Keto

Options
Curious if anyone has any tips for the Keto Diet, I just started, and I’ve done quite a bit of research, but I’d love to hear what others have to say and recommend while on this diet.

Replies

• schmoo_08
    schmoo_08 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’ve just started to, so would be interested in this too. Good luck on your journey. Happy New Year!
  • glw20109
    glw20109 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday myself, first day hit all my targets. Have done a lot of reading on line. Good luck to everyone. If I find any great resources I will post here.
  • sjabradley
    sjabradley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lots of Keto support Facebook Groups - I'm in the UK and the UK Keto Community is good. Also the groups associated with the experts such as Dr Jason Fung and Dr Eric Berg are also great groups to join. Ditch the Carbs is good too - based in NZ. Find the group local to you so that suggestions for recipes and foods local to you are easy to obtain. Pinterest has a great wealth of recipes. Search for Keto, paleo (no Booze or dairy but some of their recipes are good) or LCHF (low carb high fat).
  • hillarysmith0529
    hillarysmith0529 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I’m restarting Keto so always open to hear about other’s experiences! I’m a vegetarian so I know it’ll be a little challenging, but I need to stop eating so many carbs and sugars! Good luck to everyone and Happy New Year! Feel free to add me for support too :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Get lots of sodium I. Order to avoid low electrolytes (keto flu) which includes headaches, fatigue, nausea my BM issues, moodiness, muscle aches and pains. Most will need at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium1 tsp salt = 2300 mg sodium.
  • mcoelho5284
    mcoelho5284 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started in mid-December. I know, crazy huh? Right in the middle of the eating season! I'm not much of a dessert person, but I was eating quite a bit of bread and other high carb things. The Keto diet has worked for me because I love fat and cheese! Go out and buy a recipe book or look on line for recipes, just to keep you out of a rut. The first week, I was tired, and CRABBY! I called it the Keto crabs. But it went away and I have more energy. I'm also losing weight. 6 lbs since mid December. Woo Hoo. I've even contacted my doctor to do a blood test to see how it is effecting my body. I use Fitness Pal to keep track of my nutrients and calories. I haven't gone down below 30 grams of carbs a day. I am a complete novice and have been learning more on-line and through chats like this. Oh, at first, you also don't feel like eating - don't worry - the fats make you feel full. I didn't have the Keto flu, mainly because I love pickled, salty snacks, like olives and pickles. High sodium. I also like my wine, so I factor in a glass a night. Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    shaws19 wrote: »
    Hi I started on the 3rd Jan at 196.5 & today I’m at 189.6!!! I haven’t done any exercise yet, but going to start walking today.
    I am getting headaches in the afternoon so need to work on my snacks...

Water weight loss is impressive in the beginning, it's your body using up glycogen stores. As nvmomketo
    points out....upping your sodium intake helps.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    been doing keto since september. here's some tips i've learned along the way...

1. be prepared. food prep. my schedule is a bit crazy with long days sometimes and it helps to have premade meals i can just reheat. that way i am not stopping at fast food or grabbing take out or pizza.
    2. its still all about calories in versus calories out. keto is not an all you can eat buffet.
    3. check the internet. for me, many recipes have come off instagram but there are great site out there that can help with meals and not eating same thing over and over every day.
    4. always have a keto friendly snack on hand. maybe its a keto friendly granola bar or cheese slices or a protein shake. but always have something.
    5. your breath will stink so find keto friendly gum or mints for the sake of others.
    6. i still have a few keto friendly drinks in order to keep my sanity.
    7. dont care what other people think. find what works for you and stick with it.

good luck and stick to it. results happen.
  • Mobolu
    Mobolu Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Omg were literally on the same path. I started on the 3rd as well. I weight 190lbs. Haven’t weighed myself yet though. I learned that the first couple of pounds (8-10lbs) we lose are primarily water weight. Once your body slowly gets adjusted to the drastic change in your body then it will start shedding fat and it might get a little harder to see the weight drop off. But don’t rely on your scale to see progress. Rely on the photos you take and the inches you lose.