Is it normal for weight to fluctuate up to 10 pounds?

Options
KrazyKrissyy
KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
For example:
Monday- 128
Tuesday- 136
Wednesday- 131
Thursday- 141
Friday- 136
Saturday- 129

One day I can look lean while the very next day I can look soft and vice-versa. These fluctuations happen even on low intake days (less than 1,000 net calories). I can consume 1,200 calories and be up 10 pounds the next day while another day I eat 1,800 calories and drop 5 pounds the following morning.

Another thing to add. My fluctuations are higher, the less carbs and more protein/fat I eat (ironic).

Replies

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Yes that is normal. Are you weighing yourself at the same time each day?

Carbs hold onto water. Its one of the main reasons people like the keto diet at first is because they loose alot of weight fast in the beginning. All it is is your glycogen storage depleting so its not true fat loss.

So if on Wednesday you ate higher carbs that day it would make sense why Thursday you weighed 10 heavier along with other factors.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Big fluctuations can happen. One other things to note: has your scale always been on a level surface when you've weighed yourself? When mine isn't (ex: carpet, textured floor, etc), I have have gigantic leaps like this in either direction. Also, are you weighing yourself in the morning (before food), or have you weighed yourself at different times? (Ex: in the morning, then at the end of the night the next day, etc.)

Additionally, you should be netting much more than <1,000 calories, and factor in that your weight can fluctuate 2, 5, even 10 pounds in a day.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Big fluctuations can happen. One other things to note: has your scale always been on a level surface when you've weighed yourself? When mine isn't (ex: carpet, textured floor, etc), I have have gigantic leaps like this in either direction. Also, are you weighing yourself in the morning (before food), or have you weighed yourself at different times? (Ex: in the morning, then at the end of the night the next day, etc.)

Additionally, you should be netting much more than <1,000 calories, and factor in that your weight can fluctuate 2, 5, even 10 pounds in a day.

My scale stays in the same spot 24/7 (wooden floor, corner of living room). Also, I calorie cycle and go by weekly intake instead of daily. That's why some days are much lower than others.
    The irony is, my big drops tend to happen the morning after a higher carb day.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »

Carbs hold onto water. Its one of the main reasons people like the keto diet at first is because they loose alot of weight fast in the beginning. All it is is your glycogen storage depleting so its not true fat loss.

So if on Wednesday you ate higher carbs that day it would make sense why Thursday you weighed 10 heavier along with other factors.

My experience is exactly the opposite. I weigh daily and the pattern I'm noticing is that my 5-10 pound increases are the days after eating low carbs and high fat/protein/meat. My 5-10 pound drops are always the days after high carb and low fat/protein. Ironic lol.
  • Tankiscool
    Options

My experience is exactly the opposite. I weigh daily and the pattern I'm noticing is that my 5-10 pound increases are the days after eating low carbs and high fat/protein/meat. My 5-10 pound drops are always the days after high carb and low fat/protein. Ironic lol.

Oh gotcha I wasn't sure what exactly you meant by your last sentence.
    Have you been in a calorie deficit for a long time? I ask because when I do that too when I've been in a deficit for a few months and take a diet break and typically eat more carbs then as well it helps force a "whoosh" in a way.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options

Have you been in a calorie deficit for a long time? I ask because when I do that too when I've been in a deficit for a few months and take a diet break and typically eat more carbs then as well it helps force a "whoosh" in a way.

A weekly deficit yes. I calorie cycle and carb cycle. I go by weekly calories. I used to be keto (for my epilepsy) but couldn't sustain it long-term and gained 40 pounds on it so I threw in high carb days (2 or 3) each week.
  • Tankiscool
    Options

A weekly deficit yes. I calorie cycle and carb cycle. I go by weekly calories. I used to be keto (for my epilepsy) but couldn't sustain it long-term and gained 40 pounds on it so I threw in high carb days (2 or 3) each week.

I wonder if the cycling attributes to the larger fluctuations then if you are happy with it I'd say continue to do it. My weight fluctuates as well. Do you track your weight with an app or in Excel so you can see a trend? That helps me not go crazy lol.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    edited January 2019
    Options

I wonder if the cycling attributes to the larger fluctuations then if you are happy with it I'd say continue to do it. My weight fluctuates as well. Do you track your weight with an app or in Excel so you can see a trend? That helps me not go crazy lol.

I track on LoseIt app. Here's the trend I see.
    *eats 1,000-1,400 calories of meat, coconut oil, green veggies, cheddar cheese, etc* - (weighs 3-10+ pounds the next day). Trend continues. Is up over 10 pounds by the end of the weekday.

Weekend comes around. *eats 1,400-1,800 calories of rice, fruit, oats, beans, egg whites, lowfat cheese, veggies, cereal, grits, frozen waffles, syrup, etc* - (weighs 3-10+ pounds less on Sunday and Monday morning).

Mind you, I do keto for epilepsy, otherwise I would go back to my high carb, low fat vegan/vegetarian diet I used to be on when I was 40 pounds lighter and had more energy and less digestive problems.

Not only have I gained on keto over the years (before tossing in occasional high carb days). Keto gives me reflux, bloating, gas, etc. And I feel sluggish on keto days. The carb-ups I recently began throwing in are a life saver. On high carb days I have a flat stomach and full of energy.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    edited January 2019
    Options

*eats 1,000-1,400 calories of meat, coconut oil, green veggies, cheddar cheese, etc* - (weighs 3-10+ pounds the next day). Trend continues. Is up over 10 pounds by the end of the weekday.

Weekend comes around. *eats 1,400-1,800 calories of rice, fruit, oats, beans, egg whites, lowfat cheese, veggies, cereal, grits, frozen waffles, syrup, etc* - (weighs 3-10+ pounds less on Sunday and Monday morning).

Mind you, I do keto for epilepsy, otherwise I would go back to my high carb, low fat vegan/vegetarian diet I used to be on when I was 40 pounds lighter and had more energy and less digestive problems.

Not only have I gained on keto over the years (before tossing in occasional high carb days). Keto gives me reflux, bloating, gas, etc. And I feel sluggish on keto days. The carb-ups I recently began throwing in are a life saver. On high carb days, I have a flat stomach and full of energy.
  • Tankiscool
    Options

Not only have I gained on keto over the years (before tossing in occasional high carb days). Keto gives me reflux, bloating, gas, etc. And I feel sluggish on keto days. The carb-ups I recently began throwing in are a life saver.

Do you find that keto really helps your epilepsy symptoms? It seems to be doing more harm than good in a way if you don't feel good? Because if you felt better eating your old way I'd recommend going back to that so you could feel like your old way of eating.

I wonder if the sluggishness is from the cycling as well. Isn't there something called the "keto flu" where people feel like crap when doing it for the first few days?
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options

Not only have I gained on keto over the years (before tossing in occasional high carb days). Keto gives me reflux, bloating, gas, etc. And I feel sluggish on keto days. The carb-ups I recently began throwing in are a life saver.

Do you find that keto really helps your epilepsy symptoms? It seems to be doing more harm than good in a way if you don't feel good? Because if you felt better eating your old way I'd recommend going back to that so you could feel like your old way of eating.

I wonder if the sluggishness is from the cycling as well. Isn't there something called the "keto flu" where people feel like crap when doing it for the first few days?

My seizures have reduced on keto. At the same time, I've developed lots of digestive issues (and gained lots of weight). It's not the keto flu. Before throwing a couple carb days in, I was very strict keto for over a year. But the weight gain became too much. On my app's weight logs, it shows a slow yet upward trend during the 1+ year of strict keto. So I eventually tossed in high carb days, and that's when I finally broke the plateau or whatever. That being said, the trend now looks like a big yoyo. On the plus side, its no longer trending up but the crazy swings (up and down) are obvious.
  • Tankiscool
    Options

My seizures have reduced on keto. At the same time, I've developed lots of digestive issues (and gained lots of weight). It's not the keto flu. Before throwing a couple carb days in, I was very strict keto for over a year. But the weight gain became too much. On my app's weight logs, it shows a slow yet upward trend during the 1+ year of strict keto. So I eventually tossed in high carb days, and that's when I finally broke the plateau or whatever. That being said, the trend now looks like a big yoyo. On the plus side, its no longer trending up but the crazy swings (up and down) are obvious.

Sorta a double edged sword but I imagine the digestive issues are manageable compared to the seizures. I've heard people talk about vegetarian keto, not sure what or how the entails but I imagine it's alot more restrictive, have you tried that?

Are you happy with what your weight is at now or trying to loose weight? Is it that the yo-yos of up and down are getting to you?
  • KrazyKrissyy
    edited January 2019
    Options

Sorta a double edged sword but I imagine the digestive issues are manageable compared to the seizures. I've heard people talk about vegetarian keto, not sure what or how the entails but I imagine it's alot more restrictive, have you tried that?

Are you happy with what your weight is at now or trying to loose weight? Is it that the yo-yos of up and down are getting to you?

Vegetarian keto? Interesting. Thank you! And no, I'm not happy with my current weight. I'm 5'6 and started keto at around 117 pounds. I'm now slightly over 150. I'm uncomfortable when I pass 130. My highest weight was around 190. I was overweight since childhood and technically have been dieting since middle school. When I was a lot younger and first starting off though, it wasn't by choice. My mom put me on my first few diets when I was in middle school and high school. She's a former model, a former bulimic (I'm NOT), and long-term dieter. She was also a stay at home mom and would pack my lunches and cook meals in accordance to whatever diet she had me on at the time so I really had no choice.
    When I began college is when I was vegan/vegetarian (by choice) and lost 70 pounds. Am in my 4th year of college now. I've technically been on every diet you can imagine. Gained and lost weight multiple times to this date (although I never used to weigh daily. More like monthly). Now that I think about it, the pattern is interesting.
    My most successful diets (lost weight on) were Mediterranean, South Beach, Starch-based, Fruitarian, Paleo, and Vegan/Vegetarian.
    My least successful diets where I gained include Atkins, Zero Carb (Carnivore diet), and Keto.
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that 8oz of water is about 1lb of weight. Trying weighing your self first thing waking up that might be more consistent. It could just be water weight or your scale has a high percentage of error.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i can weigh myself on any given day thoughout the day and it can be up to 10 pounds variance.
    its normal.

i weigh officially once a week (friday usually), first thing in morning after going to the bathroom and before eating anything or going to the gym.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone’s sharing that this is normal but I’’ve never experienced it at a much higher BW than the OP.
  • Tankiscool
    Options

Vegetarian keto? Interesting. Thank you! And no, I'm not happy with my current weight. I'm 5'6 and started keto at around 117 pounds. I'm now slightly over 150. I'm uncomfortable when I pass 130. My highest weight was around 190. I was overweight since childhood and technically have been dieting since middle school. When I was a lot younger and first starting off though, it wasn't by choice. My mom put me on my first few diets when I was in middle school and high school. She's a former model, a former bulimic (I'm NOT), and long-term dieter. She was also a stay at home mom and would pack my lunches and cook meals in accordance to whatever diet she had me on at the time so I really had no choice.
    When I began college is when I was vegan/vegetarian (by choice) and lost 70 pounds. Am in my 4th year of college now. I've technically been on every diet you can imagine. Gained and lost weight multiple times to this date (although I never used to weigh daily. More like monthly). Now that I think about it, the pattern is interesting.
    My most successful diets (lost weight on) were Mediterranean, South Beach, Starch-based, Fruitarian, Paleo, and Vegan/Vegetarian.
    My least successful diets where I gained include Atkins, Zero Carb (Carnivore diet), and Keto.

I have only heard people talk about it, not sure what it all entails, I guess tofu isn't too high in carbs. Do you think its the meat or the high fats that give you the digestive problems? Wondering if you could just eat mostly veggies, tofu, and eggs or even egg whites and still helping your seizures and feeling like yourself. I am not sure how strict you are on your keto diet now, some people are very strict and only eat under 20g of carbs and there are others who are a lenient and eat more than that and typically from veggies.

Sorry to hear that about your mom forcing you to diet and policing everything that went into your mouth, that is never good to hear. Seeing the scale climb up and down is depressing, I get that. Just keep in mind that it doesn't represent who you are and its just a number. Constantly remind yourself that this is just part of the process that is Krissy, if thats your name. Maybe just start taking your lowest weights on Sundays as Mondays as your true weights? I wouldn't use an average being that you have such a large gaps in data points, but maybe see if that trend is going down from those days weights, I imagine you are trying to get down below 130? On Monday you were 128 thats great!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I appreciate everyone’s sharing that this is normal but I’’ve never experienced it at a much higher BW than the OP.

I would respectfully point out that you are male, and don't experience a menstrual cycle or hormone fluctuations like the female OP.

Oops, you’re right, thanks for reminding me and my apologies to OP and others here who have those forces wrecking havoc with their weigh-ins.