Harsh on resolutioners....

Options
2»

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Every year there will be people making resolutions to start dieting and exercising. Some will stick with it and some won’t. I was one of those that started 6 years ago and stuck with it. We all have to start somewhere. I am cheering them on even though it’s mildly annoying when they clog the trails & parking lots because I know that sadly most of them will not keep at it and will be done showing up around February. As far as the crazy diets go, they will find out sooner or later that they usually don’t work long-term and hopefully find their way to MFP or other forms of calorie counting which does actually work.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Every year there will be people making resolutions to start dieting and exercising. Some will stick with it and some won’t. I was one of those that started 6 years ago and stuck with it. We all have to start somewhere. I am cheering them on even though it’s mildly annoying when they clog the trails & parking lots because I know that sadly most of them will not keep at it and will be done showing up around February. As far as the crazy diets go, they will find out sooner or later that they usually don’t work long-term and hopefully find their way to MFP or other forms of calorie counting which does actually work.

I agree with you 100%
    Doesn’t bother me one bit. I was one of those that gave up more times than you can imagine. A lot of people give up on their resolutions early in the year, but there will be some that keep at it, and I am totally happy for them!
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Zodikosis wrote: »
    There are annoying know-it-all resolutioners, but there's a fair number of annoying know-it-all year-round gym-goers too, some of who somehow feel more entitled to the space despite paying the same fees as everyone else.

I get this. My post above came off a little like I'd be entitled, but I just don't enjoy the ones that don't consider the people around them. If you've been walking on 2.0mph for 45 minutes and you can see the gym is packed, maybe it's time to give the treadmill up. I'd also never demand someone move from a machine/area just because "I've been coming here longer".

Definitely seen both happen. We should all be aware of our surroundings and try to be considerate of others.
    I agree, and in my old gym there was a 25 min cardio equipment rule when other people are waiting for the machines to deal with issues like that. As long as they get off the machine in 25 min, they did their bit and I don't really care what they do with the machine for that time.
  • andezz99
    andezz99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Since January is the start of the New Year and the end of the holidays, I think people are prone to reset the calendar and their goals for the new year. Even if a person last a month into their fitness goal that's better than nothing. For some, they will drop off due to discouragement or discipline, others will see improvement or just feel better and it will keep them on track for the next day, and the next, until its part of their daily habit. It never bothers me to see new faces when I am working out and I encourage any one to be supportive and helpful to the newbies.
  • eatingfoodles
    eatingfoodles Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    There are annoying know-it-all resolutioners, but there's a fair number of annoying know-it-all year-round gym-goers too, some of who somehow feel more entitled to the space despite paying the same fees as everyone else.

I get this. My post above came off a little like I'd be entitled, but I just don't enjoy the ones that don't consider the people around them. If you've been walking on 2.0mph for 45 minutes and you can see the gym is packed, maybe it's time to give the treadmill up. I'd also never demand someone move from a machine/area just because "I've been coming here longer".

Definitely seen both happen. We should all be aware of our surroundings and try to be considerate of others.
    I agree, and in my old gym there was a 25 min cardio equipment rule when other people are waiting for the machines to deal with issues like that. As long as they get off the machine in 25 min, they did their bit and I don't really care what they do with the machine for that time.

If people did that, we'd be golden. I wish we could get a half hour rule started here.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I see most of this as venting in anticipation....similar to shopping around the holidays. I've been in gyms most of my life and have never seen anything close to intimidation. On the forums its more frustration at battling the massive amounts of misinformation and woo.

I was never much of a resolutioner. The simple fact that so many would start at the most populated time of the year likely discourages more than it encourages.

Personally I love them. Keeps my membership payments low.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it doesnt bother me because i live in a tiny town with a tiny gym and never see any new people lol

i do however have old people who want me to join in their social hour over fox news which i am desperately trying to tune out with my headphones. but thats year round LMAO

i will say, the influx of new that quickly left, when I was in a larger area was slightly annoying. but... some stayed (not many), most left after a few weeks. whatever. i do me, they do them.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me, but I know one thing is for sure - whatever it takes to motivate someone is ok with me. Be it a new year, a new week, a new month, or a new day. Some people just need that feeling of being able to start over fresh and clean. Do you.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Yes it bugs me to no end seeing people wanting to make a positive change in themselves. *sarcasm*

I do get a little irked with people who purposely wait till the new year to make the changes and either continue their usualy excessive bad habits up until the very end, usually excessively and then cut myself off completely. More often than not I feel those are the ones who fail their resolutions rather than someone who decides to make gradual small changes.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    I’ve been on MFP for three years. So this doesn’t really pertain to me but I’ve noticed something. On my newsfeed with my friends and my FB, there are a lot of comments about the newbies coming in for January. Comments about how the forums and gyms will be overrun with “new year, new me” people and it’s annoying. Of course resolutions don’t always stick but it really could be the year someone makes a serious life changed forever. Its never bothered me.I guess I don’t really understand the hostility. (Not from all, but many.) Thoughts? Does it bug you?

Maybe it's a reflection on the kinds of people you have let into your news feed.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I was a resolutioner myself back in the day, so I get it. What gets me is sorting through an extra heaping helping of woo and snowflakes for the first three months of every year in the forums. It's ok, though, we're all properly braced for it.
  • kt90gurl
    kt90gurl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I made a new years resolution this year. First year that I have, and I've made it to myself, and not shared it with anybody. You guys can probably guess what it is, as I'm here, but I don't feel the need to shout about to my friends or facebook. I guess people that do shout about it on facebook either do it for validation, or motivation, or support, who knows. People are quick to judge though.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Resolution=none!!!!!!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm not bothered by people starting exercise or diets in January. They may or may not stick with it just like someone who starts in September or April. I don't go to a gym so I'm not competing for time or resources with anyone.

I think new year resolutioners are better to deal with than people who think they are going to lose 20 lbs a few weeks before going on vacation or their wedding day.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Just to point out as well - folks may just be generally crabby. Post-holiday letdown, maybe kids are still on break and driving them nuts...and you go the gym and have a hard time getting to use equipment or take classes. It adds up.