I need advice on how to avoid snacking and going over my calorie limit

Options
So over christmas break i’ll admit i’ve been a bit lax with my calorie limit, eating healthy but having a couple additional snacks so about 200-300 calories extra and since christmas break is over and I want to be as serious about my diet as I was prior to it, I need advice on how to get back onto the wagon.

How do I stop snacking because that’s what my main problem is; I’ll have a really filling dinner and I will still feel the need to snack after that. Any good advice?

Replies

• prehistoricmoongoddess
    prehistoricmoongoddess Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I fill in the foods I am intending to eat each day on MFP. When I feel I want an unplanned snack, I go over my foods yet to eat and decide whether I want upcoming meal, or if I can amend it so I can have the snack. Sometimes the meal is more important and sometimes the snack. I also try not to eat too many calories too early or this doesn't work. If I don't plan my foods, then sometimes I have too big a breakfast and there is too little that can be amended.
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid them - I include snacks in my calorie goal every day especially at night. I pre-log so I know that I have saved room for my evening snacks. If I go over somewhere else during the day I don't get the snack I was planning on - this helps me make better choices throughout the day.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with having a snack as long as it is added in your calorie count. Late this evening I am having two Jaffa cakes @ 43 calories each. This will be whilst I read my bedtime book.
  • ataraxial
    ataraxial Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Plan what youre going to eat in advance including snacks
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    First, I would consider if it's just habit or legitimate hunger. Have you chosen an appropriate weekly weight loss goal for your current size? Are you eating back exercise calories the way MFP was designed to be used?

If so, I would either plan your day to include the snacks, as others have said, or play with your macros and see if more protein, fat or fiber in your meals might prevent you from needing to snack. I also find flavored teas help if you truly don't have the calories to spare- the warm liquid provides volume & comfort, and sipping on it keeps me busy.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i plan for my snacks, try to make them healthy, and dont buy junk food that i like.

when i do have foods of lesser nutritional value ('junk' food lol), I plan for it and log it.
  • hunnymoons
    hunnymoons Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I buy favorite snacks and immediately portion them into 100 cal packs when I get home from the grocery story. I like snacking too, so I design my day to leave 100-300 cals at the end of the night so I can have one or a few snack packs from my snack bowl 😂
    I really like this idea omg, what would you typically put in these snack packs?

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I pre-log most of my food, including meals and an evening dessert. Usually I assume that I'm going to have a morning and afternoon snack. I may not pre-log exactly what those snacks are, but I've been around here long enough that I know how many calories my usual snacks/meals are and how I can fit them in. That's something you learn after you've been logging the same foods for a few years :)
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I try to not purchase any snacks in bulk. I will have a problem if I do that--I'll eat the whole thing in one day! A cheat day worked for me in the past, when there was ONE day that I would eat snacks. I find overall the best thing for me to do is to eat a 3 good solid meals with tasty foods and then if I have a snack it's a piece of fruit. With hearty meals (within my calories) I don't feel the need to snack. Decaf coffee or tea is also a good choice for me when I feel like having something outside of meals. Usually a coffee will eliminate the craving for me. I also find when I drink more water I am less likely to snack.
  • Tinmtug
    Tinmtug Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Don't give up. It's a life style and takes a little effort to eat preplanned amount of calories daily. Continue to log everything eaten. The effort spent rewards with greater sucess soon enough. Snack a little but still be accountable for the calories. Healthy snacks are even better.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    If it's something I know I can't portion control (like Pringles or Kettle Chips!) I don't buy it. You know your own weaknesses by now - portion control is only a valid plan if you know you're not the type of person to keep eating until it's all gone...

The sort of snacks I keep in stock are nice, but nothing I would ever have a craving for, so I'm not going to go crazy. And they're around 100 calories each, so even if I went for an unplanned snack, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I also keep busy as it's boredom that makes me snack. When I'm busy, I don't think about food, plus am more likely to be burning calories.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Just avoid it. No trick to it.