Trying no carbs for one week. Meal Ideas please!

Options
Hello everyone
I am going on holiday in September so want to get my weight to my lowest so been trying to exercise more & sticking within 1200 calories a day.
A friend has suggested we both try a week of having no carbs to see if it helps so was wondering if you could all help me with some yummy meal ideas which are ideally low in fat/calories :)

Thank you.
Stacey xxx

Replies

• TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I loooooooooooove no carbs. It's hard to stick to tho. Specially if there are other people in the family that you cook for. When I do it, I miss CRUNCHY stuff! And bread. And even start to miss things I don't even like! LOL

Omlets
    Tuna salad
    Chicken
    Chicken salad

All the good meaty/cheesey stuff that you shouldn't eat on a low-cal diet! :)

Good Luck!
  • lauraliz83
    Options
    Omelettes with various veg/ cheese fillings
    fritata
    veggie soups
    Chicken salads
    Stews made with chicken/quorn with veg (no potatos) using stock cubes and herbs to flavour
    mixed grill
    steaks with salad
  • gfchica
    gfchica Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Salads with meat in them, fish and veggies for dinner, omelets, like others have said. I like to make quiche without a crust so it's basically a sort of egg casserole but very yummy. I like lettuce wraps too.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I am quite new to the diet but can you all tell me the best high carb foods to avoid whilst trying to keep low carb?
    Thanks xx
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It is almost impossible to not eat carbs...Hope you mean low carb. carbs=energy , how are you planning on eating veggies if there is carbs in them? why dont you try cutting out processed carbs instead? I t's hard to keep eating very low carb for a long term, once you start eating them back you also gain the weight back. I suggest you eat atleased 100 grams of good carbs
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I am quite new to the diet but can you all tell me the best high carb foods to avoid whilst trying to keep low carb?
    Thanks xx
    oh, good...I'm glad you changed it to "low" carbs, not "no" carbs.

Cut out all flour...breads, pasta, crackers. Stick to lean meats, non-starchy veggies (like broccoli or cauliflower), and eggs. Try to eat cheese in moderation. Some nuts are OK but check the nutrition label. Depending on how low you're going, you might have a few berries (berries are the lowest in carbs, relatively). How low are you planning to go? Remember, you can subtract fiber from carbs to get your net carbs. But I would recommend staying away from "low carb" foods, like Atkins brands. It's not been proven that everyone can handle sugar alcohols the way the manufacturer claims. Stick with foods that are naturally low in carb.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    It is almost impossible to not eat carbs...Hope you mean low carb. carbs=energy , how are you planning on eating veggies if there is carbs in them? why dont you try cutting out processed carbs instead? I t's hard to keep eating very low carb for a long term, once you start eating them back you also gain the weight back. I suggest you eat atleased 100 grams of good carbs
    Its hard to stay on ANY diet regime for a long time, and low carb is no exception to that. When doing low carb, once you have gotten down to the weight and body composition you want to maintain long-term you can SLOWLY add back more carbs to find the amount you can tolerate. You won't automatically start gaining back lost weight unless you change to a diet which doesn't provide a caloric deficit. Even if you do raise the amount of carb you consume, I would stay away from starches, grains, and refined sugars and try to get most of your carbs from things like vegetables, nuts, and eggs. You don't need 100 grams of carbs to be "healthy"--there's nothing magical about that number. You can be perfectly healthy on a zero carb diet but that one really is very hard to maintain for most people.

These are my opinions only.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Cut out bread, pasta, potatoes, rice.. cut out extra sugar like in your coffee, tea, say no to juice (unless you're juicing yourself), alcohol, etc etc. Edit: ooops re "juicing yourself" - sounds funny. Of course I meant if you're juicing the fruit yourself lol
  • gfchica
    gfchica Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Also, corn, peas, and carrots should be avoided on a low carb diet.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Make lasagna but use cabbage instead of noodles - tastes great!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    veggies have carbs in them
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, I vomited for 3 days straight after a week of very strict no carbohydrates. Please don't vomit for three days on your vacation. Enjoy it.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys, yes low carb is what I meant lol. Doh!!
    Yesterday went ok but I was quite hungry from not having any pasta or potatoes.

I am a big lover of pasta & i love my potatoes too, im sure a few days going without them wont hurt too much.
    I have been doing alot of walking lately too so really hope it helps.
    Tonight I am making a rump steak with large mushrooms and salad xxx
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i don't think the whole "no / low carbs" will do anything in a week. it's something that has to be done over a longer term than a week. as far as i'm aware is that your body has to convert into using fat / protein for it's energy rather than carbs, and it takes a couple of weeks to get into that mode "ketosis".

i could be wrong, but that's what i get from it.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    When I have done low carb, I used mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    i don't think the whole "no / low carbs" will do anything in a week. it's something that has to be done over a longer term than a week. as far as i'm aware is that your body has to convert into using fat / protein for it's energy rather than carbs, and it takes a couple of weeks to get into that mode "ketosis".

i could be wrong, but that's what i get from it.
    No you are exactly right imo. Doing low carb is not a good way to drop a few pounds if you intend to switch back to a different diet when you've met your goal. Low carb is a lifetime lifestyle. Once you're on it for a while and have met your goals you can drop in a rare carb binge and as long as you resume low carb quickly, you won't have a problem. That has been my experience anyway.