Help with mfp activity setting

Options
Hello everyone. Can anyone tell me what they believe is considered sedentary , light , active , very active in steps ?? For example. Without exercise I take in 12000 steps . With exercise my steps are up to 18000 ? I was putting in sedentary and then just having my Apple Watch add in the workout calories. Or should I set the activity setting to another level and also let my watch add exercise calories. ?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That level of daily non-exercise activity steps is Very Active easily.

Sedentary for most starts ending about 4K.

Apple Watch syncing doesn't work with MFP directly.

There is an expected way for the data to be sent to MFP. Total daily calorie burn.

MFP didn't force Apple to do it right - so wrong info is sent.

Syncing for calories is totally incorrect.

Unsync, or find another app to sync with the watch, that also syncs correctly into MFP. There are a couple that do it correctly along with all the other activity trackers.

So you'd set MFP to Very Active, and log those workouts manually if no sync.
  • Tashanicole444
    Tashanicole444 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much this helps . To maintain for very active it says. 2100 without exercise and 2500 with exercise. Sound. Crazy ?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Royce284 wrote: »
    Thanks so much this helps . To maintain for very active it says. 2100 without exercise and 2500 with exercise. Sound. Crazy ?

Nope, sounds about right. If you work a very active/intense job, your BMR will be higher. The algorithm factors this in when calculating your calories for your goal (whether you're trying to lose, maintain, or gain).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    What has Apple watch been estimating for total daily burn with and without the extra steps from exercise?

Now that you know what MFP is estimating for each level, you can adjust as required if seasons change what Apple is seeing you actually do.