How do people stay motivated?

I use to be fit and all about the gym but a year ago I stop and started eating out and drinking a lot then I got pregnant all of this made me be 20lbs over weight and lazy 😫😭 I’m so sad and disappointed in myself how do I get motivated again?

Replies

• CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Well, when I started losing my weight in 2015 I kept thinking where I would be if I had not fallen off the wagon. Now that I have lost all the weight I keep thinking about all the work it took to get here and not wanting to do it all again.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    I look back at pictures of the 'old' me and they keep me moving forward. I don't ever want to go back there. I have MFP friends who I converse with daily... offering and receiving mutual support, motivation and inspiration. I read the MFP boards... some posts will irritate ya to no end because there are so many members that are self proclaimed doctors that seem to know what is BEST for everyone. You just have to take those with a grain of salt and move on pass them. Surrounding yourself with like minded folks goes a LONG way in helping you stay focused, but it still comes down to you and how bad you want it. Some days will be harder than others.... you just have to push on through them.
  • coolsinger
    coolsinger Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2019
    Honestly, it's easy to give yourself a reason/motivation to reach your goal. We all have our petty as well as vital reasons (I want to look good naked/in bikini or my health is getting affected or will be because obesity runs in my family, or I want to be healthy for my kids so I am fit enough even as I age etc.) Give yourself a petty reason (look good in bikini), a health reason (it's affecting my energy or blood sugar), and a heartfelt reason (to be fit for my family). Remind yourself every day. But here's the thing. You need to develop a habit plain and simple. Because I'll be honest, I'm often not motivated to workout or eat right but rather I am following my habit. You can't expect to be constantly motivated so build the habit of going to the gym (or home workout) at a certain time (after or before work for instance) and prepare your things beforehand. Bulk cook your food so your budget aligns with your health goals. Make a habit of logging after meals. And before you know it, you won't need to be motivated all the time but rather following habits. Soon you will simply align this new lifestyle with yourself and you won't be able to turn back. I have lost 50 or so lbs and am now focusing on shedding a few more with a focus on fat percent (gaining muscle, losing fat) so I keep the weight off for good. Feel free to add me! I log food and exercise daily in a public diary.
  • lediekiahg
    lediekiahg Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you guys!!! I think I need to surround myself with people that also want to change and be healthy! Everyone just wants to eat and drink and not just because of the holidays is just how my family and friends are
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    IMO, some of it is about making the process the goal (rather than the results). Like this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10662287/the-goal-is-the-process

Another part is experimenting with manageable changes of routine to find the combination that gets you to your goals while requiring the least "motivation", "determination", "will power", or other such things.

That involves figuring out what kinds of daily movement (exercise or otherwise) you personally find fun enough, and that fit into your life well enough, that you'll actually want to do them. Daily life movement counts, not just formal exercise. And lots of things count as "exercise", not just gym stuff.

It also involves figuring out what way of eating works best for you personally. For most people, the best formula isn't going to be a revolutionary, trendy, named "fat-burning" diet, but a manageable remodeling of their daily way of eating to manage the calories, enjoy eating, stay full, be practical, and get good nutrition. (Consider this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm).

Beyond that, one just has to make the decision, and commit to it. For me, for years, that was the hard part. If I knew what finally made things click, I'd bottle it and sell it. This is about the closest thing I know: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead

Best wishes!
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    lediekiahg wrote: »
    Thank you guys!!! I think I need to surround myself with people that also want to change and be healthy! Everyone just wants to eat and drink and not just because of the holidays is just how my family and friends are

It does make a difference, but that doesn't mean you have to stop hanging around the same friends.... you just have to make the 'healthier' choice for you in those situations.
  • andezz99
    andezz99 Posts: 56 Member
    The best reason is the one your holding....Keeping yourself fit so you have the energy to take care of that little one, to play, to be there for all of life's special moments. To be a healthy example for your child, to encourage them to take care of themselves when the get older. To be a mom who is there when other moms are overweight on a couch or battling heart disease. You are in a position to take your health either way. It's easy when you have young kids to fall in a rut because of the demands being a mother places on you but the importance of taking care of yourself will give you more energy and confidence to be the best mother, partner, person you can be. Besides you will look great and feel great.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    What is important to a person and what they value is what motivates them. If being at a healthy weight and fit is important to you, you do what it takes to get there. If it isn't, you don't.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Diabetes. That's what motivates me...not developing it full blown. My A1C test in October scared me to the point where I realize this "lifestyle" change is now permanent. My blood sugars were always good up until then and the thought of developing Type 2 diabetes with all its complications told me it's time to eat right, track what I eat and exercise more.

The sad part is I normally always ate quite healthy but because of the peripheral neuropathy in my legs I got way less exercise and the pounds started creeping up on me because I wasn't using any portion control.

OverWeight + Age + Sedentary = Type 2 diabetes...two of these I can change.....and this is what keeps me motivated.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    I find it helps to pre-log my daily calories the night before and have a plan. It's when I don't have a plan for what I'll eat that I tend to excessively snack or grab fast food because it's convenient.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    I think each of us taps into something quite personal and individual to drive our commitments to anything in life, including nutrition and fitness choices.

For all the years I SWORE on a stack of bibles that i would never get fat like my mother, it happened anyhow (and I helped! LOL)

It was seeing myself, at age 62, on a video tape with my 3 year old grandson that kicked me into high fitness gear. It’s no fun running around with an extra sixty pounds of fat on my 5’4” frame.

I’m 22 pounds down in the last four months. The significant change in my behavior is to log every single thing I eat and, weigh the portions with a scale, not my eyeballs, to be sure I’m not unintentionally sabotaging myself.

Good luck
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    sbelletti wrote: »
    I find it helps to pre-log my daily calories the night before and have a plan. It's when I don't have a plan for what I'll eat that I tend to excessively snack or grab fast food because it's convenient.

I am using meal prep approach to help me solve the convenience aspect of food that I want to eat NOW.
    An insulated lunch bag makes it easy to carry stuff with me, to work or on a long car ride.

It wasn’t an automatic transition from fast food to homemade food, and i do still get a fast something on the rare occasion, but overall, I eat more and more homemade, knowing the freezer/fridge has ready to quickly reheat food that tastes just like homemade (oh! It is! LOL)

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I think it totally sucks that somebody woo'ed your OP. You are a young mother. The life of being childless is gone and now you have to be healthy with responsibilities. It is possible and you can do it marvelously. Just remember to log your food accurately.
  • lediekiahg
    lediekiahg Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you I didn’t even notice that I was just reading all the nice and inspiring comments thanks everyone and I am kind of young (30) but I think 30 is a good age to have a baby! Thank you to you and all the positive comments!
    I think it totally sucks that somebody woo'ed your OP. You are a young mother. The life of being childless is gone and now you have to be healthy with responsibilities. It is possible and you can do it marvelously. Just remember to log your food accurately.

• ShopGirl9999
    ShopGirl9999 Posts: 775 Member
    One day at a time. If you have a bad day, well it happens...you are human.

Remember that you are not alone and as you can see there are others dealing with some of the same food diet weight issues.

Being a mom is wonderful and challenging. So do your best and be kind to yourself when you have an off day. You got this!
  • gabbys6624
    gabbys6624 Posts: 49 Member
    Diabetes runs in my family. My brother and dad have it and I am pre-diabetic. So that’s a huge motivation for me. Seeing what my dad has to go through everyday to regulate his blood sugars is also motivation.