TMI but why am I having major bathroom issues now that I’m eating healthy????

Options
I’ll spare the details but I have been eating and logging for about a week now, lots of fruits, veggies, meats and nuts, cheese etc and lots more water than my body is used to. I also have cut soda completely. And for the past few days I have had bathroom issues that have kept me in and out of the bathroom all day. It’s very annoying. I am feeling discouraged because it’s not a good way to spend my weekend confined to my house. My good friend tells me it’s my body clearing out all the toxins (my old diet??) but it doesn’t make sense. Anyone know anything about this? 😬

Replies

• 2O2OisMyYear
    2O2OisMyYear Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I feel like I had less gut issues when I WASNT eating healthy. So discouraging. I hope it doesn’t last because this is a lifestyle change I can’t deal with 😐
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Cheese and meat can be constipating, at least for me.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    The increase in fiber coupled with a likely change in your gut flora due to the influx of different food is probably the cause of your diarrhea.

Saying that, it's entirely possible that you are having a reaction to one of the foods you're eating. Before I had IBS, I never got along particularly well with spinach, for example. My mother was always saying how she never got along well with corn.

Saying that, it's usually best to increase one's fiber intake slowly. So maybe do a mix of your old and new diet, gradually increasing the ratio of fiber-rich foods and seeing if that helps.

If it doesn't, try keeping a food journal to see if you notice any correlations between problem times and particular foods. The easiest way to do this is to eat a varied diet so that you're not eating the same foods all the time and it's easy to spot a likely culprit.
  • 2O2OisMyYear
    Options
    Definitely not constipated. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Sorry, quick read and missed the important sentence. Reasons are the same, but yeah coffee probably won't help.
  • 2O2OisMyYear
    Options

What I mean by more than normal amounts is water is 8 cups. Before my big change I was probably having 1 cup a day and drinking soda. I don’t mean like I’m having super crazy amounts or anything
    I am not sure why so many people think that constipation would have OP in and out of the bathroom all day.

OP, this is your body adjusting to your new fiber intake. It sounds like you made a sudden change to your diet. Also, you mention fruits first. Try to limit fruits to one serving a day until you get adjusted, and stick to things like berries that are lower in fruit sugars that can push things through your system faster than fiber itself.

Another thing you mention is "lots more water than my body is used to." Too much water can lead to getting rid of it through the digestive track, rather than absorbing it and processing it through the kidneys, as well. Make sure you are drinking reasonable amounts of water, maybe try a half way point between where you used to be and where you have been this week.

Be aware that you can still be allergic to "healthy" as well. Spinach gives me the runs, and something in my husband's favorite kale mix gives me loose stools, although not diarrhea. Bananas trigger an asthma attack. This is not an excuse to go back to a low fiber, low veg diet, just a reason to keep an eye on how certain foods might affect you.

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Ugh. I feel like I had less gut issues when I WASNT eating healthy. So discouraging. I hope it doesn’t last because this is a lifestyle change I can’t deal with 😐

I eat a mostly whole foods woe (base of veg/fruit/whole grains/beans) and I'm 'regular' 2-3 times a day, but it's not bothersome-it's just my body processing things differently than with my old woe.
  • 2O2OisMyYear
    Options
    Looking at my diary from the last week, I’ve had 14-19g of fiber a day.. which is way below the goal of 25g mfp chose for me.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I assume you're having diarrhea, then? Things that might cause this, just off the top of my head:

- eating more insoluble fiber than usual. Insoluble fiber is found in many green vegetables, among other foods. Some "whole grain" foods are high in insoluble fiber. Swapping some of the insoluble fiber for soluble fiber may help. Many fruits have soluble fiber, as well as oats. Overall, it's generally best to increase fiber intake slowly.
    - intolerance of sugar alcohols. Check for these ingredients: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/sugar-alcohols.html
    - eating more fat than usual, even if it's supposedly "healthy" fat
    - consuming more caffeine than usual
    - undiagnosed allergy or intolerance of some food you've recently introduced or started eating more of
    - other undiagnosed medical concern, such as IBS
    - drinking a LOT of water. You would have to be drinking far more water than needed, and/or your body would have to have some problem with excreting that water, for overhydration to occur. However, overhydration is a serious medical concern and diarrhea is a possible symptom, so it's something to be aware of.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    What does your sodium look like right now?

In addition to what others have said, keep in mind that sodium -- which can be found in canned veggies and in cheese, among other things -- can have laxative effects if you suddenly eat too much of it, or more than what your body was expecting.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Looking at my diary from the last week, I’ve had 14-19g of fiber a day.. which is way below the goal of 25g mfp chose for me.

It isn't a question of what your goal should be, but where you are now compared to where you were a week ago. Changes in fat levels, fiber levels, starch levels, water levels, caffeine levels...will all affect your digestive system. Some people even vomit with sudden changes in either direction. Your body needs time to adapt.

Agreed. Also, I wouldn't take the data entries as fact regarding fiber. They are user generated and not wildly accurate for all the elements.

As others have said, you've increased your fiber intake and your body is adjusting. Give it a few weeks.