How can I value caloric intake on homemade smoked meats?

Options
Recently we got in to making homemade snack meats in our new smoker to provide new lean protein options. What is the best guide for measuring portion size? Do I measure before or after smoking the meat? Any tips are appreciated.

Replies

• xdbltrblx
    xdbltrblx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've always tried to find the nutritional value that is close to what I have.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    You generally want to weigh meats before preparing it but that will make it hard for you to know exactly how much you are eating after it's prepared. I would think you could weight it, prepare it, then weigh it again to see what the difference is in weight. If it's not a significant difference, go with the weight after it's been smoked. If it's a big difference, figure out what percentage it changed then add that percentage each time you log your food.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You could create a recipe. Weigh your meat and anything else you add as raw weights and add them to the recipe. When you are done smoking them, weigh them again in grams. That weight becomes your number of servings. Then when you go to have some, weigh it in grams and that becomes the number of servings you're having.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    We make homemade sausage and I use the recipe builder to figure calories.