Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why aren’t there more 500+ pound people?

TroyWebber
TroyWebber Posts: 19 Member
I was reading a statistic that the average American consumes 3750 calories a day.

Before I got in shape, I’m certain that I was averaging numbers like that but the largest I ever got was 238# ( 6’ tall guy)

When I lost weight it was really linear. I lost a pound a week over 65 weeks by using a 500 cal a day deficit.It went exactly how it was supposed to.

I still don’t understand why I wasn’t gaining a pound every week all those years that I was eating 1000+ calorie surplus a day? Or why the average American isn’t hundreds of pounds overweight given the Average calorie consumption.

I was almost completely sedentary for 20 years.My weight did go up, but it was a couple pounds a year over many years.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Maybe it's because you were young and your metabolism was higher?
  • TroyWebber
    Yeah that makes sense. Maybe It was a combination of being bigger and having a higher metabolism.I didn’t log food then,but I have been logging for a long time now. That is what got me thinking about this.Just remembering how I used to eat daily and knowing now what a diet like that is worth in calories, it just doesn’t seem like the math could add up to me only gaining a couple of pounds a year.But it did, so I guess the only explanation is that I burned the excess calories.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    I would question the source of that statistic. That seems unrealistically high and sensational. That and people are inconsistent with their eating habits and may eat at deficit, maintenance, or surplus and not be aware of this.

Metabolism is primarily driven by body mass. There really is no such thing as fast or slow metabolism, just minor adaptive changes based upon environmental variables...at least to a detectable degree.

• laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Metabolism is primarily driven by body mass. There really is no such thing as fast or slow metabolism, just minor adaptive changes based upon environmental variables...at least to a detectable degree.

I think there is but not in the way people think. My TDEE is 2000-2100 cals/day which is higher than what MFP predicts based on my weight, height, and activity level (1800 cals/day). But I am one of those nervous people who is always getting up, pacing around, stretching, having nervous twitches like tapping or leg jiggling, etc. I think that burns a low but steady rate of extra calories throughout the day and is part of why I have never been overweight.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member

I think there is but not in the way people think. My TDEE is 2000-2100 cals/day which is higher than what MFP predicts based on my weight, height, and activity level (1800 cals/day). But I am one of those nervous people who is always getting up, pacing around, stretching, having nervous twitches like tapping or leg jiggling, etc. I think that burns a low but steady rate of extra calories throughout the day and is part of why I have never been overweight.

I should clarify - when I say metabolism I'm referring to BMR and not factoring in activity as this is a known variable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    TroyWebber wrote: »
    I was reading a statistic that the average American consumes 3750 calories a day.

Before I got in shape, I’m certain that I was averaging numbers like that but the largest I ever got was 238# ( 6’ tall guy)

When I lost weight it was really linear. I lost a pound a week over 65 weeks by using a 500 cal a day deficit.It went exactly how it was supposed to.

I still don’t understand why I wasn’t gaining a pound every week all those years that I was eating 1000+ calorie surplus a day? Or why the average American isn’t hundreds of pounds overweight given the Average calorie consumption.

I was almost completely sedentary for 20 years.My weight did go up, but it was a couple pounds a year over many years.

Not sure how credible the statistic is, but even if it's correct, someone is going to maintain on 3750 calories long before they hit 500 Lbs simply because of body mass and what is required to maintain that body mass.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    I should clarify - when I say metabolism I'm referring to BMR and not factoring in activity as this is a known variable.

I know but I'm saying that baseline tendency towards being more still or more fidgety isn't what people would necessarily think of when they think of "activity." So they think that these differences in daily calorie needs are due to metabolism.

• TroyWebber
    I just did a tdee calculation based on 500# 6 ‘ tall , sedentary ,40 year old guy and you are correct. It would take 3850 cal to maintain.I never would have imagined that it would be such a difference.It makes sense,though.That is a lot of extra weight to heat and move.