injured leg

Options
The doctor said I did not need any PT after I broke my leg. He has just cleared me to drive. I was wondering if there is any leg exercises to strengthen it that arnt strenuous. No lunges! Does anyone else have experience with moving on after a broken bone?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Did he clear you to exercise?
    If so, do the usual squats, deadlifts, side and reverse lunges.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Following generic advice off the web could cause problems. Ask your doctor what to do.

Which bone did you break? And why no lunges?
  • Waffleomnom
    Waffleomnom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    well he cleared me to swim but not hike or anything. I broke my tibia and fibia. I have two screws under my knee which causes me some pain. I couldn't do lunges very well to begin with lol
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The healing process is highly important and can't be skipped. Honestly by going through the recovery process you will gain far more than being impatient. You have to remember the legs and body will already be a high amount of stress and adding extra stress from weights etc will actually only make the recovery process far longer than is nessary. Things like good nutrition are far more beneficial to the recovery process than doing weights. The swimming will be highly beneficial getting good blood flow around the leg without putting unnecessary stres on the leg. Best of luck on the recovery journey. Sometimes the journey is more important than the end
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Did he clear you to exercise?
    If so, do the usual squats, deadlifts, side and reverse lunges.

Exactly this.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    The healing process is highly important and can't be skipped. Honestly by going through the recovery process you will gain far more than being impatient. You have to remember the legs and body will already be a high amount of stress and adding extra stress from weights etc will actually only make the recovery process far longer than is nessary. Things like good nutrition are far more beneficial to the recovery process than doing weights. The swimming will be highly beneficial getting good blood flow around the leg without putting unnecessary stres on the leg. Best of luck on the recovery journey. Sometimes the journey is more important than the end
    Useful stress at appropriate intensity and volume from strength training incteases bone density and wouldn't prolong recover if programmed correctly.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Useful stress at appropriate intensity and volume from strength training incteases bone density and wouldn't prolong recover if programmed correctly.

True it's doing the appropriate amount of stress at the right time
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

True it's doing the appropriate amount of stress at the right time

Yep.