professor of Sociology at New York University.)
    www.livestrong.com
    www.nutritiondata.com
    www.foodpolitics.com
    Cardio

You should get 5 or 6 days of vigorous cardio every week. If you’re just starting out with a new exercise program, work your way from 20 to 30 minutes of slow steady state rhythmic exercise (bike, treadmill, elliptical, stair climber, rower, walking). Build up to 60 minutes as quickly as you can (1 to 2 weeks). Once you can do 60 minutes easily, increase the intensity and add interval training. Perform intervals 2 or 3 times per week. The remaining days can be long jogs, long easy bike rides, yoga, pilates, group exercise classes or any of the machines listed above.

Intervals call for a predetermined work to rest ratio that you’ll vary from one week to the next. “Work” refers to a maximum sustainable effort for the duration specified. “Rest” refers to a range between being completely motionless to walking slowly.

Here are some samples you can try after a good 10 – 15 minute dynamic warm-up:

1 minute work, 3 minutes rest
    2 minutes work, 2 minutes rest
    2 minutes work, 1 minute rest
    3 minutes work, 2 minutes rest
    3 minutes work, 1 minute rest
    20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest
    100 yard dash, 100 yard walk
    400 meter sprint, 400 meter walk
    Resistance Training

You should perform a total-body weight-training workout 2 times per week minimum – if you enjoy it, 3 times per week is good. No more than that is necessary or productive. Weights should be heavy and cover all muscle groups every time you work out.

Flexibility & Soft Tissue Work

Stretching and massaging muscles and connective tissues helps improve and/or correct movement and prevents injuries. It also feels really good. Depending on how flexible you are or are not and what activity you have planned, you may want to change the timing of your stretching and foam rolling. Let’s discuss your individual needs before setting any hard and fast rules for how much and when. Certain people with specific skin conditions or other problems should consult a doctor before foam rolling.
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Alright! Is there anything challengers want to use for this coming week's challenge booster? A particular struggle your having a hard time with and want us to join in?

If you wish to remain anonymous, for whatever reason, you can send me a message and I'll post the challenge in here for you.

Feel free to send anything and If I get multiple things I'll just pick one for this coming week and do the rest in the following weeks.

Don't be ashamed or nervous! It can be ANYTHING that is giving you a hard time.. like.. fitting in a food category, doing stretches, umm cutting something out? Whatever! Let me know and we'll see if it works.

Note: If someone else's particular challenge booster is impossible for you because of medical issues, we'll find a substitute!

Thanks!

I have a hard time eating my calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know i should plan my meals and all that but even if i do, i dont feel hungry so i wont eat it and my lunch will sit in my fridge at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so with that said......................i need help!
  • 4N6junkie
    Options
    I have a hard time eating my calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know i should plan my meals and all that but even if i do, i dont feel hungry so i wont eat it and my lunch will sit in my fridge at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so with that said......................i need help!

Robin... That is a really interesting problem to have.
    When did it begin? Is that how you started your weightloss? By stopping yourself from eating? Or is it a deeper fear that you will gain (back) weight?

My biggest concern for you is that your body already seems to be "starvation" mode. You need to force yourself to eat. Your body needs the calories for fuel like a car needs gasoline. You can't function without that fuel. If you don't feel like eating a meal, have something that is small in physical size but packed with calories maybe? We need to reset your system somehow.

Is anyone else having a similar problem? I know, in my case, it is the opposite issue!!
    It also depends on your goal settings. Have you updated them at each loss? Everytime you lose weight you need to go into your goals like if you were changing them and then just "save" the setting and it will update your calorie goals. MFP does update it everyonce in a while but it's good to update it and your intake level may go down. So check that first. I don't know your goals and how big your deficit is.
  • jnchorn
    Options
    This was last night's dinner with a pear & gorgonzola salad and some peas.......

Macaroni and 4 Cheeses from Ellie Krieger

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    1 pound elbow macaroni
    2 (10-ounce) packages frozen pureed winter squash
    2 cups 1 percent lowfat milk
    4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
    4 ounces Monterrey jack cheese, grated
    1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon powdered mustard
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons unseasoned bread crumbs
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
    1 teaspoon olive oil

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until tender but firm, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.

Meanwhile, place the frozen squash and milk into a large saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up the squash with a spoon until it is defrosted. Turn the heat up to medium and cook until the mixture is almost simmering, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the Cheddar, jack cheese, ricotta cheese, salt, mustard and cayenne pepper. Pour cheese mixture over the macaroni and stir to combine. Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the baking dish.

Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, then broil for 3 minutes so the top is crisp and nicely browned.

It is a must try in my opinion. It reminded me of KFC mac and cheese but only had 267 calories in a serving. I am rather good at meal planning so if anyone needs help let me know. :)

Charity

P.S. I lost 2.6 this week, but still struggling with guilt if I eat anything at all.
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Robin... That is a really interesting problem to have.
    When did it begin? Is that how you started your weightloss? By stopping yourself from eating? Or is it a deeper fear that you will gain (back) weight?

My biggest concern for you is that your body already seems to be "starvation" mode. You need to force yourself to eat. Your body needs the calories for fuel like a car needs gasoline. You can't function without that fuel. If you don't feel like eating a meal, have something that is small in physical size but packed with calories maybe? We need to reset your system somehow.

Is anyone else having a similar problem? I know, in my case, it is the opposite issue!!
    It also depends on your goal settings. Have you updated them at each loss? Everytime you lose weight you need to go into your goals like if you were changing them and then just "save" the setting and it will update your calorie goals. MFP does update it everyonce in a while but it's good to update it and your intake level may go down. So check that first. I don't know your goals and how big your deficit is.

I know that my body is in starvation mode! thats my problem and no i think i dont not eat thinking ima gain weight back i dont not eat because i am not hungry! i was on phentermine a while back and that made my system not hungry and thats my downfall.
  • 4N6junkie
    Options
    ah yea.. Phentermine will do that... Y'know I'm kind of at a loss about this case. Maybe you need something to increase your appetite.. I really don't know. Have you spoken to a doctor about it?

I think this is a really important issue but I am not sure how to counter it. You may need to talk to a professional about it. I don't want to be discouraging but I really don't know what to tell you and am also not sure if it's something that will work for the group booster. Lets see if we can figure this out for you.

For everyone else, since the week has already started... for the remainder of the week here is your Booster challenge:

Replace ALL beverages with Water. Yes.. ALL BEVERAGES. If you need caffeine in the morning take a pill... if your working out.. skip the gatorade.. drink water, breakfast, lunch, dinner... WATER WATER WATER!!!

Put lemon in it if ya need to but.. WATER WATER WATER.

To ease the pain a little you can have ONE beverage each day that ISN'T water. Just ONE.. and it cannot be a 64fl oz big gulp. No more then 12 ounces. So.. use that for your coffee, your OJ, your glass of wine, whatever.. JUST ONE.

Got it? :) Let's see how we do.. and see who can drink the most water by Sunday midnight!!! Ready... Set.. GO!
  • pffssas
    Options
    @jnchorn i need your recipes, help! mac sounds delicious!!! plz keep them coming!!!
    @4n6junkie great challenge for this week! i'm going to sooo miss my soymilk smoothies in the am LOL! but i can do this!!!
    @robinso5 some times it takes a while to get your body to "return to normal" after meds or hormonal therapy. i recently went through the same struggle and no one seemed to understand!!! i finally went to see my doc last week and i have lost 3lbs just since fri...
    i agree with 4n6junkie don't listen to us, ask your md. we will be here cheering for you and supporting you EVERY STEP OF THE WAY!!! in the mean time DON'T GIVE UP keep following your meal plan and exercising. keep your body on a routine and whatever your doc says to do will be much easier. i'm here if you need me!!!
    Hope you ladies have a terrific week!!!
    Les
  • pffssas
    Options
    Happy Thursday ladies!!! If you joined the Dr.Oz ultimate challenge please email and let me know how you're doing!!! Is anyone seeing success with the 10k steps part of the challenge? I'm soooo luvn it!!!
  • pffssas
    Options
    Happy Saturday Challengers! Stumbled across the most incredible blog today!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ArmyWife1099/view/believe-it-achieve-it-a-letter-from-my-past-141460

her coaches newsletter hit home!

the part that touched me the most:

Takes a ilttle more to be a champion.

This particular newsletter was about the art of success, and these are the quotes she included:

"There are no secrets of success. Success is doing the things you know you should do. Success is not doing the things you know you should not do."

"Success is not confined to any one part of your personality but it related to the development of al the parts: body, mind, heart and spirit. IT IS MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR TOTAL SELF."

"Success is discovering your best talents, skills and abilities and applying them where they will make the most effective contribution to your fellow man."

"Success is 99% attitude."

"Success is a continuing upward spiral of progress. It is perpetual growth."

"Success is relative, individual and personal. It is your answer to the problem of making your minutes, hours, weeks, months and years add up to a good life." ~Wilford Peterson

"A champion not only dreams, but prepares for the adventure and thrill of success through hard work, persistence, and determination. Victory is so sweet, but to hear the words 'Well Done' will be the ultimate reward! To God be the glory for the great things He has done!!!" ~Coach Davies

"You will become as small as your controlling desire, as great as your dominant aspiration." ~James Allen

"Believe it, achieve it!"

Thanx armywife1099 that rocked!!!
  • jnchorn
    Options
    Hey all. I found an interesting forum post. Thought I would share....

"7 Day Challenge

This is a workout given to my daughter at then end of her cross country practice for them to do...she has challenged me to do this each day for the next 7 days with her:
    10 Squats
    10 crunches
    10 push-ups
    10 crunches with legs straight-out
    10 jumping jacks
    10 crunches with knees at 90 degrees
    10 supermans
    10 crunches with legs out and cross-over
    10 jump ropes
    10 crunches with legs split
    10 mountain climbers
    10 v-ups
    10 plank jacks
    10 right side crunches (lay on right side and push up through hips)
    10 right legged squats
    10 left leg crunches (lay on left side and push up through hips)
    10 bicycle

This should take about 4 minutes... great short workout. Measurements may be a good thing since will probably lose the inches during this week."
  • futurekilousky
    Options
    Hey guys, I have been having a hard time staying on track the past few days. My fiancé's work schedule totally changed so we just had our weekend which is now Wednesday to Friday. He doesn't have a weight problem and while he is very supportive and open to eating healthy, he indulges sometimes. This is where my willpower starts tO fail me. When we are out and he is eating a burger or something, I also want one.. Ugh

I got back on track with exercise yesterday and worked out for about 15 minutes which was better than nothing.

Going to the farmers market today so hopefully I'll find lots of healthy yummy things.

I am so scared to go on the scale now..