Binge Eating

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I too have struggled with binge eating. I ate everything in sight and didn't care. Mostly sugar. This is the year I pray to gain victory over my food struggles. I have gained over 25 pounds this past year. Ten pounds just in December when I went off the rails. Let's stop the insanity, let's help and support each other. I think I need to find the root of why I do this.

Yes, do that. Definitely do that.
  • kt90gurl
    kt90gurl Posts: 37 Member
    Depends if the binge happens due to emotions or to hunger. For me I could eat a whole cow, but then if something upsets me, could easily go on to binge about 4 choc bars. So telling someone to eat if its emotional binging, really would not help.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited January 2019
    kt90gurl wrote: »
    Depends if the binge happens due to emotions or to hunger. For me I could eat a whole cow, but then if something upsets me, could easily go on to binge about 4 choc bars. So telling someone to eat if its emotional binging, really would not help.

As calorie trackers, we tend to be kind of control oriented. We limit ourselves, while the majority go yolo. Control is a major emotion that people tend to ignore. When you add situations in life you cant control to many of us.... you can get binge eating. I have seen this with a close family member. When she loses control of certain aspects of life, she turns to food. I also have the strange feeling, there is guilt restriction going on... return of control.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    I binged so so badly last night. It's getting to the stage that I'm scared to go out because of the rapid weight gain. It feels so humiliating and i know people are judging me. I'm at a complete loss. I try so so hard everyday and everyday I fail. I really feel so trapped by it all.

I completely get what you are saying. Incredibly I only recently learned that binge eating disorder is a real thing, and that my behaviors check most of the boxes. I know how to lose weight simply and easily because I've done it many times, but then I binge and undo all my progress. I feel like all I can do is white knuckle it through those times until the urge passes.

I have also read that curing oneself is rarely successful without professional help. I really really hope that's not the case.

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I binged so so badly last night. It's getting to the stage that I'm scared to go out because of the rapid weight gain. It feels so humiliating and i know people are judging me. I'm at a complete loss. I try so so hard everyday and everyday I fail. I really feel so trapped by it all.

Can you ask your PCP/GP for a referral to a therapist? Eating disorders can be really hard to beat on your own.
  • dealima
    dealima Posts: 2 Member
    I’m just like you. I’d started binging as a kid and it had been my biggest battle. I did everything: surgery, diet, gym. It works but the results never lasts.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Yes, I too have had binges. I think you may have hit it, your are eating nutritionally void and high sugar items. Also, a few have said it but there may be deeper issues. Support is good.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    And I just want to add about a week or so ago, I had a BIG temptation where I was probably seconds from ordering everything I could afford on Door Dash. I started a post here, and got a lot of good feedback. When in doubt, reach out for support!
  • MarkWgetsfit
    MarkWgetsfit Posts: 12 Member
    Seems we are not alone. I also binge at night, mostly due to boredom and "couldn't give a f*$#" attitude. But I do care, I have two young daughters who I want to see grow up and have children, get married etc etc. I need both a kick in the bum and also a mindset change. Day one (again) has started today after a shock visit to the doctors yesterday. I also ate a family block of chocolate last night as a last hurrah... not good.