How long did it take you to notice the scale going down?

Options
FoxAndOpal
FoxAndOpal Posts: 14 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I started counting calories again on Tuesday, and I’m up 6lbs as of this morning. Seeing that number was shocking. I went from binge eating complete trash (probably 3500-5000cal/day) to eating 1,700-2,000/day. I’m 5’5 and started at 286 and generally burn around 2,800-3,000cal/day so there’s no way I’m not in a deficit. I track every drink and bite in grams and mL. The only difference in way of eating is that I switched to plant based and have been eating waaaay more vegetables and fiber. But I thought fiber moved your bowels along and didn’t clog them up. Is this water weight? I feel panicky already.

Replies

• kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If your calories are being accurately tracked just give it more time! I know it's frustrating, we all want fast results but unfortunately we need to be patient. (Telling this to myself too)
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It could be a temporary increase in fluid if you haven't been used to eating vegetables so could go with a whoosh. Don't get downhearted and good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    Water weight and average digestive system contents can vary all over the place in the first weeks of a new routine. Neither is fat, so they shouldn't be a worry.

Give it 4-6 weeks (full menstrual cycle plus a bit if a premenopausal woman), then adjust if necessary.

Hang in there! :)
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. As the others have said, stay the course. If you're logging and weighing everything, and the reflection of those numbers leave you in a deficit, then it will only be a matter of time before you start seeing results on the scale.

It took a full month before I actually started seeing the scale go down, because I put trust in what I was doing, understanding that the science of being in a constant deficit would eventually start a downward trend on the scale. Although, I started seeing results not scale related first.

Good luck.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I know that seems like a big number -- but keep in mind that it's only 2 percent of your starting weight. That's a perfectly normal weight fluctuation. Could be from increasing exercise, higher sodium (canned veggies, for example, can have more -- as can cheese!), and if you're female, ovulation or menstruation.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Fiber's a funny thing. It can move things along, or it can be a giant roadblock, particularly if it's a sudden change with a huge influx your body isn't used to. Diet changes in general tend to leave me with issues like that, and it's shocking to see the huge weight drop once everything..uh.. clears out.

Nothing wrong with continuing to monitor the scale, just be patient (or stubborn) and keep an eye out for constipation concerns.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Eat apples if you are having issues with fibre
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    FoxAndOpal wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I’m feeling a little bit better. Intellectually I know that I couldn’t put on 13lbs (by mid-day, after I weighed again because I am a masochist) of fat in 4 days. I have typically only dieted drastically before–either doing something like keto that makes you drop a ton of water weight in the first couple of days or massively restricting my calories. My goal is sustainable weight loss this time, so I’m going to trust the process and keep diligently tracking. I’ll probably put my scale away until the one month mark and then reevaluate progress.

I also thought about putting the scale away for a month or so but then someone suggested a website called trendweight.com. You weigh daily and it helps "smooth" out all the fluctuations to show a (hopefully downward) trend line. I love it so far and it makes me feel better when the scale jumps up for no good reason. Just thought I'd suggest that as an alternative! :)
  • FoxAndOpal
    FoxAndOpal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eat apples if you are having issues with fibre

My issue is definitely not that I’m lacking fiber. I’m averaging about 60g per day.
  • PaigeAnderson1793
    PaigeAnderson1793 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Please give it some time. There are so many reasons why your weight could be fluctuating that it's not even funny. I would wait a few weeks and you will see results. Stay consistent and drink plenty of water etc. You will lose weight!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great insights!!!