Trying Something New-Keto/Low Carb

Options
Hello!!! My name is Deana, and I am a 34 y/o, married with 2 beautiful girls. I’m new to MFP and am also new to the Keto or Low Carb life. I participated in WW last year and lost about 30lbs. Unfortunately, old habits die hard and I gained about 37lbs back. It is my hope to lose even more this time around and really learn how to maintain my goals. Wish me luck!! Oh, add me!!! I need MFP friends!!

Replies

• AdamPay1990
    AdamPay1990 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello, I get an error when trying to add you. Try adding me ? I’m in Keto and always looking for more keto friends :)
  • kristinnaxx
    kristinnaxx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looking for keto friends too!
  • Christylk76
    Christylk76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Been doing keto since August. Would like friends to encourage & share tips, feedback. Etc.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Could someone please tell me the difference between Keto dieting and just low carbing? (Cutting the amount of carbsvyou eat).
  • robinsondeanav4674
    Options
    Hey!! Well, I’m still learning myself, but Keto is a very strict diet that is low carb(20g net carbs), high protein(86g). Whereas low carb is focused mainly on carb reduction. There are several variations of low carb diets.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Could someone please tell me the difference between Keto dieting and just low carbing? (Cutting the amount of carbsvyou eat).

I dont do either, but my understanding is It's basically a question of degrees. Low carb is usually defined as under either 150g of carbs or more commonly under 100g. Keto is usually 50g or below, and often is geared towards getting into ketosis, different people being able to get in and stay in ketosis at different levels of carbs.

Both would require increasing your fat macro, to either moderate or high, as the body uses either carbs or fat for energy.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Like you found with WW, there's a difference losing weight temporarily and permanently. Habits are difficult things and eating behaviors are deeply rooted. A lot of folks lose weight fast on keto but it would be difficult for me to eat keto permanently. I'm having great success with a diet I love eating and walking for exercise. I couldn't have stuck with it without platejoy.com to plan lots of meal variety. You can set platejoy profile to keto or just low carb or many other styles. When you're ready to plan a weekly diet, get a free trial.
  • Leelalub
    Leelalub Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Keoters! My name is Lee. I just bought the book Simply Keto and can’t wait until it gets here so I can better educate myself on the keto lifestyle. I’ve done keto before in the last but wasn’t doing it right. Looking for support, meal plan ideas, etc...my goal is to lose 20 and maintain.