How to find time as a Single Mom to Workout

Options
Hey! Are there any single Moms out there who can give advice about what you do to make sure you get a workout in? By the time my daughter goes to sleep I'm exhausted and I'm horrible to wake up in the morning. Appreciate any and all advice!

Replies

• VirginiasMom
    VirginiasMom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've learned to wake up early enough to work out. However, prior to this I've:

1. Gone to gyms with day cares
    2. Done "Just Dance" and other active/fun games with my daughter (they do wear you down...)
    3. Had my daughter to yoga with me
    4. Worked out while my daughter watches TV in the other room

A lot will depend on how old your daughter is (mine is 6). Good luck!
  • nurse_1
    nurse_1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I’m a single mom to 4 kiddos..all of my working out is at home or outside with my kids. I have a treadmill in my living room, kettlebells and free weights. I do a lot of body weight exercises. I’ve also done some videos on YouTube. We go to walking trails when it’s nice out.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    went to the gym after he went to school.

usually i left before he left for school, but hes not little, so ....

you make the time if its important to you. even if that means learning to wake up early.
  • Claire5520
    Claire5520 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids? As that will make a difference to what you can do. Since mine were 9 & 11 I go to the gym whilst they're asleep/getting themselves breakfast then get back in time to supervise getting ready for school, then I go to work. I work full time. I hate early mornings but would rather the pain of going to bed early the night before to know I can get a workout in. I used to run in the evenings, but always feel guilty for not being 'present', plus don't find it easy to drag myself out at that time. I think you have to be creative and work around the age of your kids. Home workouts are good too if they're really young, but again, personally I could only see that working early mornings as I think finding energy for workouts in the evening really difficult.

Good luck!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    How, as a single parent, do you find time to get to work to support yourself and family? Negotiate to have that time extended three times a week to get a workout in?
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Brisk walking with kid(s) in carrier and/or stroller. When my littlest ones were babies I did the 30-day shred, a 20 min workout while they were napping. Of course this is not what you feel like doing with a few minutes to yourself, but it is very effective. I also used to keep hand weights in the kitchen to get a quick set of reps in while cooking.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    my children earned their black belts in taekwondo in a healthtrax gym and learned to swim - both of my kids became competitive swimmers ....my gym was my village in "it takes a village" and I got to train because my village was a gym....
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was an infant it was great because I'd just do Dance Dance Revolution when she slept. As she got older she went in her bouncy seat or sit 'n ' spin. A little older after that and I'd block off the living room so she couldn't get out while I was doing dvds (block her in with me).

Now she's 12 so I don't have to do anything special.

But I lost 95lbs in 15 months after she was born. We made it work :) Good luck!
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I’m not a single mom, but a play one during deployments. Anyway; I’ve struggled with that before and I’d do a video after they go to bed or just dance. Sometimes I’d ask them to dance with me. I’ve also done a gym with a daycare. But now that they’re older it’s gotten easier. Currently I’m trying to work out on my lunch break...but I just started this week and so if got to work out some timing issues.